So why is it so hard to believe God is.....

My room in the school sits right next to the science room. During my prep period one day, I heard the science teacher explaining to the class "how matter was created" and "how the earth was created." His explanation was something along the lines of "There were the gobs of ooze bouncing around so fast that BOOM! It created the earth."

Explain to me how exactly that is science based....

I realize that people who try to think scientifically usually immediately expel the notion of any higher power at work, but it's pretty laughable how things such as creation are taught in schools.

So your school's science teacher doesn't know about solar nebulae? Doesn't know about gravitational interaction of large and small bodies? Doesn't know about accretion? Doesn't know about nuclear fusion/fission?

That's a tremendously weak school, if true. I'd be embarrassed to work there.

If my teacher is describing the "building blocks of the universe" as "gobs of ooze", I want my f*ckin' money back...

I would laugh him out of the room, or shut him up/shut him down like the "professor" in HuskerShark's email forward illustration. Off the top of my head I can describe how the solar system was formed better than that. I could have given a better explanation than that as a high school freshman. If a teacher really said that to his students in a High School as the ONLY explanation of how the solar system formed, he/she should be fired immediately.

My room in the school sits right next to the science room. During my prep period one day, I heard the science teacher explaining to the class "how matter was created" and "how the earth was created." His explanation was something along the lines of "There were the gobs of ooze bouncing around so fast that BOOM! It created the earth."

Explain to me how exactly that is science based....

I realize that people who try to think scientifically usually immediately expel the notion of any higher power at work, but it's pretty laughable how things such as creation are taught in schools.

So your school's science teacher doesn't know about solar nebulae? Doesn't know about gravitational interaction of large and small bodies? Doesn't know about accretion? Doesn't know about nuclear fusion/fission?

That's a tremendously weak school, if true. I'd be embarrassed to work there.

If my teacher is describing the "building blocks of the universe" as "gobs of ooze", I want my f*ckin' money back...

I would laugh him out of the room, or shut him up/shut him down like the "professor" in HuskerShark's email forward illustration. Off the top of my head I can describe how the solar system was formed better than that. I could have given a better explanation than that as a high school freshman. If a teacher really said that to his students in a High School as the ONLY explanation of how the solar system formed, he/she should be fired immediately.

I'd have to raise my hand, asked to be excused due to the fact that I have a teacher that doesn't know his ass from "gobs of ooze", then send myself to the principals office, and complain that you're screwing my future by letting this guy teach science...

Regardless of what theory you are teaching, only one of them can possibly explain the development of matter from nothing.

I'll give you guys a hint: It's not any of the theories that you guys are throwing out.

Really? Can you give me a critique of string theory, and how/why it doesn't explain the development of matter from nothing?

I'm all ears. Go.

EDIT - since clearly you haven't done the research on this subject, but believe what you want to believe with zero evidence, here's some suggested reading. It's fascinating and pretty easy to understand:

The Elegant Universe - Brian Greene

A Brief History of Time/The Universe in a Nutshell - Stephen Hawking

Note - for fun, when I lived in California I audited a lecture at Stanford by professor Greene. Absolutely fascinating stuff, and easily understood by a layman like me.

knapp, you remind me of a gossipy high school girl. Whenever you feel threatened, your first defense is to resort to cheap put-downs and snobby insults. I've never met a more pretentious, holier-than-thou person in my life.

But it's ok to berate some one who doesn't share your beliefs...

a wise man once said, "check yourself, before you wreck yourself"...

knapp, you remind me of a gossipy high school girl. Whenever you feel threatened, your first defense is to resort to cheap put-downs and snobby insults. I've never met a more pretentious, holier-than-thou person in my life.

It's better to come out and say it rather than making snide remarks about others with the intention of demeaning them.

There's a little thing called humility that might serve both of you well.

It's better to come out and say it rather than making snide remarks about others with the intention of demeaning them.

you should heed your own words...

Regardless of what theory you are teaching, only one of them can possibly explain the development of matter from nothing.

I'll give you guys a hint: It's not any of the theories that you guys are throwing out.

Really? Can you give me a critique of string theory, and how/why it doesn't explain the development of matter from nothing?

I'm all ears. Go.

EDIT - since clearly you haven't done the research on this subject, but believe what you want to believe with zero evidence, here's some suggested reading. It's fascinating and pretty easy to understand:

Note - for fun, when I lived in California I audited a lecture at Stanford by professor Greene. Absolutely fascinating stuff, and easily understood by a layman like me.

Sorry, it took awhile to reply. Had to quit laughing and all. It seemed as if you might be attempting to pass off a THEORY as fact. But then I thought "wait, this guy doesn't believe in theories, only demonstrable facts", then I got confused. Isn't the existence of God an unproven theory? Funny how some people pick and choose which unproven theories are worthy while they treat others like there are hard facts disproving them. Did I miss it somewhere? Where are those facts proving God doesn't exist? I know, I know- you don't like that question so now it is time to demand proof that the unprovable exists. I got the drill.

• Fire 1

Sorry, it took awhile to reply. Had to quit laughing and all. It seemed as if you might be attempting to pass off a THEORY as fact. But then I thought "wait, this guy doesn't believe in theories, only demonstrable facts", then I got confused. Isn't the existence of God an unproven theory? Funny how some people pick and choose which unproven theories are worthy while they treat others like there are hard facts disproving them. Did I miss it somewhere? Where are those facts proving God doesn't exist? I know, I know- you don't like that question so now it is time to demand proof that the unprovable exists. I got the drill.

I'm glad you found that so funny. Have you read about String Theory? Have you studied how the universe was formed? Have you read any other religious texts than the Bible?

Also, since you're so interested in facts and all, can you show me where I said these theories were facts? Where did I use the word fact? Where did I say they were anything other than theories?

Did I miss that somewhere, or were you too busy laughing to notice?

Will your cornered market on humility allow you to respond to this post? Have you read either of these books? Or anything similar?

I'm all ears. Go.

first, gravity is a theory.

second, why did stories in the bible just stop? where did the prophets and spokesmen for god go?

third, you have to ask yourself, if you were born somewhere else, would you still be a christian? how convenient that you were born in a nation that overwhelmingly believes in the one true god? if you were born in a muslim nation, would you still have discovered and converted to christianity? what does that say about you, them, and your beliefs? seeing how most people just believe what their parents believe, it seems rather arrogant to believe your religion is more right than someone else who is just doing the same thing. and is seems extremely narrow minded not to explore alternatives.

just a few thoughts.