Sam McKewon; smack down on Dom Walker

I wouldn't call it a smackdown. He disputes Walker's version of events, especially the concept that we negatively recruited, since we have zero reputation for doing that.

He did note that Walker has thrown Nebraska under the bus and has said a number of inflammatory things and it puts the school at a disadvantage because we can't comment on a recruit, and (paraphrasing) calls that busch league, which is true. Most of the podcast is mostly discussion of recruiting, and what to do to improve it.

Basically saying Dom was badmouthing us, saying we were negative recruiting AU and AU wasn't negative recruiting against us, which is total crap. Dom basically said NU coaches were dirty recruiters. McKewon said he highly doubts when he called the coaches to decommit that he still had an offer.

McKewon mentioned of course you can only get one side b/c Nebraska can't respond b/c they can't talk about recruits, and he though DW was saying things to reporters just to make a big ado about things. Basically it sounded like he thought the kid was a big Prima Donna.

It's a good listen when you have time, and it's right away in the podcast. The rest of the interview is pretty good too and I would recommend listening to it all.

Also, aside from Walker, Sam says that in order to start demanding more instant attention on the recruiting trail, they need to start winning the games that they have consistently been losing since 2001. Basically says we need a conference championship and potentially a BCS bowl win, and then we will start demanding more attention from 17 & 18 year old kids.

Basically saying Dom was badmouthing us, saying we were negative recruiting AU and AU wasn't negative recruiting against us, which is total crap. Dom basically said NU coaches were dirty recruiters. McKewon said he highly doubts when he called the coaches to decommit that he still had an offer.

McKewon mentioned of course you can only get one side b/c Nebraska can't respond b/c they can't talk about recruits, and he though DW was saying things to reporters just to make a big ado about things. Basically it sounded like he thought the kid was a big Prima Donna.

It's a good listen when you have time, and it's right away in the podcast. The rest of the interview is pretty good too and I would recommend listening to it all.

Thanks for the rundown. I'll give it a listen over lunch.

I didn't listen to the pod cast but, I'm assuming this is from the radio this morning.

One other point he made that I completely agree with and I have been saying this for years. We need to win the recruiting battles in Nebraska and the surrounding states. This is where the meat and potatoes of our team needs to come from. We then need to go out and recruit nationally for the special players like QB, RB, CB...etc. that we can't find the talent for in our own back yard.

These "local" kids are the ones that are going to build the character of the team. These are the ones that are emotionally tied to the program and will build the most pride from within.

Hopefully with the talent we have close to home, we can win these recruiting battles this next cycle.

Callahan said basically the same thing that when bo said good luck your gonna need it they had already pulled his offer because they didn't trust him anymore, consequently if anyone has looked at the stuff he has posted on twitter lately I'm pretty glad we don't have to deal with him

I didn't listen to the pod cast but, I'm assuming this is from the radio this morning.

One other point he made that I completely agree with and I have been saying this for years. We need to win the recruiting battles in Nebraska and the surrounding states. This is where the meat and potatoes of our team needs to come from. We then need to go out and recruit nationally for the special players like QB, RB, CB...etc. that we can't find the talent for in our own back yard.

These "local" kids are the ones that are going to build the character of the team. These are the ones that are emotionally tied to the program and will build the most pride from within.

Hopefully with the talent we have close to home, we can win these recruiting battles this next cycle.

This is true. But if the talent isnt there, it isnt there. We're not gonna gain anything by having a bunch of D-II or NAIA caliber players on the roster for the sake of character. Lately, that talent just has not been there.

I guess I'm speaking of in-state kids as opposed to you speaking of Coloradoans, Missourians, Kansans, and such. But to me, if theyre from Iowa or California, out of state is out of state (unless it's council bluffs or sioux city i guess)

As far as Bo not really being able to defend himself in this situation, it doesnt mean the media cant. If guys like Dirk wanna get back on Bo's good side, it's time to fry this little sh#t. (and here I was trying to come off as the classy one the last few days of this, but the more tweets I read of his, the more I get flustered by the brat).

• Fire 1

This is true. But if the talent isnt there, it isnt there. We're not gonna gain anything by having a bunch of D-II or NAIA caliber players on the roster for the sake of character. Lately, that talent just has not been there.

I guess I'm speaking of in-state kids as opposed to you speaking of Coloradoans, Missourians, Kansans, and such. But to me, if theyre from Iowa or California, out of state is out of state (unless it's council bluffs or sioux city i guess)

If the talent isn't there, it's not there.

However, I did a study on it about a year ago. The number of kids from the surrounding states and Nebraska that were recruited by Nebraska went down considerably once the TO/Solich era was over. There was an almost definite line drawn in our recruiting once BC was hired and it really never has come back since Bo was hired.

Now, I am almost positive the genetic make up of Nebraska and the surrounding states didn't all of a sudden change once BC was hired.

If the talent isn't there, it's not there.

However, I did a study on it about a year ago. The number of kids from the surrounding states and Nebraska that were recruited by Nebraska went down considerably once the TO/Solich era was over. There was an almost definite line drawn in our recruiting once BC was hired and it really never has come back since Bo was hired.

Now, I am almost positive the genetic make up of Nebraska and the surrounding states didn't all of a sudden change once BC was hired.

Yes. And this is a theory that I have that Callahan (not that I think is was a conspired effort to ruin our tradition and history) basically burned the connections our program had with instate kids and surrounding areas. Also, Billy C may not have pressed for much of these kids beins our developmental advantages in S&C and such had been all but wiped clean and caught up to. I still think that Pelini is trying to rebuild that connection. The class we just sent out was mostly made up of walk-on type kids who were hear for 5 years and were a part of that first class under Bo which Osborne himself helped establish. It was basically a reach out move to types of guys you are speaking of.

One thing is for sure. It's going to take time to repair that connection. It took years to build it to a prideful status of juggernaut proportions and was ripped apart in days.