Gun Control

Roark

So using the accidental shooting analogy; should the same apply to people wrecking a car? That would make it much nicer out here in the Repub of Kali, way fewer people on the freeways, except for those that drive illegally :) But people don't use guns illegally, just like those that lose their DL's don't drive illegally.

And everyone knows that automobiles kill more people every year than "assault weapons". But then, so do knives and blunt objects.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that it's a multi-faceted problem.

Gun registration is not going to stop crime either. AT ALL. But absolute enforcement of gun crime laws would help. If a person is found guilty of a crime using a gun; maximum punishment without early release. That's a start. Do it twice. You're gone. First time bad choice; second time, put your own name to the cause why someone who was imprisoned for a crime would do it again.

Background checks to purchase a firearm. Done. Some states already require it; and gasp even private sales. (Kali). And states/Feds should enforce the laws already on the books; you hearing this Holder. If the one million people that were denied guns due to background checks were actually caught and cited/arrested/jailed; that's a start too. Although that's just why black market gun sales are blossoming; oh should someone deal with the black market? Wait, there are laws for that too.

Quite the conundrum.

But so far, no "laws" have done much to abate crime in and of itself. But that 's what we're talking about right; "Gun Control" to either mitigate or abate crime?

So let's have Congress pass more laws just pretty much like the last AWB laws that didn't work. Wow, our tax dollars at work. Oh wait again, maybe we should spend a billion dollars studying why these crime are committed. Give me a hundred thousand and I'll tell you why most crimes are committed. 1. money 2. emotion 3. Mental incapacity or combinations thereof. After that the problem gets murky.

That's my $1.50 keep the change.

Humor side:

• Fire 1

So using the accidental shooting analogy; should the same apply to people wrecking a car? That would make it much nicer out here in the Repub of Kali, way fewer people on the freeways, except for those that drive illegally :) But people don't use guns illegally, just like those that lose their DL's don't drive illegally.

And everyone knows that automobiles kill more people every year than "assault weapons". But then, so do knives and blunt objects.

Gun registration is not going to stop crime either. AT ALL. But absolute enforcement of gun crime laws would help. If a person is found guilty of a crime using a gun; maximum punishment without early release. That's a start. Do it twice. You're gone. First time bad choice; second time, put your own name to the cause why someone who was imprisoned for a crime would do it again.

Background checks to purchase a firearm. Done. Some states already require it; and gasp even private sales. (Kali). And states/Feds should enforce the laws already on the books; you hearing this Holder. If the one million people that were denied guns due to background checks were actually caught and cited/arrested/jailed; that's a start too. Although that's just why black market gun sales are blossoming; oh should someone deal with the black market? Wait, there are laws for that too.

Quite the conundrum.

But so far, no "laws" have done much to abate crime in and of itself. But that 's what we're talking about right; "Gun Control" to either mitigate or abate crime?

So let's have Congress pass more laws just pretty much like the last AWB laws that didn't work. Wow, our tax dollars at work. Oh wait again, maybe we should spend a billion dollars studying why these crime are committed. Give me a hundred thousand and I'll tell you why most crimes are committed. 1. money 2. emotion 3. Mental incapacity or combinations thereof. After that the problem gets murky.

Humor side:

You left out 1a. "Bitches"

Women cause us to do a lot of stupid sh#t.

Quite the conundrum.

Humor side:

That's really offensive... and if we hadn't been college roommates, and I didn't already know how small your junk is (he walked around the dorm room naked a lot, guys. A LOT. Far more than someone with that much body hair should.)... I would tell you that you didn't deserve a penis.

Quite the conundrum.

Humor side:

That's really offensive... and if we hadn't been college roommates, and I didn't already know how small your junk is (he walked around the dorm room naked a lot, guys. A LOT. Far more than someone with that much body hair should.)... I would tell you that you didn't deserve a penis.

Hey, you like Beaner's weiner. (I'm not certain how to spell weener)

Ripped from today's headlines:

Download this gun

Cody Wilson, like many Texan gunsmiths, is fast-talkin’ and fast-shootin’—but unlike his predecessors in the Lone Star State, he’s got 3D printing technology to help him with his craft.

Wilson’s nonprofit organization, Defense Distributed,

this week showing a gun firing off over 600 rounds—illustrating what is likely to be the first wave of semi-automatic and automatic weapons produced by the additive manufacturing process.

