All time top NU QBs

It speaks volumes about Martinez that we're not comparing him to any of our second-tier quarterbacks. When the comparison conversation comes up, it's always how he compares to the best ever at Nebraska.

Where he stands on that list is a matter of opinion, but with his senior season still to play, he's already in the conversation of top-five QBs.

Which is kind of sad considering he's likely not even in the top 10 QBs this season. I think the fact that he's broken so many career records seems to automatically vault him to the top - but I think any number of past QBs leading this offense would be equal or better.

Tommie Frazier was never a top ten quarterback, either. In fact, have any of our top quarterbacks ever been in the top ten, or even the top 25 in the NCAA? We don't run those kinds of offenses.

Eric Crouch was #46 in Total Offense during his Heisman year. Martinez was #33 this year.

Our qb's offensive numbers are little down over the years in comparison because in a run oriented system, our qbs would only gain 150 or so yards on the ground per game at most-except the incredible games like Kansas St. 2010-. Whereas it's nothing for a qb in a passing system to that of Oklahoma St or Missouri for a QB to be credited with 3-4 hundred yards of offense on a consistent basis.

Not differing with anyone. Just pointing something out.

Martinez for Heisman 2013.

HOLLA.

Braxton was a finalist with a worse season. Martinez doesn't stand a chance. The deck is stacked against him.

I'm guessing he's saying is, if you're not "down" on Martinez, you're some kind of delusional "he's going to win the Heisman" fan.

so confused. anyways...did you see Gdowski's stats? 136 pass attempts? It would have taken Gdowski 3 full seasons here to rack up as many attempts as Martinez has in 1 season. It's no wonder Martinez is breaking records left and right - the offense is entirely different. I just can't put the FBS leader in fumbles for 3 straight seasons on the same page as some of these guys.

• Fire 2

Tommie Frazier was never a top ten quarterback, either. In fact, have any of our top quarterbacks ever been in the top ten, or even the top 25 in the NCAA? We don't run those kinds of offenses.

Eric Crouch was #46 in Total Offense during his Heisman year. Martinez was #33 this year.

What % of our offensive production was a result of Crouch/Frazier versus Martinez? (i really have no idea and for some reason am too lazy to go look it up). My guess is we run a lot more of our offense through Martinez than we did either Crouch or Frazier. We rushed the ball outside of the QB a lot more, and we ran 35% less plays.

It speaks volumes about Martinez that we're not comparing him to any of our second-tier quarterbacks. When the comparison conversation comes up, it's always how he compares to the best ever at Nebraska.

Where he stands on that list is a matter of opinion, but with his senior season still to play, he's already in the conversation of top-five QBs.

Which is kind of sad considering he's likely not even in the top 10 QBs this season. I think the fact that he's broken so many career records seems to automatically vault him to the top - but I think any number of past QBs leading this offense would be equal or better.

Our qb's offensive numbers are little down over the years in comparison because in a run oriented system, our qbs would only gain 150 or so yards on the ground per game at most-except the incredible games like Kansas St. 2010-. Whereas it's nothing for a qb in a passing system to that of Oklahoma St or Missouri for a QB to be credited with 3-4 hundred yards of offense on a consistent basis.

Not differing with anyone. Just pointing something out.

That's why I used Total Offense. We scored more during Crouch's senior year than 2012.

Excellent observation. Even wtout the bowl wins, cc, heisman, or NCC - he will easliy be in the top 10 just on performance alone. He gained some big mo this year wt the come from behind wins, improved passing and what appears to be improved leadership. I expect another jump next year in leadership and reduce fumbling. If our D is good, (not great) we should still challenge and win a CC.

Apart from Taylor's fumble/turnover issues ... he could have been among the top for me. As kchusker_chris said, "I just can't put the FBS leader in fumbles for 3 straight seasons on the same page as some of these guys." Disappointed to see that many for his Junior season ... his last season should be his best ... just wished he would have figured it all out a year sooner.

For Martinez, I think you need to look at how many games he cost us the last 3 years. Some of the losses fall squarely on the defense not stopping anyone and asking him to do things out of the norm of the offense to keep us in it.

Then look at the games we have won because of him being able to keep us in it. I think this category far outshines the other.

I believe he is top 5 regardless of hardware.

Of those listed, which QB was the 'greatest Leader' - not performer?

Personally, I think Scott Frost in 1997 showed great leadership and grit. NU fans were booing him in 96 and then again in the early stages of 97. But after he willed the team to a big victory against Washington, his grit to overcome Mo in the the flea kicker game was amazing. Not too many option QBs could lead the team down the field wt a minute to play and pull out the tie and then the win in OT. Then he lead with his mouth after the Tenn game against Manning. I wonder how many coaches changed their minds and voted Tom his 3rd NC after hearing Scott challenge them with these words after the Oragne Bowl victory:

"I don't see how anyone with a clear conscience can look at themselves in the mirror and not vote for Nebraska as No. 1," Frost said. "Nobody else is saying this, so I'm going to say it. The AP has pretty much given Michigan the title — it's up to the coaches. The coaches have got to vote for Nebraska.

"How could you not give this team, 13-0 and the winner of the Bowl Alliance, a share of the national title? They can't do it. The title has been split before and it should be split again."

• Fire 1

Of those listed, which QB was the 'greatest Leader' - not performer?

Personally, I think Scott Frost in 1997 showed great leadership and grit. NU fans were booing him in 96 and then again in the early stages of 97. But after he willed the team to a big victory against Washington, his grit to overcome Mo in the the flea kicker game was amazing. Not too many option QBs could lead the team down the field wt a minute to play and pull out the tie and then the win in OT. Then he lead with his mouth after the Tenn game against Manning. I wonder how many coaches changed their minds and voted Tom his 3rd NC after hearing Scott challenge them with these words after the Oragne Bowl victory:

"I don't see how anyone with a clear conscience can look at themselves in the mirror and not vote for Nebraska as No. 1," Frost said. "Nobody else is saying this, so I'm going to say it. The AP has pretty much given Michigan the title — it's up to the coaches. The coaches have got to vote for Nebraska.

"How could you not give this team, 13-0 and the winner of the Bowl Alliance, a share of the national title? They can't do it. The title has been split before and it should be split again."

That kind of leadership and "leading with his mouth" reminds me quite a bit of Martinez. I think there isn't a snowball's chance in hell we win the National Championship in 2013, but there are definite parallels between Frost's time here at Nebraska and Martinez'.

I would throw Z.T. in the top 10 somewhere towards the bottom. Kid was a baller.

Zac Taylor was a very valuable and under appreciated QB. He is penalized for being a part of the BC era which everyone wants to forget - for good reason. But without him, BC would have been -500 in all 4 years. Zac was a coach on the field. Very smart and I think he overcame some of Billy's play calling with his leadership and 'football smarts'. He was conference offensive player of the year. The CC game didint go well but he always seem to be a class act and led by example. I might place him at 9-10th. At a very min, I'd place him at # 11 and Gantz at # 12 - both had to deal with SW/BC play calling. Both were leaders on and off the field.