Catholic Hospital says Fetus is not a person

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2013/01/25/st_thomas_more_hospital_lawsuit_a_fetus_is_not_a_person_when_we_re_being.html

In a country as awash in bad faith and empty political posturing as ours, it's always fun to expose blatant hypocrisy. That's why the story of the St. Thomas More Hospital lawsuit is ripping through the Internet. It's a sad one, really: Lori Stodghill, seven months pregnant, was admitted to the hospital with a blocked artery that killed her and the two fetuses inside her. The plaintiff, her husband, Jeremy Stodghill, is claiming that because her doctor didn't answer his pages, the twins died unnecessarily and could have been rescued through an emergency C-section, even if Lori's life couldn't be saved. The hospital's defense, so far successful, is to claim that because the twins were fetuses and not people, this can't legally be viewed as a wrongful-death situation.

Interesting stance coming from the Catholic Health group.

I'll go out on a limb to bet that there are very few people on this board who actually think that a 7 month fetus (baby) isn't a human being.

But I could certainly be way off.

Yea, like the last paragraph of the article said:

Stodghill's pregnancy was seven months along, and despite anti-choice propaganda to the contrary, women at that stage of pregnancy don't suddenly wake up one day and decide to terminate. Most women, even super pro-choice women, feel much differently about a seven-month pregnancy than an eight-week pregnancy, even if the Catholic Church doesn't seem to see any difference at all.

As an attorney, I know that the law and morals don't often/ever coincide.

I'm still dumbfounded how this legal team got away with this. Doubt their client wanted them using THAT defense.

This case has been going on for several years and the client is free to instruct them to stop using that defense at any time. Yet they have not.

As an attorney, I know that the law and morals don't often/ever coincide.

I'm still dumbfounded how this legal team got away with this. Doubt their client wanted them using THAT defense.

This case has been going on for several years and the client is free to instruct them to stop using that defense at any time. Yet they have not.

Lack of supervision somewhere in the chain. I'm (non-practicing) Catholic but I'm not going to begin to act like I know the structure of the church. Can't believe they'd want this defense used.

This can't be good for the Catholic church.

Catholics contradict themselves a lot.... (Let the wrath of Catholic Huskerboarders' begin)....

How so????

this one always makes me laugh. i mean, your savior died for you, but you can not even sacrifice corned beef (gross).

As Luck Would Have It, Bishops Allow Meat on St. Patrick's Day

Despite the Vatican's prohibition against eating meat on Fridays during Lent, Catholic bishops in about one-third of the country's 197 dioceses have issued a one-day waiver of the rule, citing the benefits of Irish American tradition and community.

so the rules of lent are controlled by the whims of bishops?

i know it is a little petty, but you asked. also, i think this decision comes down to money, as well.