Best Receivers in NU History

TGHusker

Another Best of Thread, this time to discuss receivers - specifically TE and WR/Slot/WB positions. While the past posts on the 'best of series' seemed to lean pre-2000 for the best players, I believe we are in the 'Golden ERA' of receivers. Since 2000, NU has had some great tight ends and WR.

I think our current crop, Bell, Turner, etc will in time prove to be exceptional.

So here is my list, you might have more to add. How would you rank them or place them in the conversation?

TE:

Jr Miller

Jamie Williams

Johnny Mitchell

Matt Herian (if not for his injury - he may be the standard bearer IMO)

Mike McNeill (one of the most capable but under utilized)

Kyler Reid (after his soph year - we didn't take advantage of his speed as much as I thought we would)

Ben Cotton (Mr Dependable - good blocker)

Tracey Wistrom

Tom Banderas

WR/WB/Slot

Frosty Anderson

Dennis Richnafsky

Johnny Rodgers

Irving Fryar (an edit addition - oversight)

Matt Davison

Maurice Purify

Frantz Hardy

Nate Swift

Niles Paul (all of his fumbles hurt)

Kenny Bell (I think will go down as one of the all time best)

Jamel Turner (He is only beginning to show how brilliant he can be)

Throw in some good receiving running backs

Corey (Pork Chop) Ross

Marlon Lucky

Rex Burkhead

Jeff Kinney

Brandon Jackson

If I had to pick 1 RB, one TE and 3 WR to be on my team as receivers:

RB: Lucky - had speed to go with ability to catch

WR: Nate Swift - Mr Dependable - not the fastest by any means but would always catch the ball & hang onto it (the anti Niles Paul)

WR: Irving Fryar - I can still remember him catching the 'bounce pass/lateral' from Turner Gill against OU.

Slot: Johnny Rogers

TE: JR Miller (Herian - close second - due to his pre-injury dependability)

(Honorable mention: Kenny Bell - I think he is going to be great. He has speed, moves and can block when needed)

Edited by TGHusker

get rid of Hardy. and Paul shouldn't be on any list IMO. Bell will go down as one of the best. Turner has the potential to but it's early. Lucky was without a doubt one of the better out of the backfield - but that was kind of by design. Rex w/ that tough catch last year for a TD (can't remember which game it was) puts himself on top of the list though. But that's me forgiving him for Texas 10'

• Fire 1

Thats a pretty long list for WR's and TE's considering we were a running program before 2004.

I would say Davison, Hardy, Paul, Cotton, Turner, Bell, Herian, McNeill, and Reed all have to come off the list. Davison has 1 catch and 1 great game. I wouldnt call him a "great". He was a liability as a blocker anyway. Hardy never did anything remotely spectacular. Nile Paul-enough said. Cotton and Reed never had that wow factor for them to be considered a great. You have "what-ifs" notating McNeill and Herian, and while I agree with you, it's too bad, and theyre not considered a great. Jerry Rice would not be in the Hall of Fame if his career woulda ended with a knee injury in 1988. Turner and Bell are both Juniors with two years left. Though favorable to be great, we still do not know. The jury is still out on them twol.

And yes. Where the hell is Irving Fryar?

Also, while Marlon Lucky was ultimately a very solid back for us, you seem to have left off the young gun that showed him us his senior year. Roy Helu was a great, great runningback for us.

I'll never for the 2010 Mizzou game when he put the team on his back, rushing for over 300 and the single game rushing record.

• Fire 1

Johnny Rodgers,

Irving Fryar

Todd Brown

Abdhul Muhammed

Nate turner

Curtis Craig

Richard Bell

Dana Brinson

Tyrone Hughes

Purify

I think your thinking of Nunn not Franz Hardy.

Mitch Krenk

Slick Steels

Chuck Malito

Ricky Simmons

Bostick

Swanson

Monte Englebritson

Some of these you can weed out but some need to be in there somewhere. These are in no order.

• Fire 1

Another Best of Thread, this time to discuss receivers - specifically TE and WR/Slot/WB positions. While the past posts on the 'best of series' seemed to lean pre-2000 for the best players, I believe we are in the 'Golden ERA' of receivers. Since 2000, NU has had some great tight ends and WR.

I think our current crop, Bell, Turner, etc will in time prove to be exceptional.

So here is my list, you might have more to add. How would you rank them or place them in the conversation?

TE:

Jr Miller

Jamie Williams

Johnny Mitchell

Matt Herian (if not for his injury - he may be the standard bearer IMO)

Mike McNeill (one of the most capable but under utilized)

Kyler Reid (after his soph year - we didn't take advantage of his speed as much as I thought we would)

Ben Cotton (Mr Dependable - good blocker)

Tracey Wistrom

Tom Banderas

WR/WB/Slot

Frosty Anderson

Dennis Richnafsky

Johnny Rodgers

Matt Davison

Maurice Purify

Frantz Hardy (texass fumble hurts)

Nate Swift

Niles Paul (all of his fumbles hurt)

Kenny Bell (I think will go down as one of the all time best)

Jamel Turner (He is only beginning to show how brilliant he can be)

Throw in some good receiving running backs

Corey (Pork Chop) Ross

Marlon Lucky

Rex Burkhead

Jeff Kinney

Brandon Jackson

If I had to pick 1 RB, one TE and 2 WR to be on my team as receivers:

RB: Lucky - had speed to go with ability to catch

WR: Nate Swift - Mr Dependable - not the fastest by any means but would always catch the ball & hang onto it (the anti Niles Paul)

WR: Kenny Bell - I think he is going to be great. He has speed, moves and can block when needed

TE: JR Miller (Herian - close second - due to his pre-injury dependability)

Wasnt it Terrance Nunn who fumbled, Hardy didnt do much, Nunn was solid. Another guy I liked was Ross Pilkington. Shevin Wiggons has to make the list, i mean it was his foot that kicked it to Matt lol, he did have a good Orange Bowl too that season

Enunwa belongs on this list if guys like Hardy, Paul, and Turner are on there.... Also, where is Todd Peterson? The best WR we've had since Fryar is currently on the team (Bell)....

Peterson came to mind. I guess that's a deal where if Swift is on the list, Peterson has to be. I'm not for putting current players on it yet. No Bell, no Turner, no Quincy. Their careers are not over yet. knock on wood, but the jury's still out.