Last year, his group famously demonstrated that it could use a 3D-printed “lower” for an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle—but the gun failed after six rounds. Now, after some re-tooling, Defense Distributed has shown that it has fixed the design flaws and a gun using its lower can seemingly fire for quite a while. (The AR-15 is the civilian version of the military M16 rifle.)

But if it really is a psychological problem (which I do think is apart of it since these people are mentally ill) then I think this is more of a product of our culture than anything else. And if that's the case then we're ignoring the real problem.

Again with the mental illness copout. Stop with this deflection of the actual problem. Crazy people exist the world over. The issue is the gun.

Not sure if serious.

100% serious. This whole "mental health care" tangent in relation to the gun control debate sprang up after Sandy Hook. There's always an excuse for why people use their guns to commit mass murder. You cannot identify and treat every single mentally ill person in America. The gun lobby is raising hell about gun registration - but instead of registering guns, they want to register the mentally ill. It's a deflection, and an obvious one at that.

I agree to a certain point. But I also think there is a certain amount of recognition that can be made regarding someone with a mental condition on whether they may cause harm to someone else. In the case of the Sandy Hook and Aurora movie theater shootings. It should have been noticed. IMO.

75% of the kids I deal with on a daily basis are capable of violent crimes, because they have already committed them. It is noticed, but myself and other "responsible" adults can't be with them 24 hours a day. I am certain that registrations and banned weapons would impact the youths I work with Monday through Friday. My data is anacdotal, but I would be happy to share if anyone is interested...

Watching CSPAN and a group of Senators introducing some gun legislation. Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) opens by telling a story about a woman who made threats against the president of the United States, was found insane by a federal court and committed to treatment, then later passed a background check and legally purchased a gun. Those are some "gaps", sir.

And I agree 100% with knapplc that the mental illness thing is a copout. This is a social issue. Mental illness, even if it could be outlawed, can never be eliminated. What can be changed is access to and proliferation of firearms of unacceptably large-scope lethality. That's not all firearms.

• Fire 3

Watching CSPAN and a group of Senators introducing some gun legislation. Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) opens by telling a story about a woman who made threats against the president of the United States, was found insane by a federal court and committed to treatment, then later passed a background check and legally purchased a gun. Those are some "gaps", sir.

And I agree 100% with knapplc that the mental illness thing is a copout. This is a social issue. Mental illness, even if it could be outlawed, can never be eliminated. What can be changed is access to and proliferation of firearms of unacceptably large-scope lethality. That's not all firearms.

You two understand that I can kill A LOT of people with a 12-gauge shotgun loaded with buckshot right? So.................do we outlaw those? I can shoot into a crowd with a loaded 12-gauge and probably kill at least 10 to 15 people with those rounds. A Mossberg 590 with an extended magazine tube holds 7 shells in the magazine and 1 in the chamber. With each 00 buckshot having 9 pellets, federal 00 buckshot, that's a total of 72 .33 caliber pellets. All I have to do is aim at the head area of the crowd and start firing, in less than 10 seconds I could have that shotgun completely empty and I'm sure there would be several folks dead or dying from their injuries. Those rounds were designed for hunting, that weapon was designed for hunting and could be argued that it was designed for home defense, so do we outlaw it? The weapon, the caliber, the science behind the round...................none of it matters! I can kill someone with a well placed .22 as easily as I can with a .223 round so trying to say this or that should be banned is laughable at best.

It does matter. If you wanted to kill numerous people, what would you use - an AK-47 or a .22 pistol?

And if the argument is going to be "a gun is a gun is a gun," then gun control shouldn't bother anyone. You'll still have your shotguns, which as you say can still kill promiscuously, so why get worried about assault weapons bans?

• Fire 1

Where does it end??

Why not ban hammers, knives and other weapons that kill more than AR-15's (it's not an assault weapon)??

Why not address handguns? Why, cause you fight the fight you can win. Not the fight that needs fighting. Partisanship at it's best.

Let's put some limits on the 1st Amendment while we're at it. Take away all privacy on the internet. Pedophiles beware. The FEDS be watching. But it's only to combat child molestation and other heinous crimes. But will it stop those crimes you ask! Maybe.

Don't worry they won't do anything about all your pirated material. Oh no.

Where does it stop?