2013 Ranking the class

83, after heard and Rome. Pretty sure you said before that we'd be lucky to make 80, so you should be pleasantly surprised. Janovich is well deserving of a scholarship. Be interesting to see who gets the other. Maybe the kicker transfer or pelini. Maybe roach if he makes a move at mike.

The only way to guarantee a full 85 is to over sign, and that's not going to happen. We will always shoot for a full 85 and then give the extra few that open up to walkons. It's a good system, as it is fair to the kids that are promised scholarships and allows us to reward walkons that have earned it.

And I'm not aware that any of our signees are academic risks this year, are you?

Heard, Rome and Ash makes 82. And I still think we'll be lucky to go into fall with 80. I'm not saying we have to be at 85, but we aren't even there after signing day. That's an issue IMO. That would sill allow us to give the extra couple that open up over the next 8 months to walk-ons. None at risk really, except maybe Dixon - but seems like only about once in 10 years to all 25 actually make it to campus so the odds aren't that great a day after signing.

To keep the walk-on tradition alive, we'll almost never have a full 85. It gives them some "hope" that they can get a scholarship if they earn it. Typically at least 1-2 senior walkons get a scholarship.

And I don't forsee us losing 3 more players before next season starts. Most transfers happen prior to spring, so they can get spring ball in with their new team. Not quite sure where you're getting this 8 month figure. It's February. So March, April, May, June, July...5 months... and like I said, most transfers are during this dead time when people know they are unhappy and looking at other teams needs that they could help fill. Tyler Moore situations don't happen all the time. Also, most transfers aren't starting caliber players - most of them transfer because they are getting beat out, thus not seeing playing time. I'd also say that most transfers tend to be "busts" AT Nebraska, and its good for them to leave and open up more schollies.

Cody Green, Aaron Green, Chase Rome, Dontrayveous Robinson all come to mind.

Don't mind KC he's an eternal pessimist when it comes to our recruiting numbers. I personally don't mind a few left over for senior walk ons or a guy like janovich.

If you think about it, your really getting the best if both worlds. Your spending a scholarship on a guy you KNOW is going to contribute, not one on who you think will. Then you get it back the next year. With only 17 seniors, and after having the year we "should" have on the field those extra spots will come in handy for more talent in the next class.

My grades, btw: QB A+ Elite 11 QB that seems to have the right set of intangibles. RB A+ Two studs with top shelf offers WR B Two good prospects TE A I think carter is going to be a steal and hart is a good prospect OL A- Really like the guys we got, especially hannon, just think we needed four high school guys after only getting two last year. Nice that both the jucos could be three year guys though. Addressed a need at tackle quite well with this group. DE A impact juco and two high quality high school kids. DT B- starting to like these two kids more and more, but think we needed a third one, especially an instant impact juco. LB A+ studs CB D+ boaz looks like a good prospect, but we really needed more than one corner S A singleton enrolling early was big. Two other great athletes at a need position. ST A a great snapper, a transfer kicker, a good walkon punter and another load of good walkons for special teams. Overall A- a lot of good players and met most needs. Would have liked a juco DT, another corner and another high school OL.

I think you forgot about Mixon. He could fit into either DE or DT, but I really like him at DE.

Don't mind KC he's an eternal pessimist when it comes to our recruiting numbers. I personally don't mind a few left over for senior walk ons or a guy like janovich.

If you think about it, your really getting the best if both worlds. Your spending a scholarship on a guy you KNOW is going to contribute, not one on who you think will. Then you get it back the next year. With only 17 seniors, and after having the year we "should" have on the field those extra spots will come in handy for more talent in the next class.

yes, because all of those walk-ons would have quit their senior year if not for that scholly they finally received.... [sarcasm]

yes, because all of those walk-ons would have quit their senior year if not for that scholly they finally received.... [sarcasm]

If you don't reward those walk-ons deserving of a scholarship then you might as well do away with the walk-on program all together since the quality of walk-ons will likely decrease.

• Fire 2

If you don't reward those walk-ons deserving of a scholarship then you might as well do away with the walk-on program all together since the quality of walk-ons will likely decrease.

because none of those Nebraska kids would want to play for the Huskers anymore.... [sarcasm]

because none of those Nebraska kids would want to play for the Huskers anymore.... [sarcasm]

You're right, much better chance of getting a casey sayles/mike shoff to walk-on if there's a 0% chance of them ever receiving a scholarship regardless of how successful they become.... [sarsacm]

No... but if you gave them no hope of ever receiving a scholarship, why walk on? There would be absolutely no point for them to walk on and get their asses kicked every day in practice.

Most of them have full ride scholarships else where to begin with.

My grades, btw: QB A+ Elite 11 QB that seems to have the right set of intangibles. RB A+ Two studs with top shelf offers WR B Two good prospects TE A I think carter is going to be a steal and hart is a good prospect OL A- Really like the guys we got, especially hannon, just think we needed four high school guys after only getting two last year. Nice that both the jucos could be three year guys though. Addressed a need at tackle quite well with this group. DE A impact juco and two high quality high school kids. DT B- starting to like these two kids more and more, but think we needed a third one, especially an instant impact juco. LB A+ studs CB D+ boaz looks like a good prospect, but we really needed more than one corner S A singleton enrolling early was big. Two other great athletes at a need position. ST A a great snapper, a transfer kicker, a good walkon punter and another load of good walkons for special teams. Overall A- a lot of good players and met most needs. Would have liked a juco DT, another corner and another high school OL.

I think you forgot about Mixon. He could fit into either DE or DT, but I really like him at DE.

Actually forgot about suttles and counted mixon at end. Suttles looks like a good prospect at end. If mixon ends up as a three technique, could bump that grade to a B. Still didn't get a sure fire guy or an impact juco at tackle, but I do like the guys we got.

Not sure who you're missing, but I've got 83

Qb 3

Rb 4

Fb 2

WR 9 10 - Enunwa, Bell, Carnes, Evans, Turner, Allen, Moore, Westerkamp, Dixon, Gladney

TE 5 4 - Sutton, Cotton, Carter, Hart

OL 17

De 9

DT 8

Lb 9

Cb 8

S 7

Ls and k 2

I have 83 as well but a different distribution. I've listed the differences above.

Nice article in the JS about the OLine recruits. This paragraph (and change) caught my eye:

Just like that, Nebraska had five offensive linemen in the class, and some impressive head-to-head recruiting wins against Southeastern Conference programs along the way. In addition to Nebraska beating the Razorbacks for Johnson, Knevel was courted by Alabama, Hannon by Missouri and Arkansas, Kondolo by Tennessee.

Finnin, meanwhile, resisted a late recruiting push from Ohio State.

JS Article