Coaching Raises (Tim Beck $)

QMany

hopefully this is one of the benefits on our new ad. he is more willing to open up the pocketbook. then again, hopefully he spends it on the right people. i do not envy his job.

I agree. I'm still waiting on my "Best Husker Fan 2012-2013" bonus check.

you got to cheer us to a bcs game before that is sent out.

OSU athletics spokesman Jerry Emig confirmed that all of Meyer’s assistant coaches received a bonus equal to three months of their salary as a result of the Buckeyes winning the Big Ten’s Leaders Division, as stated in their respective contracts.

http://www.thelantern.com/sports/ohio-state-football-s-assistant-coaches-net-more-than-798k-in-bonuses-for-leaders-division-title-1.2970538#.UO7llW-Gg_Y

I wonder what bonus incentives our assistants got for winning the Legends Division.

Paying more doesn't equate to better coaches. It's a "bang-for-your-buck" situation here. Great - we're #3 in assistant salaries. Then explain why our defense was historically bad this year.

I'm cool with paying the coaches the going wage. We should be competitive in salaries. But when we're forking over #3 dough, I expect #3 or better units. The defensive coaches have a long way to go before they're earning that pay.

• Fire 3

Paying more doesn't equate to better coaches. It's a "bang-for-your-buck" situation here. Great - we're #3 in assistant salaries. Then explain why our defense was historically bad this year.

I'm cool with paying the coaches the going wage. We should be competitive in salaries. But when we're forking over #3 dough, I expect #3 or better units. The defensive coaches have a long way to go before they're earning that pay.

Where would you rank us in the Big Ten?

We paid #3 money and were arguably #2 or #3 in the league.

I'd be pissed if I was Michigan.

The defense wasn't #2 or 3 in the league. If the defense pulled their weight, Nebraska would have at least 2 fewer losses, probably 3.

The defense wasn't #2 or 3 in the league. If the defense pulled their weight, Nebraska would have at least 2 fewer losses, probably 3.

but the $$ is going to the offensive side of the ball - so you shouldn't expect the defense to be #3 right?

1.2 million to the defense and ST

1.64 million to the offense

True. But we're not ranking Nebraska's defense. We're ranking Nebraska. Nebraska is # 2 or 3 in the league. If we nitpick, we could even be 4. No way in hell is it lower than that though.

Comparing what Nebraska spends on coaches to what Northwestern and Illinois spend is a ridiculous exercise. Where do we rank among teams that we think we are as good as? Where do we rank in both salary and years of coaching experience (at the D1 level) in comparison to Ohio State, Wisconsin (before the coaching change), Michigan, Alabama, Oklahoma, Oregon, etc.

As knapplc said, it isn't about salary. Nebraska could pay Papuchis $900,000, he's still going to be a mediocre defensive line coach (he's not the coordinator if he doesn't call the plays).

We were #2 or #3 three in the conference solely based on our offense. On defense we were near the bottom of the pack in every category except pass defense, solely because every single team could run against us and didn't have to pass (or couldn't). Another thing contributing to that passing stat is that just about every Big Ten team was in the game against us to the very end, meaning they didn't have to pass to catch up to us.

but the $$ is going to the offensive side of the ball - so you shouldn't expect the defense to be #3 right?

1.2 million to the defense and ST

1.64 million to the offense

We also have fewer coaches on the defensive side of the ball (4 for D/ ST vs 5 for O) so the numbers are a bit skewed, also considering Beck makes almost half of coaches' salaries.

could be a review sort of...for example if your defense holds opponents to x amount of yards you get 20k raise, or y amount of yards 10k raise...kinda confusing but for that kinda money i would assume they have some system in place..however i also agree that fisher did a great job my 2 cents ps....i really dont know???

i don't want a coach calling the game w/ this on their mind.

I'm not terribly interested in where our overall salary budget for assistants ranks. I am interested in how individual coaches' salaries stack up against those of their counterparts at comparable programs relative to their performance. I wish I had time to dig into such a comparison at the moment. Looking at the raises that our guys got, I'm pleased with Beck's raise and see that as a good sign when we go shopping for coordinators in the future. I don't see any other raises that are particularly surprising or out of order - nothing for me to get bent out of shape about.