2012 Improvements Hard to Swallow - A glass half empty view

I agree 100%. We could very well be 6-6 right now. But jeez, you have to be able to play lights out and mistake free for at least a stretch in order to accomplish such comebacks. The thing to me is that I think Bo actually did a very good job coaching this year. You have to look at it as, what were the anomolys? The performances of the 10 wins, or the 4 losses? In my mind, especially the defense-regardless of the competition-was coached and played a bit above their ability in the 10 wins, becuase even in those 10 wins, there were moments of bad exposure of our weaknesses. Then encouraging thing to me is knowing that we can be that good if we cleanup the b.s. on a consistent basis. I dont see it as a hopeless situation.

Agree. There are plenty of ways to look at this season negatively, but next year will be better. The RS and JUCOS will NOT turn the defense into worldbeaters IMO. The offense and special teams will improve regarding turnovers though, which will drastically help the D as well. Despite what people will tell you, the B1G is better than the general perception. The bowl season shows this IMO. B1G was very competitive with the SEC. Stopping making excuses for the SEC. I don't have any stats to support my opinion, but this team "looked" better to me this year than last year.

And honestly, we dont need a world beater defense. We dont need the 2009 defense to squeak out 10 wins like we did that year. All we need now is a serviceable defense. Hell, a 25 ppg defense should be more than enough for our offense who if doesnt average 40 ppg will be a major letdown. I think next year's D will be somewhere between 2010's and 2011's. Not quite that good, not quite that bad. To me, that should be serviceable enough to win most games, and be compeititive in what we do lose. NO MORE BLOWOUTS. But the performance of the defense also has to fall a little on the offense and special team as has been said. No more to's putting them in bad spots. No more fumbled punts flipping the field. the offense and special teams have to do their part to expect the defense to do enough of theirs.

Repeated use of the word serviceable? Blowouts? Putting them in bad spots? Jesus is this some sort of XXX Husker message board?

Seriously though, what in the f#*k is a serviceable defense?

I agree 100%. We could very well be 6-6 right now. But jeez, you have to be able to play lights out and mistake free for at least a stretch in order to accomplish such comebacks. The thing to me is that I think Bo actually did a very good job coaching this year. You have to look at it as, what were the anomolys? The performances of the 10 wins, or the 4 losses? In my mind, especially the defense-regardless of the competition-was coached and played a bit above their ability in the 10 wins, becuase even in those 10 wins, there were moments of bad exposure of our weaknesses. Then encouraging thing to me is knowing that we can be that good if we cleanup the b.s. on a consistent basis. I dont see it as a hopeless situation.

Agree. There are plenty of ways to look at this season negatively, but next year will be better. The RS and JUCOS will NOT turn the defense into worldbeaters IMO. The offense and special teams will improve regarding turnovers though, which will drastically help the D as well. Despite what people will tell you, the B1G is better than the general perception. The bowl season shows this IMO. B1G was very competitive with the SEC. Stopping making excuses for the SEC. I don't have any stats to support my opinion, but this team "looked" better to me this year than last year.

And honestly, we dont need a world beater defense. We dont need the 2009 defense to squeak out 10 wins like we did that year. All we need now is a serviceable defense. Hell, a 25 ppg defense should be more than enough for our offense who if doesnt average 40 ppg will be a major letdown. I think next year's D will be somewhere between 2010's and 2011's. Not quite that good, not quite that bad. To me, that should be serviceable enough to win most games, and be compeititive in what we do lose. NO MORE BLOWOUTS. But the performance of the defense also has to fall a little on the offense and special team as has been said. No more to's putting them in bad spots. No more fumbled punts flipping the field. the offense and special teams have to do their part to expect the defense to do enough of theirs.

Repeated use of the word serviceable? Blowouts? Putting them in bad spots? Jesus is this some sort of XXX Husker message board?

Seriously though, what in the f#*k is a serviceable defense?

Not great. Not bad. Somewhat in between. You know. Just serviceable. With the offense we have, if they just refrain from putting the defense in bad spots, we should be able to avoid the blowouts. Our offense is good enough that our defense doesnt have to be great. As long as it is serviceable, we should be fine.

Got it yet?

Hmmm. I think we agree. The offense is surely the strength of the team. If the offense scores thirty points a game like they are averaging, then yes, if someone is servicing the defense that might help. But thats a lot of servicing for one person. Will they be multi-serviceable?

Really though, I think we will be fine on defense. We won't have to worry about anyone servicing them. They will service themselves.

• Fire 1

Two games where we scored 30 was because we were allowed to. Not facing the starters, or the scoring was shut off by corrections. We have some offensive problems, nothing compared to the defensive side, but this team has problems on both sides when lined up against top teams.

Come on guys....comparing the hype towards Cody Green (which was 99% fan-based, messageboard boner inducing) compared to the hype towards Tommy or Johnny (which is fueled by talent evaluators, coaches and analysts) isn't anywhere close to the same thing.

The fans thought Cody was the second coming of Tommie because he was black, had a long run in his first game in garbage time and got to start two games as a freshman. However, most of us knew what he was; an unpolished, unproven true raw freshman deer in the headlights.

Hmmm. I think we agree. The offense is surely the strength of the team. If the offense scores thirty points a game like they are averaging, then yes, if someone is servicing the defense that might help. But thats a lot of servicing for one person. Will they be multi-serviceable?

Really though, I think we will be fine on defense. We won't have to worry about anyone servicing them. They will service themselves.

Very good. :thumbs

I stopped reading about half way through when he claimed an increase of 4.5 pts by the offense wash "washed away" by an inrease of 4 pts by the defense. This is 2nd grad Math people.

