Gun Control

Roark

. . .some states the 5.56 is legit for deer too.

This is true but I sure wish that it wasn't legal.

I shot my first deer (and probably the next half dozen or so) with a .243 and I think that even that is probably a little on the light side. That said, deer in the south are a lot smaller than the corn fed deer up here . . .

Where my son went pig hunting in N. Kali the guides were recommending at least a 7.62 because of a majority of long shots instead of closer ones. The nice thing was he just bought a different complete upper and was good to go.

Used to have a Rem 742 in 243 and 760 in 270. My first deer was a big muley out by Stuart, Ne (keya paha area) with an old Western Field 30/30 lever. Hit it at about 75 yards while it was walking through a stand of trees. It ran for about 100 yds.; followed the trail; voila. :D

But that 742 was a sweet shooting rifle.

And size does matter :) :

sizedoesmatter_zps6bb67c2c.jpg

5.56 vs. 50 BMG :D

• 4 months later...

Apparently there is at least one type of gun that the NRA doesn't like!

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jon-stewart-finally-finds-the-one-gun-the-nra-does-not-like/

Stewart first mocked the outcry over Chipotle banning guns (an assault on freedom so dire Stewart cried, “Why don’t I just let the king of England sh#t in my mouth?”) before getting to the “smart gun” issue. See, smart guns would actually make sure your gun can only be used by you and no one else, but apparently the NRA is outraged, which Stewart just didn’t quite understand.

And even with New Jersey working out a deal with the NRA that “will repeal a gun control law if, in return, you consent to let people sell more guns,” the NRA isn’t budging. Which led Stewart to catch the logic trap that is the NRA finally finding a gun they are objecting to putting on the market.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/03/14/georgia-legislators-think-felons-should-be-able-to-shoot-you.html

Guns in K-12 schools? Check! Eliminating state licenses for gun dealers? But of course! Limit the governor’s powers to regulate guns during a “state emergency?” Can you say UN-led supranational hit squad riding shotgun aboard a black helicopter piloted by President Obama specifically coming to your house to take your handgun?!

It’s all in there folks, and then some. Every bit of paranoia and lack of interest in public health we’ve come to expect from the strange group of gun fondlers at the heart of today’s concealed- and open-carry movements. The belief that it is their “right” to carry a gun anywhere, anytime for any purpose, which leads my friend Elliot Fineman, president & CEO of The National Gun Victims Action Council (full disclosure: I consult for them, and sanity), to often ask in response, “What about my right to safety?” Indeed.

Yet, the most insidious part of this bill, which has been mostly missed by the media, probably makes this the most extreme gun legislation to have ever been considered in this country. I’m having a hard time typing this it is so ridiculous, but here it goes. Those using a Stand Your Ground defense—you know, for when someone comes along with the especially threatening jumbo bag of Skittles—would no longer have to be in compliance with Georgia’s Criminal Code. That’s right, a felon who has illegally obtained a gun (it is by definition illegal for a felon to have one) can now fire at will at someone playing that newfangled rap music in their car extra loud as long as they “saw” that person reach for something. The fact that they’re committing a crime by even having a gun will not get in the way of the Stand Your Ground defense.

Amazing. God Bless 'murica and the Second Amendment.

Samuel Wurzelbacher, better known as Joe the Plumber, insisted the deaths of innocent people "don't trump" his constitutional rights in an open letter to the families of victims in Friday's shooting rampage near the University of California, Santa Barbara.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/27/joe-the-plumber-guns_n_5397981.html

Many of the pro-gun rights people in this country have gone completely insane since Sandy Hook. This is just further proof.

From the actual letter:

I am sorry you lost your child. I myself have a son and daughter and the one thing I never want to go through, is what you are going through now. But:

As harsh as this sounds – your dead kids don’t trump my Constitutional rights.

http://barbwire.com/2014/05/27/open-letter-parents-victims-murdered-elliot-rodger/#MyfRVXjS21cIhkJQ.99

Joe the Plumber. The Paris Hilton of politics.

But how many people on the right have that exact same sentiment? I know of several without having to dig too deeply in my list of acquaintances. I mean good lord, look at my post above that one for how insane we've gone on guns in this country.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jon-stewart-finally-finds-the-one-gun-the-nra-does-not-like/

Stewart first mocked the outcry over Chipotle banning guns (an assault on freedom so dire Stewart cried, “Why don’t I just let the king of England sh#t in my mouth?”) before getting to the “smart gun” issue. See, smart guns would actually make sure your gun can only be used by you and no one else, but apparently the NRA is outraged, which Stewart just didn’t quite understand.

And even with New Jersey working out a deal with the NRA that “will repeal a gun control law if, in return, you consent to let people sell more guns,” the NRA isn’t budging. Which led Stewart to catch the logic trap that is the NRA finally finding a gun they are objecting to putting on the market.

Probably because it's a terrible idea.

Why?

I have guns. I love guns. I keep them safely locked up at all times. My wife and I are the only ones who know the codes and we've both been properly trained on how to handle them.

If you don't like that, oh well.

I don't have guns. I probably will never own a gun and I haven't even held a gun in my life.

I will support gun rights to the end because of the alternative.

• Fire 1

Why?

Because we don't have the technology to make something like that feasible and reliable. There is no current Judge Dredd solution.

I also think it's a bad idea in general.

Hey...I'm all for gun safety and I hope we can find a solution that drastically cuts back on the mass shootings.

However, I'm trying to figure out how the smart guns would work in every day life for law abiding citizens. OK...Let's say we all have smart guns. I have been on many hunting trips or shooting practices where everyone brings several guns and everyone has fun trying all of them out. So.....if everyone has smart guns, nobody can shoot other people's guns?