The guys coming in next year.. What is being said?

We have a lot of new guys coming in next year... Curious if people have said anything about some of the guys practicing... and also the recruits...

Obviously we dont know much about the 3 recruits till they get on campus. I havent heard much about which one of the 3 transfers is impressing in practice, or if guys like Vucetic are getting better?

Any information would be great and I will include it on this page.

Below is a quick profile on the 6 players we will add to our active roster next season.

Transfers:

#5 Terran Petteway- 6'6 Forward/Guard

Texas Tech

Eligibility: 3 years

Quick blurb: Petteway played in 27 games at Texas Tech as a true freshman in 2011-12, making 11 starts for the Red Raiders and averaging 3.3 points and 2.1 rebounds per game. He had a season-high 13 points in 15 minutes of action against DePaul in the Old Spice Classic and also had nine-point contests against Indiana State and Cal State Bakersfield. He grabbed a career-high 10 rebounds in an overtime loss to NCAA qualifier Texas, one of three games with at least five caroms. In all, 10 of his 11 starts came in Big 12 action. (From Huskers.com)

What is being said about him in practice:

-------------

#35 Walter Pitchford- 6'10 Forward

Florida

Eligibility: 3 years

Quick blurb: Pitchford spent the 2011-12 season at Florida, where he appeared in 13 games, helping the Gators finish 26-11 and reach the NCAA Elite Eight. He totaled six points and four rebounds in 22 minutes of action on the year. He had two points against Virginia in the second round of the NCAA Tournament and grabbed a rebound in three minutes of action in the Gators' third-round win over Norfolk State. Pitchford played a season-high four minutes against Jacksonville in non-conference action and saw time in four SEC contests as a true freshman. (From Huskers.com)

-------

#1 Deverell Biggs- 6'0 Guard

Seward County CC

Eligibility: 2 years

Quick blurb: Biggs comes to Nebraska after earning first-team NJCAA All-America honors after guiding Seward County Community College to a 31-7 record and a third-place finish at the NJCAA National Tournament in 2011-12. He averaged 14.6 points, 3.1 assists, 3.3 steals and 3.7 rebounds per game for Coach Bryan Zollinger, ranking fifth nationally in steals. On the season, he had eight games with at least 20 points, including a near triple double with 26 points, 11 rebounds and eight assists in one contest, and also eight games with at least five steals. (From Huskers.com)

Recruits:

Tai Webster-- 6'3 Guard-- :star :star :star :star

Auckland, NZ

Eligibility: 4 years

Quick blurb: Webster, at 6-foot-3 and 185 pounds, gives him a good start. ESPN ranks the 17-year-old as a four-star recruit and the No. 29 point guard in the 2013 class.Besides high school ball, Webster has played with the New Zealand national team. He averaged 13.5 points a game in the 2012 FIBA Olympic qualifying tournament and shot 62.5 percent from 3-point range. (from OWH)

----------------------------------

Nick Fuller --6'7 Forward-- :star :star :star

Sun Prairie, WI

Quick blurb: Fuller is a 6-foot-7 left-handed shooting guard who averaged 23 points and eight rebounds last season for Sun Prairie High School. He chose Nebraska over Minnesota. He also had offers from Illinois, Creighton, Marquette, Butler, Drake and Northern Iowa, where then-Panther assistant Ben Johnson recruited him before joining Miles’ staff at Nebraska.(From LJS)

---------------------------------

Nathan Hawkins-- 6'5 Guard/Forward -- :star :star :star

Rowlett, TX

Quick blurb: The 6-5 Hawkins, from Rowlett, Texas, averaged 12.9 points while shooting 46.8 percent from the field for Rowlett High. He said Miles wants him to be “a play-making guard, a scoring and creating point guard.”

Hawkins also had offers from Kansas State, Oklahoma State, UTEP and Lehigh, among others. He said assistant coach Craig Smith began recruiting Hawkins while at Colorado State, and that Nebraska offered a scholarship in July at the end of the AAU season. Hawkins plays for the Dallas Mustangs. (From LJS)

• Fire 4

Comments about practice play of the redshirts.

http://journalstar.c...2cf2d127c6.html

I like the blend of athleticism and shooters in this class between the redshirts and future freshmen.

Thanks for posting that.

I had a buddy tell me that a guy who is at practice every day said "Pitchford is the best player to come to Nebraska in 5 years"

Take it for what its worth--this article says all the nice/coach speak type things...

I honestly see pitchford/petteway/biggs all starting next year... maybe go really small and start Webster and Gallegos as well. Not sure what we do at the 4. I think Pitchford plays the 5(undersized) unless Vucetic somehow puts on 60 pounds.

My assumption is this:

5- Pitchford/ Vucetic/Kurkowski

4- Shields/Rivers/Fuller

3- Petteway/Hawkins/Tyrance

2- Gallegos/Peltz/Richie

1- Biggs/Webster/Parker/Menke

This changes if they add Attewe and Thomas or one or the other. I think if we get both Thomas and Attewe(drooling)

We roll with this:

5- Pitchford/Attewe/Vucetic/Kurkowski

4- Thomas/ Rivers/Fuller

3- Petteway/Shields/Hawkins/Tyrance

2- Gallegos/Shields/Peltz/Richie

I think you see Fuller and Hawkins redshirt... possibly.

