MICHIGAN BABY!!!

If Michagan underestimates NU too much, and doesn't show up, or doesn't care, then it could be a huge day for Nebraska. I personally would like to see a good solid game from both teams, and ideally an NU win, yeah, but......

If BC and co. do a good job, it might be another 30-3 victory...

I do expect MU to bring it, though. They ought to.

Varsity to head to San Antonio for bowl

Varsity to head to San Antonio for bowlBy Stephanie Wright, Daily Sports Editor

December 05, 2005

For the first time since 1995, the Michigan football team will play in a bowl game outside of Florida and Pasadena.

Instead, the Wolverines will make their second trip to the MasterCard Alamo Bowl — fittingly, the site of their last non-January postseason contest 10 years ago.

On Dec. 28, Michigan will face Nebraska in the first matchup between the two schools since controversy surrounded the programs in 1997, when they split the national championship. Michigan last played Nebraska in the 1986 Fiesta Bowl.

“The 2005 MasterCard Alamo Bowl will feature two of the nation’s most tradition-rich programs playing for only the second time in the last 43 years,” said Derrick Fox, president/CEO of the Alamo Bowl. “We are looking forward to seeing the Riverwalk covered in Husker red and Michigan blue with loyal fans on their way to this year’s game.”

In its previous Alamo Bowl appearance, Michigan lost to Texas A&M, 22-20, to conclude Lloyd Carr’s first season as head coach. Despite the loss, Carr has fond memories of his squad’s last trip to Texas.

“My recollection is that San Antonio is a great city,” Carr said in a teleconference yesterday. “Our players had a great time.”

This year’s game will mark the sixth all-time matchup between the two storied programs. The last time the Wolverines and Cornhuskers met, Michigan came away with a 27-23 victory in the 1986 Fiesta Bowl. The Wolverines hold a 3-1-1 advantage in the series.

With the bid, Michigan (5-3 Big Ten, 7-4 overall) secured its 31st straight appearance in a bowl game — the longest streak in the nation.

Ranked No. 4 in the preseason Associated Press poll, Michigan stumbled to a 3-3 record to start the season, including home losses to both Notre Dame and Minnesota. But the Wolverines’ last-second win over No. 3 Penn State on Oct. 15 kicked off a four-game winning streak. That run was halted when Ohio State beat Michigan two weeks ago, giving the Wolverines their third loss this season at Michigan Stadium.

Even so, Carr said he views his squad’s midseason turnaround in a positive light.

“Our team had a great end, fought back and played through adversity,” Carr said. “I’m proud of this team.”

On the other side of the ball, Nebraska (4-4 Big 12, 7-4 overall) earned its first bowl game berth since 2003. Last season, the Cornhuskers failed to qualify for postseason play for the first time in 35 years. Nebraska finished its season with back-to-back victories, including a 30-3 win over Colorado in the final game of the regular season.

Students who want to travel to San Antonio for the game can go to mgoblue.com to purchase tickets. Orders must be placed by Dec. 9 to qualify for seating.

Alamo matchup: U-M vs. Nebraska

BY MARK SNYDER

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Alamo Bowl

Matchup: Michigan 7-4 (5-3 Big Ten) vs. Nebraska 7-4 (4-4 Big 12).

When: 8 p.m. Dec. 28.

Where: Alamodome, San Antonio.

TV: ESPN.

Tickets: $50, $60 and $80 club and lower-level seats in Michigan block (includes an athletic department surcharge of $5) through U-M's ticket office at 866-296-6849.

$35, $45 and $55 upper-level seats through www.alamobowl.com or Ticketmaster at 210-224-9600.

Series: Michigan leads, 3-1-1.

Last meeting: Michigan won, 27-23, in 1986 Fiesta Bowl.

It's the matchup Michigan fans wanted -- just not this way and not this time.

U-M will play Nebraska at 8 p.m. Dec. 28 in the Alamo Bowl in San Antonio, a game many hoped to see in January 1998 when the programs split the national championship.

