A View from a Dawg

McDawg

Wow, where's all the Barney bashers hiding: " Big red has a well coached well disciplined offensive line."? I thought the OL played pretty well until ARod replaced Sirles after he got banged up on a play.

I'll give our OL some credit, but its kind of a sweet sour story to them. They CAN play well and win the battles in the trenches, unfortunately, they don't do it consistently week to week, its a roller coaster ride with our offensive line and that is where the anger comes from.

I dont quite understand our OL some days they look they can open holes and create space for our running backs and some days they just get dominated. However they are downright awful at pass protection. You just look at the amount of time Murray had back in the pocket to wait for plays to develop meanwhile Martinez has one second before he has to scramble for his life. I honestly think it is time for Cotton to go. Our line is nowhere near what it should be and every year it seems like a 4 star recruit is getting chased out of town.

Wow, where's all the Barney bashers hiding: " Big red has a well coached well disciplined offensive line."? I thought the OL played pretty well until ARod replaced Sirles after he got banged up on a play.

I'll bite

O line gave T-Mart essentially no passing protection, the Cotton boy's completely unnecessary penalty, A-Rod's consecutive penalties and a handful of other false starts don't really reflect being "well coached" or "well disciplined."

I'll bite

O line gave T-Mart essentially no passing protection, the Cotton boy's completely unnecessary penalty, A-Rod's consecutive penalties and a handful of other false starts don't really reflect being "well coached" or "well disciplined."

the "no protection" was essentially because of Jarvis Jones immediately burning our tackles off the snap on almost every play, hence, he's been doing that to teams all year long. This was no anomoly. Poor Rodriguez had as much chance of blocking Jones as Meredith did of fighting off double teams.

May be...but your boys did a decent job of being quick enough off the snap to open some holes for Burkhead and Martinez (on designed runs) Our D line wa a little cobbled together ( lots of frosh playing and missing two all SEC guys at NT and DE) but those freshmen will be starters next year. Big Red's OL just seemed to want to win, even if they did not have enough athletes to get it done. Having the heart was important.

I dont quite understand our OL some days they look they can open holes and create space for our running backs and some days they just get dominated.

You're saying that sometimes they do good and open up big holes, and sometimes they don't? I don't imagine any other offensive lines in the country do that...

You just look at the amount of time Murray had back in the pocket to wait for plays to develop meanwhile Martinez has one second before he has to scramble for his life.

To be fair, he does that whether he needs to or not.

Yes he does....like that play where Georgia rushed 2 and Martinez immediately "felt" pressure, deserted the pocket and took off for the sideline.

You just look at the amount of time Murray had back in the pocket to wait for plays to develop meanwhile Martinez has one second before he has to scramble for his life.

To be fair, he does that whether he needs to or not.

It is almost impossible to pass block for a mobile QB. If Taylor stayed in the pocket for 3-4 seconds, it would be better.

With the exception of ARod, our OL actually was pretty solid and consistent throughout the game, I'll give them credit.

Looking forward to seeing what Barney has in store for 2013. I'll be more than happy to eat crow if we can put an O-Line out there that, save for the occasional gaffe, doesn't shoot itself in the foot (again, ARod...) and gets more play out of our scholarship O-Line recruits. And in all fairness, kids making mental mistakes seems to be a consistent theme of the whole of Bo's Nebraska teams, and not just localized to the kids Barney coaches.

But no, the line did well this game. Not really worried about the offense going into 2013. Defense and special teams? That's where we need to make up ground this off-season.