Best Linebackers in NU History

TGHusker

The reason I put LaVonte #1 is because when I pick mvp's and such, I have this thing where I try to imagine where the team would be without that person. Obviously, the worse off they would be means the more valueable they are. We can look back on that 2011 season and easily make a pretty grim assumption where the team would be without LaVonte David.

Same reason I made him my MVP. -

Here are 2 "IFs and BUTs" thoughts:

1. As someone noted before: What if L David had been in the program 4 years? I think we'd be thinking of him as the all time greatest D guy at NU instead of Suh or at least in the same conversation.

2. What if L David had not been here? What would we be thinking about Bo P (not Ruud) now - easily could have had back to back years of almost worse ever kind of D performances. I think he saves Bo's career with that stripped ball against OSU. (OK I may have overstated that - but it was VERY BIG) If we lose big to OSU (which we were on the way towards), I think it sets us back for the rest of the season. There would not have been the biggest comeback ever & we may not have been the come backs kids this past year - the OSU comeback gave us the "We can do this" attitude for this past year IMHO. All very speculative I know - but his impact on 2011 cannot be underestimated.

I can go with that. I remember tellin my wife not long before that play that we were witnessing a 2007-like meltdown right before our eyes.

it really goes to show how fragile seasons, and even careers, can be.

The reason I put LaVonte #1 is because when I pick mvp's and such, I have this thing where I try to imagine where the team would be without that person. Obviously, the worse off they would be means the more valueable they are. We can look back on that 2011 season and easily make a pretty grim assumption where the team would be without LaVonte David.

1. As someone noted before: What if L David had been in the program 4 years? I think we'd be thinking of him as the all time greatest D guy at NU instead of Suh or at least in the same conversation.

2. What if L David had not been here? What would we be thinking about Bo P (not Ruud) now - easily could have had back to back years of almost worse ever kind of D performances. I think he saves Bo's career with that stripped ball against OSU. (OK I may have overstated that - but it was VERY BIG) If we lose big to OSU (which we were on the way towards), I think it sets us back for the rest of the season. There would not have been the biggest comeback ever & we may not have been the come backs kids this past year - the OSU comeback gave us the "We can do this" attitude for this past year IMHO. All very speculative I know - but his impact on 2011 cannot be underestimated.

I can go with that. I remember tellin my wife not long before that play that we were witnessing a 2007-like meltdown right before our eyes.

Funny that we end up wt 2 of the 2007 meltdowns the next year.

I didnt mean meltdown as far as invidual blowout losses. I meant meltdown as two blowout losses in a row (wiscy and OSU) leading to the complete tanking of an overhyped season resulting in no bowl game and coaching change-again. You know, the catastrophic meltdown.

Funny that we end up wt 2 of the 2007 meltdowns the next year.

I didnt mean meltdown as far as invidual blowout losses. I meant meltdown as two blowout losses in a row (wiscy and OSU) leading to the complete tanking of an overhyped season resulting in no bowl game and coaching change-again. You know, the catastrophic meltdown.

:bang Yep, I agree it could have been gotten pretty ugly.

I watched a highlight video some time ago of the 2011 Ohio State game. It wasn't jsut the strip from Braxton Miller - Lavonte David was in on just about every damn play. I agree that that strip (and probably Sean Fisher's twisting of the ankle) was a career saver for Pelini. I had the same thoughts as the posts above when watching that game...

David was amazing. In 2010 against K-State, T-Mart had all the highlight reels, but holy crap David made eleventy hundred tackles in that game. K-State's running back Daniel Thomas came in with a bunch of hype for that game, but he may have well been wearing a Lavonte David dress that night, cuz LD was draped all over him.

I watched a highlight video some time ago of the 2011 Ohio State game. It wasn't jsut the strip from Braxton Miller - Lavonte David was in on just about every damn play. I agree that that strip (and probably Sean Fisher's twisting of the ankle) was a career saver for Pelini. I had the same thoughts as the posts above when watching that game...

David was amazing. In 2010 against K-State, T-Mart had all the highlight reels, but holy crap David made eleventy hundred tackles in that game. K-State's running back Daniel Thomas came in with a bunch of hype for that game, but he may have well been wearing a Lavonte David dress that night, cuz LD was draped all over him.

my over under for david's tackles in any given game was usually around 16 and he was mostly over. i remember in that ksu game he had like 11-13 in the first half, something nuts.

Just so you know. Braxton was not injured by Fisher twisting his ankle. Braxton's injury was caused by his own clumsiness. He high sprained his ankle 2 steps before Fisher got ahold of him. I just dont want it to seem like we hurt a guy to win the game. He hurt himself.

D. Williams represents Bo's D from 2003. Williams had more of a supporting cast than L David did in 2011 but in some ways had a similiar impact. He seemed to come out of no where (literally on the blitz package) to become a real spark plug for that D. He elevated Bo's stance in Huskerland. Bo came in after Frank's 7-7 year and created a D that either should have saved Frank's job or promoted Bo to HC - but that is a debate that has been on many threads before. I think D Williams made NU D exciting again. Because of his speed, he was almost unstoppable off of the corner. Pity those QBs.

D. Williams definitely showed out that year but you could make a case that Josh Bullocks represented that 2003 D more than anyone. No way he gets the INT record without Bo's help. It was ridiculous watching him snag one out of the air every week. it was also pretty cool that he got his record breaking INT against some hot shot freshman quarterback named Vince Young.