Having it now, eight years later and in late December, is not ideal as it ends Michigan's streak of nine consecutive New Year's bowls.

Michigan's last non-New Year's bowl was also at the Alamo Bowl in 1995, when the Wolverines lost to Texas A&M, 22-20, in coach Lloyd Carr's first season.

"It's been 10 years; my recollection is San Antonio is a great city and our players had a great time," Carr said Sunday. "The opportunity to play Nebraska again; the last time I had a opportunity to be a part of a team playing against them was in the Fiesta Bowl back in the 1980s."

U-M's 1986 Fiesta Bowl win vaulted Michigan to a No. 2 final ranking.

This year's game will be substantially different from that showdown between two national powerhouses.

Both teams enter the game 7-4 but from different perspectives. While the Wolverines settled for the Alamo after a 25-21 loss to Ohio State on Nov. 19, Nebraska is entering on a two-game winning streak after edging Kansas State and then whipping Colorado, 30-3, on Nov. 25.

"We did finish strong," said second-year coach Bill Callahan, whose open passing game is still developing. "The wins against Kansas State and Colorado at the end of the year were big for us as a team. We kind of faltered prior to that, but we rebounded strongly and in good fashion. It culminated in the final game of the year against Colorado in Boulder, and I couldn't have been more proud."

The Wolverines were hoping for a spot in the Jan. 2 Outback Bowl, but that went to Iowa, even though U-M has the same record and U-M beat the Hawkeyes in Iowa City.

Speculation was Michigan might not bring as many fans to the Outback because of its disappointing regular season after being expected to contend for the Big Ten title.

Alamo officials were thrilled, considering the 1995 game nearly sold out with the Wolverines, and are anticipating a large Nebraska contingent after the Cornhuskers missed a bowl game last season.

"I think our fans and especially our players will be excited about the matchup," Callahan said. "Two classic traditional football teams, two of the winningest football programs in the history of college football colliding in Texas -- it couldn't be better."

Nebraska is familiar with the Alamo Bowl and Michigan teams, having beaten Michigan State, 17-3, in 2003.

The game extends Michigan's NCAA-leading consecutive bowl streak to 31 seasons.

Contact MARK SNYDER at 248-351-3688 or msnyder@freepress.com.

Nebraska will play Michigan in Alamo Bowl

12/4/2005, 7:41 p.m. ET

The Associated Press

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — When Nebraska takes on 20th-ranked Michigan in the Alamo Bowl, the Cornhuskers will be visiting a familiar venue that holds pleasant memories.

The Dec. 28 game in San Antonio will mark the fifth time in nine years that the Huskers have played in the Alamodome.

The Huskers are 4-0 there, winning two Big 12 championship games and two bowl games.

Got a bad feeling that this is another streak that billy c will end <_<

i predict NU-32 MU 20

Michigan hasn't lost a game by 12 all year and you think they're going to lose by 2 TD to the Huskers? The only way Michigan loses this one is in a close game where they get overly conservative in the 4th quarter. That has been our bugaboo all year long in every game we've lost. I can about guarentee you that if Michigan loses, it will be by less than a touchdown. If Michigan is on their game though, I could see Michigan winning by 2 TD.

Nebraska will play Michigan in Alamo Bowl

12/4/2005, 7:41 p.m. ET

The Associated Press   

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — When Nebraska takes on 20th-ranked Michigan in the Alamo Bowl, the Cornhuskers will be visiting a familiar venue that holds pleasant memories.

The Dec. 28 game in San Antonio will mark the fifth time in nine years that the Huskers have played in the Alamodome.

The Huskers are 4-0 there, winning two Big 12 championship games and two bowl games.

Got a bad feeling that this is another streak that billy c will end <_<

Imagine that! You and your bad feelings! I got a bad feeling you will continue to "Husker Bash" for years and years! :dumdum