Sequester

So do I have this right,

Buffoons in DC couple of years back, cut a deal to spend a few trillion dollars the gov't doesn't have, so they agree to cut spending later, and agree to do the cuts AFTER the '12 election. If cuts aren't made then automatic cuts kick in.

So they did nothing about cuts til the last minute, created big scary names for the self created crisis, first "fiscal cliff", then delayed it a couple months and called it a "sequester". Then they pick the most crucial program/expenditure, have a press conference trying to scare the hell out of everybody that is what will be cut. Blame the other guy for "ignoring" the crisis, do nothing, and I predict, extend it again.

My question: In my business experience, when you hand a manager a budget cut he/she will cry and scream about all the crucial things that won't get done, but when implementing the cuts will prioritize what is important and will cut in discresionary areas. So what is wrong with that? Putting aside the fear mongering, why not just let the cuts kick in?

Because the cuts effect both sides donor bases and special interests. Money in politics is the problem. I wonder how hard it would be to get a grass roots effort to amend the constitution banning, or at least radically limiting, political donations, and Super PACs and all that crap. If the congressmen would actually be there for the ideals and not to get rich we would be in much better shape.

• Fire 1

The current crop of crooked, incompetent politicians are no worse than those from the past 50 years. It's just that all the good budget tricks have been used up. There's a finite supply of smoke and mirrors, you know.

The current crop of crooked, incompetent politicians are no worse than those from the past 50 years. It's just that all the good budget tricks have been used up. There's a finite supply of smoke and mirrors, you know.

True, and we just hear more about them as we have so many more ways of keeping in the know than waiting for what the paper would choose to report over most of history.

The dems are spinning this as though the world will stop revolving on March 1. Not true. The vast majority (all) Americans not employed by the Fed Gov will not even know it happened. Fed employees in critical areas are currently being advised they will be furloughed 2 days per month until Sept 30 or the issue is resolved. Will it hurt for those effected? Absolutely. Will all BP Agents be furloughed the same day? Ridiculous. Sadly the dems and media are pumping this crap out like gospel and Americans believe it. Pure BS. The border is going to be wide open? really? Military combat ineffective? Really?

The issue I have is that this admn wants to continue to play the blame game instead of owning the 16 trillion dollar debt. We still have yet to have a Senate presented budget since 2009. They continue to holler for taxing the rich while refusing to concede on their sacred cows of social programs. IMO, repubs have conceded enough. Make the dems wear this dress they have sewn.

For those on this board being effected, best of luck. Sad that budget BS again comes on the back of workers as opposed to cutting the giveaway programs.

• Fire 3

The issue I have is that this admn wants to continue to play the blame game instead of owning the 16 trillion dollar debt.

Two words in between. Yikes.

IMO, repubs have conceded enough.

:lol:

Make the dems wear this dress they have sewn.

Meh. It'll hurt the economy. That said, it's pretty brazen for politicians who voted for it to call it Obama's sequester.

I suspect the public will figure out who is responsible for the failure to compromise. In fact . . . if I'm reading the (almost certainly skewed!) polls correctly they already have. :)

• Fire 1

These budget cuts might f*ck me out of a job so, thanks alot a$$hole$...

Is this aimed at me?

no, it's aimed at the f*cktards in DC, that by not being able to get this worked out, hosing me out of a job that could make me 10k more a year, have better benefits, and actual normal human hours, instead of living like a goddamn vampire like I have for the past 5 and a half years...

The dems are spinning this as though the world will stop revolving on March 1. Not true. The vast majority (all) Americans not employed by the Fed Gov will not even know it happened. Fed employees in critical areas are currently being advised they will be furloughed 2 days per month until Sept 30 or the issue is resolved. Will it hurt for those effected? Absolutely. Will all BP Agents be furloughed the same day? Ridiculous. Sadly the dems and media are pumping this crap out like gospel and Americans believe it. Pure BS. The border is going to be wide open? really? Military combat ineffective? Really?

The issue I have is that this admn wants to continue to play the blame game instead of owning the 16 trillion dollar debt. We still have yet to have a Senate presented budget since 2009. They continue to holler for taxing the rich while refusing to concede on their sacred cows of social programs. IMO, repubs have conceded enough. Make the dems wear this dress they have sewn.

For those on this board being effected, best of luck. Sad that budget BS again comes on the back of workers as opposed to cutting the giveaway programs.

thanksobama.gif

• Fire 5

Is this aimed at me?

no, it's aimed at the f*cktards in DC, that by not being able to get this worked out, hosing me out of a job that could make me 10k more a year, have better benefits, and actual normal human hours, instead of living like a goddamn vampire like I have for the past 5 and a half years...

Thanks. After re-reading didn't think so.

I agree with your sentiments. I have some skin in this game, and am planning to take a hit as well. This on top of the SS issue (not blaming anyone or party) and this is shaping up to be leaner year than I had anticipated. It sucks for sure. They (both sides) are killing the economy (not just this issue), but because they don't give 2 shi$$ about the people who actually employee them (the voters). I wish we could hold recall elections and fire them all. All sides.

Again, hopefully things will work out. I sadly doubt it though.

• Fire 1

Is this aimed at me?

Thanks. After re-reading didn't think so.

I agree with your sentiments. I have some skin in this game, and am planning to take a hit as well. This on top of the SS issue (not blaming anyone or party) and this is shaping up to be leaner year than I had anticipated. It sucks for sure. They (both sides) are killing the economy (not just this issue), but because they don't give 2 shi$$ about the people who actually employee them (the voters). I wish we could hold recall elections and fire them all. All sides.

Again, hopefully things will work out. I sadly doubt it though.

thanks, me too...

The job I'm hoping for would make a huge difference on the home front...

The dems are spinning this as though the world will stop revolving on March 1. Not true. The vast majority (all) Americans not employed by the Fed Gov will not even know it happened. Fed employees in critical areas are currently being advised they will be furloughed 2 days per month until Sept 30 or the issue is resolved. Will it hurt for those effected? Absolutely. Will all BP Agents be furloughed the same day? Ridiculous. Sadly the dems and media are pumping this crap out like gospel and Americans believe it. Pure BS. The border is going to be wide open? really? Military combat ineffective? Really? The issue I have is that this admn wants to continue to play the blame game instead of owning the 16 trillion dollar debt. We still have yet to have a Senate presented budget since 2009. They continue to holler for taxing the rich while refusing to concede on their sacred cows of social programs. IMO, repubs have conceded enough. Make the dems wear this dress they have sewn. For those on this board being effected, best of luck. Sad that budget BS again comes on the back of workers as opposed to cutting the giveaway programs.

I don't know why this Administration needs to take the brunt of this since the fiscal debacle started when President Bush passed programs to cut taxes by 1.2 billion in 2001. In my opinion the Repubs need to get off thier high horse and fix this. Also, on AFN this morning 100 detained immigrants had to be let loose due to no Federal Funding to send them back. So yes the borders are open. USS HARRY S TRUMAN did not deploy due to no funding. The Joint Chief signed off a 1.0 Carrier presence in fifth fleet(Iraq and Afghanistan) Less aerial support for troops on ground. So to try and question combat readiness won't be affected is ridiculous. Combat effectiveness and readiness will be affected. Troops are not going to to get proper training before deployments. The Army has to cut back on troops. If the Federal Government does this all the National Parks may not open on time(that's your recreation). State funding gets cut out of the Federal budget. I see this affecting a wider range than most people even realize. The GOP coming out and saying this won't be as bad as it is being spun seems to be a big smoke blanket to me to make people feel better and not worry as much. So we will see what happens.

• Fire 2