Hypothetical 2013 B1G Championship & MNC

QMany

It sickens me that I may have to root for tOSU to run the tables in the regular season to give the B1G the best shot at getting in the MNC.

As long as Urban Meyer is there, I will never root for Ohio St..... That arrogant bastard; who does he think he is planning on instructing other coaches on how to recruit? Given the competitive spirit of other coaches, I doubt it will go over well.... Maybe a Pelini head-butt, followed by Hoke sitting on him....

He wants to raise the prestige level of the B1G, across the board, so that a 1-loss B1G team doesn't get looked at as well, they were only playing in the B1G. It's good for all of us. Who does he think he is? One of the best recruiters in the country. And that's pride getting in the way of competitive spirit if other coaches aren't receptive to what he has to say. Bashing Urban may give us fans a small measure of comfort but it's probably better to deal in reality.

The most industrious coaches will look at what he's doing and learn from his best qualities while avoiding his worst. The second-rate coaches will grumble and grumble and get offended and purse their lips and carry on.

I'd prefer if Bo just figured his own way himself and tell Urban to go boink himself. Just my opinion.

Well, if we lose early to UCLA we are screwed. Another 1 loss PAC team will probably go over us if they beat UCLA. Which means most likely Oregon. (Plays UCLA @ Home).

Losing late to Michigan screws us over too, unless all hell breaks loose (somewhat like this year) and every team just loses that week.

And FWIW, I doubt we lose to UCLA or Michigan. I think @ Penn State is more dangerous than those 2 games. From what I'm hearing, our defense won't be pathetic this year.

Idk UCLA scares the crap out of me, they had a great recruiting class and are really on a roll right now. On the upside they are losing their running back who torched us last year

If there is an udefeated PAC12 or SEC champion, Nebraska's chances are zero to play in the National Championship.

Obviously if there is Pac12 and SEC champion undefeated, we wouldn't go.

You have to think a one-loss Nebraska beating an undefeated Ohio State would do well in polls over a Pac12 one-loss.

Yeah I read that faster than I comprehended it. I think the pecking order for 1 loss National Championship teams is SEC, B1G, Big XII, PAC12, ACC. It's only an opinion, of course.

Not if that team is USC. For some reason a 1 loss USC is better than a 1 loss Nebraska.

If there is an udefeated PAC12 or SEC champion, Nebraska's chances are zero to play in the National Championship.

You have to think a one-loss Nebraska beating an undefeated Ohio State would do well in polls over a Pac12 one-loss.

Yeah I read that faster than I comprehended it. I think the pecking order for 1 loss National Championship teams is SEC, B1G, Big XII, PAC12, ACC. It's only an opinion, of course.

Not if that team is USC. For some reason a 1 loss USC is better than a 1 loss Nebraska.

You think that train wreck will get rerouted?

You think that train wreck will get rerouted?

This will be Lane Kiffin's last year in LA. Mark my words now.

Well, if we lose early to UCLA we are screwed. Another 1 loss PAC team will probably go over us if they beat UCLA. Which means most likely Oregon. (Plays UCLA @ Home).

Losing late to Michigan screws us over too, unless all hell breaks loose (somewhat like this year) and every team just loses that week.

And FWIW, I doubt we lose to UCLA or Michigan. I think @ Penn State is more dangerous than those 2 games. From what I'm hearing, our defense won't be pathetic this year.

Idk UCLA scares the crap out of me, they had a great recruiting class and are really on a roll right now. On the upside they are losing their running back who torched us last year

And we're losing the guys who GOT torched last year.

Win / Win.

• Fire 1

It sickens me that I may have to root for tOSU to run the tables in the regular season to give the B1G the best shot at getting in the MNC.

As long as Urban Meyer is there, I will never root for Ohio St..... That arrogant bastard; who does he think he is planning on instructing other coaches on how to recruit? Given the competitive spirit of other coaches, I doubt it will go over well.... Maybe a Pelini head-butt, followed by Hoke sitting on him....

He wants to raise the prestige level of the B1G, across the board, so that a 1-loss B1G team doesn't get looked at as well, they were only playing in the B1G. It's good for all of us. Who does he think he is? One of the best recruiters in the country. And that's pride getting in the way of competitive spirit if other coaches aren't receptive to what he has to say. Bashing Urban may give us fans a small measure of comfort but it's probably better to deal in reality.

The most industrious coaches will look at what he's doing and learn from his best qualities while avoiding his worst. The second-rate coaches will grumble and grumble and get offended and purse their lips and carry on.

Leave it to the coaches to take what they want from his best qualities. Or let them seek him out. That is fine that he wants the best for this conference (we all do), but even if these were his intentions at the coaches meetings, he should have kept it out of the public. You're kidding yourself if you think Bo will respond, and welcome Urban's criticism with open arms. These guys are prideful, and they all think they know what they doing....

