Late and Helmet-to-Helmet Hits

I noticed a great deal of late, out-of-bounds hits by Oregon that weren't called during the game. In the past few bowls games on TV, especially the in the FSU--Louisville game, there were tons of helmet-to-helmet hits that weren't called. Many of these by FSU were obvious leading with the crown of your helmet.

It seems that we were called for many questionable late/helmet-to-helmet hits toward the end of the year. I'm not saying that's why our defense s*cked, but I wish the refs could be consistent.

The one on Collin Klein down by the goal line was ridiculous. Collin was stacked up by 3 or 4 defenders, forward progress stops, and some Oregon player comes flying in and plants the crown of his helmet into the side of Kliens head at full speed. It's ridiculous. How can something like that not result in a penalty. Hell, shoulda been an ejection.

helmets touch during a football game. i'm getting tired of these damn helmet-helmet calls. it took the idea of "targeting" to an entirely new level. until they remove tackling from the game, this is just part of it. sucks, because over half of them called couldn't have been prevented without just flat out missing the tackle or allowing a catch.

newsfalsh refs - balls are thrown high. receivers jump for those balls. when the DB jumps to defend the pass, his helmet is going to be at a similar height as the receivers. they are moving down field as a high rate of speed. too make a play on the ball a collision must occur. the helmets, being at the same heights...will come into contact with one another.

helmets touch during a football game. i'm getting tired of these damn helmet-helmet calls. it took the idea of "targeting" to an entirely new level. until they remove tackling from the game, this is just part of it. sucks, because over half of them called couldn't have been prevented without just flat out missing the tackle or allowing a catch.

newsfalsh refs - balls are thrown high. receivers jump for those balls. when the DB jumps to defend the pass, his helmet is going to be at a similar height as the receivers. they are moving down field as a high rate of speed. too make a play on the ball a collision must occur. the helmets, being at the same heights...will come into contact with one another.

Exactly. It's escalated into a bs call where big hits are getting called and then something like the obvious helmet to helmet hit on Klein last night is ignored simply becuase he didnt flying across the field. It's a bunch of crap. I guarantee you the hit on Klein last night was 10 times more damaging to his head than the hit that Bell put on the Wisconsin DB.

past couple days they mentioned something interesting on the Dan Patrick show...

If Clowney's hit happened in the NFL, would he have gotten fined?

If there was a fine on that play, it should go to the O-lineman who let that happen. Clowney's hit was clean, but viscious.

Make these calls reviewable! Simple as that. Every damn play is reviewed anyways so why not emphasize these calls.

Sounds good but how would you go about it. The severity, intent, and even location of a hit can look different from every angle and speed. Maybe review them if there was clearly no helmet contact, but then you drastically slow down the game.

take away the helmets. (kind of joking here...)

Seriously, would you run "head-to-head" with a guy at 20 mph with no helmet on?

Plus, it would drastically cut down on the "coolness" involved in uniforms.

I'm starting to like this idea :)

edit: I didn't read all posts, looks like other agree

The one on Collin Klein down by the goal line was ridiculous. Collin was stacked up by 3 or 4 defenders, forward progress stops, and some Oregon player comes flying in and plants the crown of his helmet into the side of Kliens head at full speed. It's ridiculous. How can something like that not result in a penalty. Hell, shoulda been an ejection.

And he followed it up, or clearly attempted to follow it up with a forearm/elbow shot to the head too. I shut the game off after that and decided that Oregon is the new Miami...cheap and dirty and will probably be on suspension a year or two after Cheap Kelly leaves.

Make these calls reviewable! Simple as that. Every damn play is reviewed anyways so why not emphasize these calls.

Sounds good but how would you go about it. The severity, intent, and even location of a hit can look different from every angle and speed. Maybe review them if there was clearly no helmet contact, but then you drastically slow down the game.

Eh! Slower games. More advertising time. My point of replaying these has more to do with corroborating the call on the field. Too many times you see helmet to helmet called only to see the replay showing the guy was under the helmet. Also I'd like it to be reviewed when that call is made but the runner lowered his helmet at such a time the tackler couldn't not make helmet to helmet contact. I agree it would be very subjective and somewhat difficult to ever judge intent, but too often these calls greatly effect the game.

These late hit out of bounds plays are becoming ridiculous and actually having an affect on the results of the game. I recall being @ memorial stadium vs Vtech a few years back and SUH was flagged for one on 3rd down and it gave vtech a 1st down to put the game out of reach. I think they need to install a fair catch/out of bounds call to ensure the end of the play. Throw a hand up or something to head out of bounds untouched or face the consequences of getting tackled out of bounds. Yeah? It is a ridiculous notion, but this crap is getting old, real fast.