Tim Brown's comments about BC

I hate terrorists, gang members and that is about it. In honesty I feel about Bo like I felt about BC. Did not think either were qualified to be Nebraska's head coach, still don't, but give them both the benefit of the doubt and think both did or are doing the best they can.

Not sure you could call the 2008 group pretty decent if the 2005 group is deserving of a skewering. 2004 was just a lost cause from the start. A rebuilding season. Some critics say that Callahan should have instituted a more gradual transition, and we wouldn't have lost a season that way. I think I agree with that. But accountability is also right that Cosgrove wasn't really the target of ire until the collapse of 2007. Our DL was pretty awesome in 2006, those group of seniors - Carriker, Moore, Dagunduro, Cryer. We had a lot of players to feel good about coming through the ranks, including the hopeful return of Zack Bowman that year, and Armando was hyped by the coach to have been even better (the coach would later say the same thing about our next JUCO corner from that school. I forget who it was, was it Gomes? Or Seisay?)

McKeon had come onto the scene in 2005 as a rock solid MLB and I don't think it was really until 2007 that his play fell apart.

This is not true at all. People were calling for Cosgrove's head before 2006. It just reached deafening proportions in 2007.

From 1/2006

Cosgrove to remain as Huskers' defensive coordinator

A native of Chicago, Cosgrove received a large share of the blame in 2004 as Nebraska finished with a 5-6 record. However, the Huskers made marked improvement this season, particularly on defense, rising 30 spots to No. 26 nationally in total defense (332.17 yards per game).

In finishing with an 8-4 record, Nebraska made a 46-place jump to No. 25 nationally in scoring defense (21.0). The Huskers led the nation with 50 sacks and 124 tackles for loss.

Nebraska did, however, drop 15 spots in rush defense compared with last year, from No. 11 to No. 26.

From November, 2006:

"He's got to do something about Kevin Cosgrove." This cry started happening whenever Nebraska fans would run into people from Wisconsin back in 2004. The famous line from the Wisconsin native was always the same: "Hey, I want to thank you for taking Kevin Cosgrove off our hands. He absolutely RUINED our defense!" Cosgrove is still the big pink elephant in the room, the one major fly in Billy C's ointment. Kids are still missing tackles. There was the complete defensive meltdown at Oklahoma State, a loss you have to pinpoint right at Cosgrove. The big rumor is that Billy C has already told Cosgrove to start looking for another gig, even encouraging him to put his name in the hat for the Iowa State job. Some team (I think it was the Minnesota Vikings) had an interest in Cosgrove after last season. My guess is Billy C is going to encourage Kevin to take whatever job becomes available soon. Maybe an 11-3 finish could change everything. I know a 9-5 record would definitely force Cosgrove out. Defense is the one area that Nebraska has failed to improve on since Bo Pellini left.

Wisconsin fans hated Cosgrove, and Nebraska fans were quick to pick up on why:

From 7/2005

Wisconsin Thanks Nebraska Again!

First for giving them Barry Alvarez, and then for taking Kevin Cosgrove off their hands so they could hire Bret Bielema to replace him. Now, Bielema has been named Wisconsin's head coach, effective in 2006.

Even earlier, from 1/2005:

Getting on board: Avid Husker fans flock to the Web

Kevin Cosgrove has ticked off Elvis. Annoyed him right down to his blue suede shoes, which are actually probably red.

Elvis got all huffy when he read in the newspaper that Cosgrove didn't return a phone call from recently departed Husker cornerback Fabian Washington. This incensed Elvis so much, he found the nearest computer and typed his thoughts about the Nebraska defensive coordinator.

After his writing was complete, he slapped it with the title: "Cosgrove is horrible." Cloaked under the screen name Elvis1403, he then posted his work on the huskerpedia.com message board, probably the most popular Husker football board in this state.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. You must be right. I'm remembering incorrectly. I do think we were all really excited about the DL in 2006, and not only that, but all the guys that we had brought up to replace the departees for 2007. Barry Turner, Zach Potter, and the other names I've forgotten.

I think Cosgrove came in being unwanted by most if I remember correctly. From the first day there posts about how is Wisconsin defense was never very good. I do not know if that is fact and not really interested in looking it up. That may have been BC's biggest error, having Cosgrove become the DC.

We were very critical of Bohl and he had some problems here. But it seems he has turned that all around. Giving creedence to give a Bo a chance I guess. Most here wanted him gone when he left. He has done a great job since.

I agree totally with that, kinda the reason I posted. Hoped it would end quicker, but guess I was wrong. Time to move on and forget about the past, hope the future is bright. I officaily retired today, now nothing but riding my bike and building custom off road trailers. Life is good, no reason to worry about stuff five years back. Make it right Bo.

I agree totally with that, kinda the reason I posted. Hoped it would end quicker, but guess I was wrong. Time to move on and forget about the past, hope the future is bright. I officaily retired today, now nothing but riding my bike and building custom off road trailers. Life is good, no reason to worry about stuff five years back. Make it right Bo.

Well. Congratulations. Enjoy your 4th quarter.