Do I think Urban is a better coach than Bo? More accomplished sure, better? No. Do I think he is a better recruiter? Maybe, but from the start at Florida he had access to better talent, and now he has the reputation to help him. I personally like Bo's style of recruiting; in your face, honest, and a dose of family values....

• Fire 1

Leave it to the coaches to take what they want from his best qualities. Or let them seek him out. That is fine that he wants the best for this conference (we all do), but even if these were his intentions at the coaches meetings, he should have kept it out of the public. You're kidding yourself if you think Bo will respond, and welcome Urban's criticism with open arms. These guys are prideful, and they all think they know what they doing....

Do I think Urban is a better coach than Bo? More accomplished sure, better? No. Do I think he is a better recruiter? Maybe, but from the start at Florida he had access to better talent, and now he has the reputation to help him. I personally like Bo's style of recruiting; in your face, honest, and a dose of family values....

After a MNC, Urban had a #11 class at Florida. After a 10-4 season full of big losses, Bo had a #17 class at Nebraska. Who is the more impressive recruiter?

After a MNC, Urban had a #11 class at Florida. After a 10-4 season full of big losses, Bo had a #17 class at Nebraska. Who is the more impressive recruiter?

I'm not going to say Bo is a better recruiter, or coach. However, I will say that I like his approach more, and I believe him to be a better person. Angry faces, and sideline yelling aside; I think it is safe to say that Bo is a really, really good person....

2013 Schedule

Wyoming (4-8)

Southern Miss (0-12)

UCLA (9-5)

South Dakota State (---)

BYE

Illinois (2-10)

@ Purdue (6-7)

BYE

@ Minnesota (6-7)

Northwestern (10-3)

@ Michigan (8-5)

Michigan State (7-6)

@ Penn State (8-4)

Iowa (4-8)

I think we can all agree that there's no reason we can't make it back to Indy next year, but as far as the National Championship, I don't think so. That schedule is very soft without Wisconsin or Ohio State. Granted, we'd probably play tOSU in the B1G Championship game, but the point is that we only play 5 teams in the regular season that had winning records last season. That number probably won't be the same this next season, but it's a good measuring stick for the level of competition we're going up against.

I can see us losing to UCLA again.

I can see Northwestern coming into Lincoln and beating us again.

I can see us going up to the Big House and getting whipped again.

I can see us going down to the wire with Sparty and Penn St. again.

I can also see us going undefeated.

I would love for us to meet up Urban Meyer and tOSU in the B1G Championship. It would be nice to avenge that beating we took in Columbus, it would just be nice to beat Urban Meyer on a big stage, but it would be the best for Bo to finally get that trophy he's been seeking.

The National Title is probably out of the question even if we ran the table. The SEC/ESPN combo is too strong and our schedule is too soft for that to happen unfortunately.

Pride can be a downfall. Consider our fanbase's pride. These attempts at downplaying Urban's (considerable) successes wouldn't be happening if people didn't want to or feel a blow to team pride for not doing it. End of the day, the world we all live in is still that of reality. It's not like our recruiting is really bad either. It's shown a lot of improvement. The team is set up for 2013 run. I think we are going to be able to win a B1G title this year, and we should expect no less.

Frankly if Bo or any other coach (and I suspect this message is mostly intended for the really lagging football programs in the B1G) rebuffs Urban out of some hurt feelings, that's on them.

Unfortunately, you're cherry-picking data because doing otherwise just wouldn't look as good.

Rivals skews rankings for larger classes and Nebraska's 2013 #17 class stands at 25 - with five 4-stars. Urban's 2009 #11 class at Florida only had 16 commits - three 5-stars and nine 4-stars. He finished #2, #1, and #3 in 2006-2008 and the 2010 class (he resigned following the bowl game) ranked #2 again.

I read in an article about Saban somewhere about the mutual respect shared with Tom Osborne, and how Osborne had Saban speak to Husker coaches across sports about recruiting. I read on Rivals that there was a small local blurb indicating Osborne had previously arranged for a brain-picking meeting with Urban for Bo. Can we get over this "Blah blah SEC he's not that good and we don't want to be like him ANYWAY" spiel?

• Fire 3

Things are pretty much over when you refuse to learn.

I taught my kids(athletes) that you can learn from anyone, never close your mind to anything that can help you. Urban has talents, and I think maybe made out to be more of jerk than he really is. If I were Bo I would be setting in the first row, listening to what he has to say and using what works for me. Tuning out any information, good or bad is never a good idea.

He has a better class this year, and my guess better than Bo other years they were working against each other. Bo is a beginner head coach, Urban has been around awhile. Results truly are not comparative. Learn when you can.