Tim Brown's comments about BC

In background, listening to Mike & Mike this morning (agreed that ESPN sucks).

Its the 10 year anniversary of the SB beat down of Oakland by Tampa Bay. Apparently Tim Brown is making comments/tweets that Callahan was the one that essentially blew the SB because he decided to change the game plan, the week of the SB, from a run first attack that they had been practicing, to a heavy pass attack. This especially ticked off Barrett Robinson, and Tim is claiming this was a big part of why Barrett went missing prior to the SB.

Take it for what it's worth, but I just had to laugh a little thinking that regardless of how valid this claim is, no Husker fan is gonna run to Bill's defense.

:lol:

Nothing wrong with Mike and Mike IMO. One ESPN show I don't mind.

Agreed about mike and mike. Just got a little annoying during the season with golic being on there having to listen to him go on and on about notre dame. Other than that i think there are good discussions on that show.

Very true. What do you expect from an Alumni though lol.

I didnt really get annoyed by Golic on his ND rants. He has two kids that play for Notre Dame. It's too much to ask for him to hold back. what I found interesting on Cowherd today was a 10 minute rant on how great and god-like Bellicheck, Saban, and Harbaugh are because of how hard on their players they are. Winning really does cure everything.

• Fire 1

Rich Gannon debunks the Brown version of events.

Gannon made clear that he likes and respects Brown, but he doesn’t accept Brown’s version of events, which is that Callahan “hated the Raiders so much that he would sabotage the Super Bowl.”

So why did the Raiders only run the ball 11 times while throwing 44 passes in that game? Brown says Callahan changed the game plan at the last minute, leaving the Raiders ill-prepared. But Gannon says the pass-heavy play calling happened mostly because the Raiders fell behind early and trailed 20-3 by halftime.

“I think what happened was that we came out and tried to run the football early in that game, we didn’t have a lot of success,” Gannon said. “We fell behind in the game and at that point we started throwing the ball too much.”

Considering that the Raiders gained only 19 yards on their 11 runs, that theory seems more plausible than Brown’s bizarre belief that Callahan would put in all the work necessary to lead his team to the Super Bowl and then purposely sabotage his team by changing the game plan at the last minute.

“I don’t know that the game plan really changed,” Gannon said.

Where Gannon did acknowledge the Raiders’ coaches screwed up was in not changing up the terminology they used for calls at the line of scrimmage. Jon Gruden had coached the Raiders for the four previous seasons before coaching against them in the Super Bowl, and Gannon says Callahan hadn’t changed any of the terminology the Raiders used on offense. As a result, Gruden had taught the Bucs the Raiders’ calls, and the Bucs knew what was coming when Gannon barked out his signals at the line of scrimmage.

Yeah, that center of theirs had some serious issues. There's an in-depth read about it somewhere online. I also read a Raiders fan in the comments talk about how they lost their blocking tight end that week and had to sign a guy off the streets -- who was small, and not really a blocker. Snipping a bit from knapplc's quote:

...Gannon says the pass-heavy play calling happened mostly because the Raiders fell behind early and trailed 20-3 by halftime.

Considering that the Raiders gained only 19 yards on their 11 runs, that theory seems more plausible than Brown’s bizarre belief that Callahan would put in all the work necessary to lead his team to the Super Bowl and then purposely sabotage his team by changing the game plan at the last minute.

Huh, imagine that. :lol:

Rich Gannon debunks the Brown version of events.

Gannon made clear that he likes and respects Brown, but he doesn’t accept Brown’s version of events, which is that Callahan “hated the Raiders so much that he would sabotage the Super Bowl.”

So why did the Raiders only run the ball 11 times while throwing 44 passes in that game? Brown says Callahan changed the game plan at the last minute, leaving the Raiders ill-prepared. But Gannon says the pass-heavy play calling happened mostly because the Raiders fell behind early and trailed 20-3 by halftime.

“I think what happened was that we came out and tried to run the football early in that game, we didn’t have a lot of success,” Gannon said. “We fell behind in the game and at that point we started throwing the ball too much.”

“I don’t know that the game plan really changed,” Gannon said.

Where Gannon did acknowledge the Raiders’ coaches screwed up was in not changing up the terminology they used for calls at the line of scrimmage. Jon Gruden had coached the Raiders for the four previous seasons before coaching against them in the Super Bowl, and Gannon says Callahan hadn’t changed any of the terminology the Raiders used on offense. As a result, Gruden had taught the Bucs the Raiders’ calls, and the Bucs knew what was coming when Gannon barked out his signals at the line of scrimmage.

That is priceless. I remember that game. My longtime friend is a Buc's fan from the beginning (old school Buc's tattoo) and I remember him saying they know the checks.