I could post an positive article desregarding all stats, bet it wouldn't get near the publicity. This guy is a terd...

Below is a link to an article by "Angry Dad". He removes the rose colored glasses and calls it as he sees it.

It is hard to argue with his statements. Our come from behind wins this year kind of shields us from

some of the issues that made us 'behind' in the first place.

My hope for next year is that the redshirts and juco players on D will be as good as advertised. But, I've

heard the kool-aid talk before (and believed it and was burned by it) and will reserve belief until the UCLA game.

Mod Edit - please don't link to other forums here. Thanks.

So let me get this straight.........You cruised through the board, read the threads, absorbed the content, and decided that you needed to add to it. So, the thing you decided this board needed more of was negativity, Bo bashing, Taylor Martinez criticism, "harsh realities", and glass-half-empty thinking, so much so that you went to another site to find content to match this description?

Your comment isn't worth the typing effort to respond to.

Come on guys....comparing the hype towards Cody Green (which was 99% fan-based, messageboard boner inducing) compared to the hype towards Tommy or Johnny (which is fueled by talent evaluators, coaches and analysts) isn't anywhere close to the same thing.

The fans thought Cody was the second coming of Tommie because he was black, had a long run in his first game in garbage time and got to start two games as a freshman. However, most of us knew what he was; an unpolished, unproven true raw freshman deer in the headlights.

I hope your right, but if i had a nickel for every qb recruit that was supposed to be the next big thing........Cody is just one example, what about Carnes, Turner, Keller was a bust in IMO, transfer i know, but you can still go back to Beck, Dukes, Dailey, insert whatever heralded qb that didn't amount to squat......you get the idea.

I hope your right, but if i had a nickel for every qb recruit that was supposed to be the next big thing........Cody is just one example, what about Carnes, Turner, Keller was a bust in IMO, transfer i know, but you can still go back to Beck, Dukes, Dailey, insert whatever heralded qb that didn't amount to squat......you get the idea.

Keller was set to re-write all of our passing records if he would have remained healthy, actually. Don't know why he gets so disrespected.

It has been interesting following Cody's career here in Tulsa. The Husker Club here has been real supportive of him. This was his 1st season as a starter after sitting out a year. He had a hot and cold season plus he missed some time due to injury (most of one or 2 games I believe - I think it was his shoulder). He appears to be a very positive leader amoung the players and the coaches give him a lot of praise for his attitude, hard work, and character. He did however lead them to 3 critcal wins at the end of the season. Beat USF to get into the CCG in a thriller and then beat them 2 weeks later in the CCG - in OT. He then led them to the Liberty Bown win and revenged the early season loss to Iowa State. They won that game by a large margin the 2nd time around. Tulsa finished 11-3. (lost to Univ of Ark- should have won, ISU, & SMU after they clintched their division) Here are his stats for the year:

SPLITS CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT

Season 228 419 2592 54.4 6.19 74 17 11 8 114.5

Keller was set to re-write all of our passing records if he would have remained healthy, actually. Don't know why he gets so disrespected.

I'm not sure how much respect he deserves? Was he really going to re-write the records with his 1 season of eligibility? He was OK, but the offense improved when he got hurt and Ganz came in. But still, there is long line of other qb's that didn't pan out.

I'm not sure how much respect he deserves? Was he really going to re-write the records with his 1 season of eligibility? He was OK, but the offense improved when he got hurt and Ganz came in. But still, there is long line of other qb's that didn't pan out.

He was re-writing all the single season records, yes. I suppose the offense improved somewhat, but I attribute most of that towards Callahan going into straight up air-raid offense mode trying to save his job. Here's the two quarterbacks stats that season:

Sam Keller - 205/325 (63.1%) - 2,422 yards - 14 TD - 10 INT - 133.7 Rating

Joe Ganz - 89/152 (53.6%) - 1,435 yards - 16 TD - 7 INT - 163.4 Rating

Joe put up some big numbers, including interceptions. 4 of them against Kansas, and 3 against Colorado that cost us the game and a bowl.

He was re-writing all the single season records, yes. I suppose the offense improved somewhat, but I attribute most of that towards Callahan going into straight up air-raid offense mode trying to save his job. Here's the two quarterbacks stats that season:

Sam Keller - 205/325 (63.1%) - 2,422 yards - 14 TD - 10 INT - 133.7 Rating

Joe Ganz - 89/152 (53.6%) - 1,435 yards - 16 TD - 7 INT - 163.4 Rating

Joe put up some big numbers, including interceptions. 4 of them against Kansas, and 3 against Colorado that cost us the game and a bowl.

You point out Ganz's interceptions even though he threw three less of them and threw two more TD's? When I look at the stats, I see Ganz having a much better shot at single season records. Keller gained 7.45 yards per attempt while Ganz gained 9.44 yards per attempt. From what I remember Keller being famous for while being here at NU was throwing out in the flat to Lucky.

You point out Ganz's interceptions even though he threw three less of them and threw two more TD's? When I look at the stats, I see Ganz having a much better shot at single season records. Keller gained 7.45 yards per attempt while Ganz gained 9.44 yards per attempt. From what I remember Keller being famous for while being here at NU was throwing out in the flat to Lucky.

I'm not going to compare total number of TD's and INT's, because they played different amounts of games and we resembled a normal offense with some balance under Keller. Joe threw for 510 yards and 7 touchdowns against Kansas State...Sam would never be able to have games like that, not due to lack of talent, but because he would never have the playcalls to accomplish it. Anyways, we're making a mountain out of a molehill. I just don't see why he gets ragged on so much - he was good.