Pope Benedict XVI to Resign

The thing that keeps coming to me as I read this thread is John 8:7 Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. It wouls appear there are many who do not heed or believe in this advice. Plenty seem more than willing to toss that rock without hesitation.

Can I ask, what does that passage mean to you?

Am I not allowed to ask for prosecution of pedophiles because I've done some lesser "sins" in my life too?

But, yes...I have no problem refusing to follow or believe in that advice, however poetic it may seem out of context.

You can ask anything you like. If the meaning of that verse is not self explanatory, I can't help you out with the meaning.

I don't have any problem whatsoever with those (me included) who want pedophiles or their enablers brought to justice and those who want these senseless acts stopped. However, I do have a slight problem with those who go out of their way to repeatedly bash most anything related to Catholicism, Christianity, or religion in general. If that happens to describe you or others, so be it.

I can appreciate that some may not subscribe to the same beliefs as myself, but surely even you can recognize that many of the teachings and parables of the Bible have some value. Or, maybe not.

sd'sker- I was not particularly referring to you. And I don't have any qualms with those who would question the actions of the institution or even specific people within the church. But there is no denying there is a list of usual suspects lined up here to cast aspertions on almost anything related to the Catholic religion. It simply appears to me that a few almost enjoy any opportunity that presents itself. I was merely commenting on that perceived situation. I hardly think it makes me a hypocrite to call for the death (one time) of the disturbed Dorner. BTW, not that you necessarily care what I think but I feel you do a pretty good job of fairly and pointedly criticizing specific persons and the institution of the church without unnecessarily bluring the line between those issues and Catholicism in general. Some others could follow your example and cause less anguish as a result. Sorry, but as a Catholic, it gets real old real quick when a select few just lie in wait for the next opportunity.

fair enough. i am sure it is tough being a catholic as the catholic church is always the easiest target and no one seems to care when it is the catholic church being mocked. however, that is because the catholic church is a large, influential entity; precisely why i feel it is necessary to criticize it and hold it to a higher standard. conversely, this is why you never see me criticize the unitarian church.

i will say that i did take your post personally and it is most likely because i feel that i am one of the tougher critics of the catholic church on the board and could probably be a little more judicious in my criticisms.

frankly, i do not think you are a hypocrite, i just got hot and bothered and wanted to prove a point. that is a good idiom, but we are all guilty of casting stones and being judgmental. for what it is worth, i do not know much about the dorner situation, but from what i see i do not think you are necessarily wrong. (although that guy has to be pretty sick in the head, i would assume).

finally, believe it or not, i *do* care what you think.

The Catholic Church gets targeted over the other denominations simply by being the largest and most vocal. Which comes from being the largest and most well funded, (claiming 1 billion members, who are all supposed to tithe, 1/7 of the world pop, and 1/10 of all that income is a mountain of cash) When you climb up on a mountaintop and shout about how much you know better than everyone else, expect some backlash when it is proven otherwise (again, and again and again...) The organization has spent several centuries as the most corrupt institution on the face of the planet, and I fail to see how it would all have gotten clean. Not much different than expecting me to think that the mafia is all legit business.

• Fire 2

interesting take:

What's Missing From the Conversation on Benedict's Resignation

I think he then decided that he could not offer that to the Church himself or that he wasn't in fact the ideal person for the job. And as a truly benevolent shepherd, he decided to make way for the right person to be found to be the successor of Peter, during the beginning stages of this new chapter for the Church.

The timing he chose is greatly important. If he had waited until pundits, even only a few, would call for his abdication it would be too late. Then the political undertones would diminish and pollute the sincerity and selflessness of the decision. The way he decided to do it allowed Benedict to be ahead of the speculators and politicians among us. Dare I say he outsmarted them?

Leaders take note: Pope Benedict XVI provides a rare but profound example of humility in action. True leaders put their cause before their power and self-interest. Far from a failure or weakness, this may be the most shining moment of Benedict's papacy, and what will turn out to be a historically brilliant move.

I guess I need to correct a false belief about the Catholic church that I have now seen posted on this board more than a few times. It may just be that my local parish, and a few others nearby that we also frequent but, tithing is not a big thing in the Catholic church. It was suggested and encouraged in the Lutheran church I grew up in but in about twenty years I don't think I have heard the word tithe or the 10% figure mentioned in my church. Sure they encourage us to give what we can and even to the point of sacrifice but anybody that thinks a large majority of Catholics are tithing ten percent would be deluding themselves.

But there is no denying there is a list of usual suspects lined up here to cast aspertions on almost anything related to the Catholic religion.