Lots of tweeners... Attewe probably more of a 4... petteway more of a 4.. Shields is more of a 3--webster is a mix of 1/2.

Few guys who get pushed out of playing time because of this: Parker, Peltz, Rivers

I like the blend of athleticism and shooters in this class between the redshirts and future freshmen.

Thanks for posting that.

I had a buddy tell me that a guy who is at practice every day said "Pitchford is the best player to come to Nebraska in 5 years"

Take it for what its worth--this article says all the nice/coach speak type things...

I honestly see pitchford/petteway/biggs all starting next year... maybe go really small and start Webster and Gallegos as well. Not sure what we do at the 4. I think Pitchford plays the 5(undersized) unless Vucetic somehow puts on 60 pounds.

My assumption is this:

4- Shields/Rivers/Fuller

2- Gallegos/Peltz/Richie

This changes if they add Attewe and Thomas or one or the other. I think if we get both Thomas and Attewe(drooling)

We roll with this:

4- Thomas/ Rivers/Fuller

Lots of tweeners... Attewe probably more of a 4... petteway more of a 4.. Shields is more of a 3--webster is a mix of 1/2.

Few guys who get pushed out of playing time because of this: Parker, Peltz, Rivers

I hear Webster is incredible. From what I've been told he will probably start next year. I think Biggs sees significant time from off the bench though.

Thanks for posting that.

My assumption is this:

4- Shields/Rivers/Fuller

2- Gallegos/Peltz/Richie

We roll with this:

4- Thomas/ Rivers/Fuller

I hear Webster is incredible. From what I've been told he will probably start next year. I think Biggs sees significant time from off the bench though.

Webster is 18 years old.. I think he is our starter by the end of the year, but I think Biggs will start off as the starter.

I wouldnt be shocked to see them both start and Gallegos to play the 3.. If Petteway is worth a damn he might start the 4 and pitchford could start the 5 if we wanted to go with a smaller/athletic lineup.

I don't think we see anyone redshirt. This program needs a talent infusion in the worst way from top to bottom. I also am not as high on Petteway, he is athletic and will be a good defender, but doesn't have a great offensive game. I bet he comes off the bench. I have a feeling Parker is going to struggle to see much PT next season and Peltz won't see the court.

I am expecting a lot faster pace next season. Miles has had to keep the games low just so we can hang around. With the athletes we will have next season it will be a very different story.

I kind of see it as:

4- Petteway/Rivers

3 Shields/Fuller

2- Gallegos/Hawkins/Peltz

1- Biggs/Webster/Parker

It may be Webster plays 2 guard and Hawkins pt. We shall see.

IMO If we sign Atewe or Thomas or both, I think we could see some redshirting as you probably can't find enough time for more than 10 players.

Petteway best offense is on the break and Biggs is fairly good in the open court. Gallegos could do the spot up 3 or finish. If we can rebound, this team could actually run a bit more.

Thanks for posting that.

My assumption is this:

4- Shields/Rivers/Fuller

2- Gallegos/Peltz/Richie

We roll with this:

4- Thomas/ Rivers/Fuller

Nah I have to disagree a little

At the beginning of the year the starting lineup will be

1. Biggs or Webster (whoever wins out) most likely Biggs because he has the experience

2. Ray with the loser of Biggs/Webster matchup being the 6th kman

3. Pettaway getting the big minutes.. Rivers will get time between 3 and 4

4. Shields.. Money in the bank with that one with Rivers plays a key role here,

5. Honestly up in the air, depends what kind of lineup we go with but Vucetic will start it out.

Thanks for posting that.

My assumption is this:

4- Shields/Rivers/Fuller

2- Gallegos/Peltz/Richie

We roll with this:

4- Thomas/ Rivers/Fuller

I kind of see it as:

4- Petteway/Rivers

3 Shields/Fuller

1- Biggs/Webster/Parker

IMO If we sign Atewe or Thomas or both, I think we could see some redshirting as you probably can't find enough time for more than 10 players.

Petteway best offense is on the break and Biggs is fairly good in the open court. Gallegos could do the spot up 3 or finish. If we can rebound, this team could actually run a bit more.

I kind of see it as:

4- Petteway/Rivers

3 Shields/Fuller

1- Biggs/Webster/Parker

Fair enough but people I knew at KU said Selby was the best player to come out of there that they have seen in the 21st century.. We will see though

Thanks for posting that.

My assumption is this:

4- Shields/Rivers/Fuller

2- Gallegos/Peltz/Richie

We roll with this:

4- Thomas/ Rivers/Fuller

Nah I have to disagree a little

At the beginning of the year the starting lineup will be

1. Biggs or Webster (whoever wins out) most likely Biggs because he has the experience

2. Ray with the loser of Biggs/Webster matchup being the 6th kman

3. Pettaway getting the big minutes.. Rivers will get time between 3 and 4

4. Shields.. Money in the bank with that one with Rivers plays a key role here,

5. Honestly up in the air, depends what kind of lineup we go with but Vucetic will start it out.

I dont get how you can say Vucetic will start? The kid hasnt seen any time this year... Honestly him and Kurkowski look like the same type of player.