Best Defensive Back in NU History

TGHusker

All lists like this are subjective. Mike Brown comes to my mind for this list. I remember the Orange Bowl vs Tenn and Peyton Manning. Peyton had driven his team down the field finally and it looked like they might be able to punch one in. Mike B tackled the Tenn running back,Jamaal Lewis, rolled him and caused a fumble which we recovered.

Look at the 2:20 mark on the video.

• 2 weeks later...

We have had some great DBs in our long history. My memory is pretty short when it comes to the 60s - 70s - most of my list deals wt the 80s - present. With this catagory, I think the discussion begins with Mike Brown. I think he set the standard and is the standard for hard hitting, great coverage agressive DB play. My top 10 list is a ranking of order of who I would want on my team. For example the 1st 5 would make a great 5 back group. Combination of speed, hard hitting and coverage guys.

My second 10 follows - but in no ranking order. I'm sure you can think of many more names to add to the discussion.

Do you see any of our current guys or recruits making this list? If so, who?

Mike Brown - top of the class, aggressive hitter, great coverage

Ralph Brown agressive hitter

Josh Bullocks 10 intercepts in his last season

Daniel Bullocks - long interception returns

Baron Miles - hard hitter - Great special teams player - many blocked kicks

Michael Booker

Prince Amukamara - had fewer opportunities as a senior to stack up the records - QBs were avoiding him. Tight coverage guy

Alfonnzo Dennard - injury hurt his senior year. But like Prince, QBs knew better not to throw his way. Tight coverage

Mike Minter

Eric Warfield

2nd Group

Tyrone Williams

Bret Clark

Keyou Craver

DeJuan Groce (perhaps better known for his special team play)

Matt O'Hanlon - great at run support and also the unexpected blitz

Bruce Pickens

Pat Fisher

Eric Stoken

Brian Washiginton

Dana Stephenson

1. Mike Brown(football smarts, athleticism, is a literal on the field coach like Singletary was)

2. Ralph Brown(as nuch or maybe a bit more althletic, but not an on field coach like Mike)

3. Gomes(The best Secondary player I have seen since the brown brothers when you watched him play by play during the game) He didn't get the hype of some of the other players for some reason

In all seriousness Pat Ricketts! ;)

he would agree :)

And probably has the biggest bank account....(a measurable stat)

I've always wondered but never did see something for sure on this, but I feel like that's what you're alluding to. Is Pat a member of the very well-to-do Ricketts family?

Yes.

We have had some great DBs in our long history. My memory is pretty short when it comes to the 60s - 70s - most of my list deals wt the 80s - present. With this catagory, I think the discussion begins with Mike Brown. I think he set the standard and is the standard for hard hitting, great coverage agressive DB play. My top 10 list is a ranking of order of who I would want on my team. For example the 1st 5 would make a great 5 back group. Combination of speed, hard hitting and coverage guys.

My second 10 follows - but in no ranking order. I'm sure you can think of many more names to add to the discussion.

Do you see any of our current guys or recruits making this list? If so, who?

Mike Brown - top of the class, aggressive hitter, great coverage

Ralph Brown agressive hitter

Josh Bullocks 10 intercepts in his last season

Daniel Bullocks - long interception returns

Baron Miles - hard hitter - Great special teams player - many blocked kicks

Michael Booker

Prince Amukamara - had fewer opportunities as a senior to stack up the records - QBs were avoiding him. Tight coverage guy

Alfonnzo Dennard - injury hurt his senior year. But like Prince, QBs knew better not to throw his way. Tight coverage

Mike Minter

Eric Warfield

2nd Group

Tyrone Williams

Bret Clark

Keyou Craver

DeJuan Groce (perhaps better known for his special team play)

Matt O'Hanlon - great at run support and also the unexpected blitz

Bruce Pickens

Pat Fisher

Eric Stoken

Brian Washiginton

Dana Stephenson

1. Mike Brown(football smarts, athleticism, is a literal on the field coach like Singletary was)

2. Ralph Brown(as nuch or maybe a bit more althletic, but not an on field coach like Mike)

3. Gomes(The best Secondary player I have seen since the brown brothers when you watched him play by play during the game) He didn't get the hype of some of the other players for some reason

I can't believe I left Gomes off of my OP. Gomes caused so many turnovers. We need a turnover causing machine like him. I remember several times him catching a receiver and knocking the ball out of their arms when they weren't expecting it. Speed and could hit. I guess I fell into the 'less hype' trap you mentioned.

I don't disagree with O'Hanlon's inclusion in this list, but it's funny to see after he was ripped to shreds - exceedingly harshly by some - early in the 2009 season. I never agreed with the grief he got, and I never respected the choice people made to rip on a player like that.

O'Hanlon wasn't the greatest athlete to play in the secondary for Nebraska, but you won't find a kid with more heart, and you won't find a kid it meant more to throughout Nebraska's long and gloried past.

History remembers O'Hanlon better today than when he was playing, and he deserves that. He did not deserve the vilification he received from some fans.

O'Hanlon was so good for us. I think it was that one long pass given up at the end of the VaTech game - which might not even have been his fault, I don't remember the explanation on that - that got him unfairly ripped. All people remembered for a while was that play and maybe one or two other blown coverages. But he was rock steady and turned in a great senior season after that.

O'Hanlon wasn't the greatest athlete to play in the secondary for Nebraska, but you won't find a kid with more heart, and you won't find a kid it meant more to throughout Nebraska's long and gloried past.

Did we watch the same O'Hanlon? Matty was athletic as heck. Rewatch his performance against UT in the 2009 CCG. His closing speed on Texas' outside plays was phenomenal. He sure looked more athletic than Damion Stafford and PJ Smith, who looked like they had lead in their shoes chasing Wisconsin's outside runs 10-15 yards past the LOS, where O'hanlon was busting up those plays anywhere from 5 yards behind to 2-3 yards past the LOS consistently.

The VaTech debacle is the only bad play I can remember from him, and I can come up with many different instances where he made some serious plays. MOH probably provided the greatest return on investment of any player in NU history. The guy made the team through try-out and ended up being the quarterback of one of the best defenses of all time.