Sam McKewon; smack down on Dom Walker

It's also worth remembering Walker wasn't required to contact the Nebraska coaches at all -- he said he felt he needed to do the right thing after switching his commitment from Vanderbilt to Nebraska in less transparent fashion -- and that his story may force future recruits to reconsider bothering to tell Pelini at all. (It can even be argued it could cause recruits to think less positively about committing to Nebraska in the first place.)

Pelini already has a reputation for letting his emotions get the better of him when things don't go well, and this incident won't help that image at all.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21616901/report-bo-pelini-wasnt-happy-with-recruits-decommitment

SIAP

Yes. And this is a theory that I have that Callahan (not that I think is was a conspired effort to ruin our tradition and history) basically burned the connections our program had with instate kids and surrounding areas. Also, Billy C may not have pressed for much of these kids beins our developmental advantages in S&C and such had been all but wiped clean and caught up to. I still think that Pelini is trying to rebuild that connection. The class we just sent out was mostly made up of walk-on type kids who were hear for 5 years and were a part of that first class under Bo which Osborne himself helped establish. It was basically a reach out move to types of guys you are speaking of.

One thing is for sure. It's going to take time to repair that connection. It took years to build it to a prideful status of juggernaut proportions and was ripped apart in days.

Completely agree. One of the main reasons why TO was able to use so many local kids is because of his connection to the HS coaches. Those coaches developed kids that TO could use. We also had the S&C program that would take those local kids and make them monsters. Like you said, other programs have caught up to that.....in large part because we taught them how to do it.

I think Bo is trying to rebuild this connection. Like I have said on here before, these kids genetically are here. But, they either need to be developed more in HS or given the time in the program to be developed. In a perfect world, both of those things happen. We need more development of local kids in HS. The kids that have proven they are studs, then need to be offered scholarships and we need to win those battles. For the kids that need more time to develop, the walk on program is the way to go.

This is f'ing bullsh#t. Mostly because Bo and staff cannot defend themselves. People still think national media doesnt try to spin sh#t negatively about Bo. This is absolutely assenine. Neither one says anything about Walker's repeated solid commitments to Nebraska, or the bashing he did on twitter and his god damn glory fest before decommitting. Now it's another negative story about Bo. What's sad is even if our staff did not say what was said, or do what was done, they cant defend themselves, because evidently it's a violation to hold a kid accountable for the sh#t he says, true or untrue.

Yes, I am fuming pissed right now.

• Fire 3

It's also worth remembering Walker wasn't required to contact the Nebraska coaches at all -- he said he felt he needed to do the right thing after switching his commitment from Vanderbilt to Nebraska in less transparent fashion -- and that his story may force future recruits to reconsider bothering to tell Pelini at all. (It can even be argued it could cause recruits to think less positively about committing to Nebraska in the first place.)

Pelini already has a reputation for letting his emotions get the better of him when things don't go well, and this incident won't help that image at all.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21616901/report-bo-pelini-wasnt-happy-with-recruits-decommitment

SIAP

STFU. This sh#t gets so old. And of course the coaches can't comment on what was said, so if Dominic Walker wants to tell people Bo Pelini told him to f#*k off we'd have to take his word for it.

This is f'ing bullsh#t. Mostly because Bo and staff cannot defend themselves. People still think national media doesnt try to spin sh#t negatively about Bo. This is absolutely assenine. Neither one says anything about Walker's repeated solid commitments to Nebraska, or the bashing he did on twitter and his god damn glory fest before decommitting. Now it's another negative story about Bo. What's sad is even if our staff did not say what was said, or do what was done, they cant defend themselves, because evidently it's a violation to hold a kid accountable for the sh#t he says, true or untrue.

I don't disagree with your feelings. However, your comments beg the question: Why is this consistently happening to Bo/the program?

I like Bo's personality and what I believe he stands for. However, I do think Bo needs to change his game a bit (play the game to some degree) to keep from providing fodder for these biased articles (and I gotta believe the same fodder Bo "provides" for these articles also turns off some recruits, not necessarily for the better).

I HATE politics, but I understand that I have to play them, at least a little, to maximize success potential.

Some of it is due to Bo's behavior, obviously, but he is far, far from the only fiery head coach at a major program. I think the main thing that amplifies it is that our local media dorks played into it so much, and some of their coverage feeds into national coverage.

Thats part of the point I'm trying to make though. Because their are plenty of fiery coaches out there, why bash Bo moreso than the others? My guess is that part of it is his personality. I can understand where some find him abrasive, even if I personally don't agree. And even though they shouldn't, some in the media that have a problem with Bo, use their platform to denegrate him. Unfortunately to change this, if it can, is to dance/schmooze more than he wants. For the sake of his program, I think he has too.

I consider a lot of my personality traits to mirror a lot of what I see/believe Bo to have. However, I know I often have to swallow/hide my true words/feelings to avoid chaffing others in the business/PC world.

Not necessarily wrong, and I think he does work with reasonable guys like Shatel and sipple. Then you have dirk that attacks any chance he gets and goes out of his way to ask antagonizing questions at conferences. Should bo really have to kiss that idiot's ass? Or barfknecht, who has always taken any opportunity to paint Nebraska in a bad light? I don't think so.

I don't disagree with your feelings. However, your comments beg the question: Why is this consistently happening to Bo/the program?

I like Bo's personality and what I believe he stands for. However, I do think Bo needs to change his game a bit (play the game to some degree) to keep from providing fodder for these biased articles (and I gotta believe the same fodder Bo "provides" for these articles also turns off some recruits, not necessarily for the better).

I HATE politics, but I understand that I have to play them, at least a little, to maximize success potential.

Bo has changed dramatically over the past couple years. Bottom line is it is winning that cures all. When Saban or Bellichick have their little hissy fits or "moments", all you hear on espn radio all day is how great they are and how great it is that they dont care.

I kid around about suggesting a conspiracy by ESPN against Bo. It's not agianst Bo or Nebraska. It's against anyone who isnt winning or being the current "hot sh#t" at the moment. If Bo and Nebraska were winning championships instead of an uninspiring 10 games/year, then ESPN would be jackin him off all day instead of Saban. Regardless, there is a double standard, and it still is bullsh#t.

http://espn.go.com/ncaa/conversations/_/id/8899532/commitments-far-sure-thing-today-recruiting-world

For addtional fodder, heres todays ESPN article on recruiting where Walker's comments are used to take a swipe at Bo. After Walker's comments, the writer follows-up with this nugget:

"But not all coaches take the issue of decommitments personally."

Sure enough, someone posts the comment: "Bo Pelini, living up to his reputation. Keep it classy Bo."

http://espn.go.com/n...ecruiting-world

For addtional fodder, heres todays ESPN article on recruiting where Walker's comments are used to take a swipe at Bo. After Walker's comments, the writer follows-up with this nugget:

"But not all coaches take the issue of decommitments personally."

Sure enough, someone posts the comment: "Bo Pelini, living up to his reputation. Keep it classy Bo."

f'ing ESPN. No wonder.....No wonder...