Leveling the playing field with the SEC

HuskerShark

The only way you're gonna beat this Alabama team is if you run an offense like UO's.

We've already heard about Saban complaining about this style of play and for good reason. He see's a threat.

UO? Is that Oregon? If so, then yes, that style is a threat. Nebraska does utilize that style. Unfortunately when you run up against Bama with that style, your defense ends up on the field for even more time against Bama's mammoth Oline and running attack. Bama does their thing. Sure it appears to be stressful for Saban, but I'd bet he could slow it as well, esp if he had 40 days to prepare for it as well.

They brag about Bama's style in how a they run a pro-like attack predicated on the power run and conventional play action and how they need no gimicks, but let's be honest. That's solely due to their talent level. Was there any player on ND's team last night that could've switched uni's and played over his Bama positional counterpart? Maybe Te'o. Probably one of their massive DL's. Other than that I say no. That's why Bama can do this. They can just line up and overpower people and do what they want. They have that advantage. It's what we had 15-20 years ago.

The only way you're gonna beat this Alabama team is if you run an offense like UO's.

We've already heard about Saban complaining about this style of play and for good reason. He see's a threat.

UO? Is that Oregon? If so, then yes, that style is a threat. Nebraska does utilize that style. Unfortunately when you run up against Bama with that style, your defense ends up on the field for even more time against Bama's mammoth Oline and running attack. Bama does their thing. Sure it appears to be stressful for Saban, but I'd bet he could slow it as well, esp if he had 40 days to prepare for it as well.

They brag about Bama's style in how a they run a pro-like attack predicated on the power run and conventional play action and how they need no gimicks, but let's be honest. That's solely due to their talent level. Was there any player on ND's team last night that could've switched uni's and played over his Bama positional counterpart? Maybe Te'o. Probably one of their massive DL's. Other than that I say no. That's why Bama can do this. They can just line up and overpower people and do what they want. They have that advantage. It's what we had 15-20 years ago.

I agree with all but Te'o. Too many miss tackles wasn't really even a factor last night. His story is his legacy, not his overrated play

Two things will level the playing field.

1) Over signing as mentioned above.

2) More development of the HS football programs in the north. Players coming out of HS in the south are head and shoulders above the ones coming out of HS up north. Those kids now realize they can stay close to home and play football at top programs and don't need to go to Nebraska, Michigan or OSU.

The SEC has found a way to develop the talent very early and keep it all to themselves by over signing and making promises to them coming out of HS that they never intend to keep. Oh...and...let's remember, Cam didn't know his father was paid $180,000.

Two things will level the playing field.

1) Over signing as mentioned above.

2) More development of the HS football programs in the north. Players coming out of HS in the south are head and shoulders above the ones coming out of HS up north. Those kids now realize they can stay close to home and play football at top programs and don't need to go to Nebraska, Michigan or OSU.

The SEC has found a way to develop the talent very early and keep it all to themselves by over signing and making promises to them coming out of HS that they never intend to keep. Oh...and...let's remember, Cam didn't know his father was paid $180,000.

Ohio coaches are talking about adding spring football like southern schools. This is HUGE and I think other Big Ten states should follow suit to keep up.

Ohio is not big enough to support all the Big Ten teams since there are a couple Ohio's in SEC country(specifically the Big Dawg, Florida). Illinois & PA need to step up. Indiana is actually getting way better in terms of top talent(see Jaylon Smith) but the rest lag behind.

This is why adding Rutgers, Maryland and potentially GIT, UVA and UNC would be huge. Soooo much talent comes from that area including who I think is the most dangerous college player of the past decade in Percy Harvin.

I agree.

I have kids in school sports right now. Every single sport other than football has a club sport season along with the school season. If you are in basketball, you can play basketball year round in Nebraska. If you are in volleyball, you can play volleyball year round. Football? The amount of time that kid spends developing his skills is no where CLOSE to what it is in other sports.

What is the argument against allowing spring ball? I am actually friends with our HS AD who is the President of NSAA (head of Nebraska school activities). I'm going to ask him that question.

Nebraska used to bring in good players, allow them to sit in the program for 2-3 years getting bigger, faster and better. Today, those kids are doing that in HS in the south. For a long time I have thought Nebraska can follow that same path.

The problem is, in the South, these kids are getting that growth and development in HS, coaches can pick and choose from those developed kids. THEN, on top of that, with their stretching of the recruiting rules, they sign way more kids than anyone else and wash out the ones that don't make it.

With scholarship limits, someone like Nebraska just isn't going to have the flow of talent through the program like these other schools.

The one part that partly helps is the walk on program. If we bring in top talent from around the country that is already developed and supplement that with walkons that are willing to sit in the program a couple years and develop before they are rewarded a scholarship, at least it helps. BUT, right now we have around 150 kids in our football program. If 85 of those have scholarships, that means 65 are walkons and not on scholarship. That gives our program the ability to develop 65 kids that normally would not have a chance to play here. But, they have a shot.

NOW...I have no clue how many kids in Nebraska play football but let's say there are 1000. I think that's a reasonable number. If HSs were given the ability to work with those 1000 kids more and develop them as players, how many of those would actually develop into a really good player? At this time, nobody knows but it has to be more than is being developed now.

Population is a problem here. BUT, look at volleyball. I think Nebraska produces more Div 1 VB talent than any other state. Why? Because it is allowed to develop in HS.

I don't think it's population for the most part.

Indiana is more populated than Alabama but Alabama has spring ball and takes football a lot more seriously.

I think if northerners helped develop talent early on and got spring ball in schools then we'd be in good shape. Hopefully Ohio gets spring ball and the other states follow.

I think Virginia has spring ball. It ain't any warmer there than it is in Ohio or PA(at least the middle to southern portions)

Why in the world do you say that? The Oregon O has been handled by every decent defense they've faced.

To be blunt, the playing field won't be leveled until the SEC stops getting free passes over other conferences from the media. Alabama should not have been in the championship game last year and this year their resume was no more impressive than several other one loss teams.

Why in the world do you say that? The Oregon O has been handled by every decent defense they've faced.

To be blunt, the playing field won't be leveled until the SEC stops getting free passes over other conferences from the media. Alabama should not have been in the championship game last year and this year their resume was no more impressive than several other one loss teams.

UO still doesn't get top, top talent. They get a few but they aren't all 4 stars like Bama.

Just imagine a school with the recruiting power like OSU, Texas or USC running that offense. It could be something to see.

You will see Urban go with that high tempo O while recruiting Defense like they do in the south. That's why he's taken so many D lineman early on. He's setting it up.

It's not just that people are leaving states like Michigan and Ohio for places like Arizona and Georgia, but the migrants are in the demographic that will beget new football children. That's why your conference is scrambling to buy teams outside off the midwest.

As for reigning in the sec, is it true they accept an LOI from some recruits and then later tell them that no schollie is available until next year?