No. Your religion is not pedophilia. Your religion is not rape.

Stop trying to equate the actions of the Catholic Church with your religion.

Unfortunately, most Catholics have done that. People outside the church are ones that have a problem with that.

• Fire 1

But there is no denying there is a list of usual suspects lined up here to cast aspertions on almost anything related to the Catholic religion.

Unfortunately, most Catholics have done that. People outside the church are ones that have a problem with that.

What?

• Fire 2

Well isn't that precious? You.....trying to expain that to me? Trust me, I fully understand the difference. Maybe if YOU were more clear and concise in your posts about this issue and the Catholic religion in general, others would not mistake (if it is a mistake?) much of what you say as blurring the line between the two. I understand that you have little use for the Catholic religion and I'm ok with that. But please try to refrain from the posts that don't meaningfully differentiate between the institution and those who practice the religion. There would be a whole lot ass ache in this forum with some simple adjustments on your part. Or, you can continue to post the bombastic statements and then continue to act incredulous when people misconstrue them. Just because you rely on subsequent or prior posts to claim that your statement was actually about the institution and not the religion does not mean that others will ignore individual posts that, on face value, do not make it abundantly clear. Capeesh?

Well isn't that precious? You.....trying to expain that to me? Trust me, I fully understand the difference. Maybe if YOU were more clear and concise in your posts about this issue and the Catholic religion in general, others would not mistake (if it is a mistake?) much of what you say as blurring the line between the two. I understand that you have little use for the Catholic religion and I'm ok with that. But please try to refrain from the posts that don't meaningfully differentiate between the institution and those who practice the religion. There would be a whole lot ass ache in this forum with some simple adjustments on your part. Or, you can continue to post the bombastic statements and then continue to act incredulous when people misconstrue them. Just because you rely on subsequent or prior posts to claim that your statement was actually about the institution and not the religion does not mean that others will ignore individual posts that, on face value, do not make it abundantly clear. Capeesh?

:ohnoes

But please try to refrain from the posts that don't meaningfully differentiate between the institution and those who practice the religion.

Compare that to the quoted line from you at 11:32. Funny stuff. I suppose some would rather dispense advice rather than heeding it themselves.

I guess I need to correct a false belief about the Catholic church that I have now seen posted on this board more than a few times. It may just be that my local parish, and a few others nearby that we also frequent but, tithing is not a big thing in the Catholic church. It was suggested and encouraged in the Lutheran church I grew up in but in about twenty years I don't think I have heard the word tithe or the 10% figure mentioned in my church. Sure they encourage us to give what we can and even to the point of sacrifice but anybody that thinks a large majority of Catholics are tithing ten percent would be deluding themselves.

Former coworker of mine left the church because of the hassles she was getting about not giving enough. Maybe she was going somewhere else than where you attend, but it does happen.

Former coworker of mine left the church because of the hassles she was getting about not giving enough. Maybe she was going somewhere else than where you attend, but it does happen.

I don't doubt that some individual parishes probably press the giving issue more than others. I think the same could be said about virtually any church, religion, group, or club. The only ones that I know that really, consistently, push the tithing thing are Mormons (possibly some of the fundementalists or evangelicals too). Sometimes it can get annoying when the annual "stewardship" time comes around and they do ask for a commitment of time, talent, and/or treasure. Sometimes it's very low key and other times it comes with some pressure and guilt. I have found the biggest difference is due to differences in who the pastor/head priest happens to be at the time. I understand that they need money to function, just like any business or family, and charitable giving is one of the few options they have to generate revenue. But it can be a turn off if they start laying on too much pressure or too much guilt.

There is always more to those stories. How would they know? You can drop a blank envelope into any collection basket in every parish I've been to.

I have been an active member of probably 3 different parishes in 3 different diocese. I have never been hounded for money. In fact, about the only time it is mentioned is if there is a special collection being taken up for a project or the annual diocesan appeal.

I remember when I was growing up (I was raised Lutheran, so this isn't a knock on the Catholic church), our pastor, 3 times that I can remember, got a "calling" to another church. Well, the church elders would get all fussed, give an impassioned plea for the congregation to donate more money so we could afford to pay him more. Which everyone did, and then after the Pastor got his offer for a raise... God magically told him to stay. Always loved that one.

I also distinctly remember, shortly after he got his raise one time, his sermon was on donations to the church. When we didn't give enough money, he said, we were "giving God the finger". His words, not mine. The moments you remember from hours spent in a church..

• Fire 1