Pelini needs to put his mark on defense again

The stuff Wisky was doing wasn't THAT flukey. A jet sweep is a jet sweep, whatever formation they were in. Several times, they could only have 3 eligible receivers, and a RB taking the snap. Gee, Pelini, you think they're gonna run? We should've went bump and run on the TE's, and send the other 9 from the outside in. Instead we sit and read, and then take horrible angles. Same with their DT's - QB sneak for 5 or more yards over and over until they line up over the ball, and we take that element away from them. I agree we weren't emotionally in it, though - we looked pretty flat for a lot of the game.

One thing you're forgetting is that Wisky only did that stand up DT/LB motion thing when it was an obvious passing situation. It was never done on first down until the game was in hand.

There has been a lot of stock put into Pelini and his defensive mind. I think Coach Ekeler said it best when he talked about how the transition to a new conference and different style of play.

I have confidence that once we get some better talent suited for this style of play, which I think we have, and get them some experience we'll see what we've expected from Pelini

In the past two seasons, NU gave up more than 40 points in five games, including 70 to Wisconsin in last year’s Big Ten championship game.

This is really discouraging. Especially the Wisconsin CCG debacle last year. How can we beat a team, and then two months later get blown out by that same team on a neutral field? It was a Cosgrovian effort. It really was. :facepalm:

If Bo has another winning season with one or two embarrassing blowouts next fall, it's safe to say he has established a pattern, and it will be hard to believe that he is the defensive guru he professes to be. He won't get fired, but a lot of fans will hope he seeks employment elsewhere. Let's hope we get a solid effort this year.

I agree we won't fire Bo but if he can't improve or win the conference there is no way you can give him any more money just extend his contract unless you are Iowa. ;)

I've been on the fence with Bo since his hire. Initially I watched him coach up the defense while Watson handled the O. The D was clicking pretty good. Next I see Bo switch his attention to offense, now this is clicking, not so much due to his expertise, as his ablility to get the right coach in the position. I also recall the head hunters out when he promoted Beck (one of his so called yes men) to OC was a bad hire, we needed someone with experience. It seems to have worked out ok. Now, I have an opportunity to watch him mold this defense, loaded with young talent that's fast. Bo once again has his choice of DC and now he gets to work first hand to develop this D into one that's more like we expect from him. Ahhhh, to think, an offense that's cooking and a defense that's steaming, can't wait!!!! As you can tell by my comments, I'm no longer on the fence, I witnessed Coach Osborne go through similar pressures, fans wanting his head. Bo is the right choice. Given the time, Bo will bring home the hardware on a consistant basis, or be competitively playing for them in heart stopping contest. GBR

I've been on the fence with Bo since his hire. Initially I watched him coach up the defense while Watson handled the O. The D was clicking pretty good. Next I see Bo switch his attention to offense, now this is clicking, not so much due to his expertise, as his ablility to get the right coach in the position. I also recall the head hunters out when he promoted Beck (one of his so called yes men) to OC was a bad hire, we needed someone with experience. It seems to have worked out ok. Now, I have an opportunity to watch him mold this defense, loaded with young talent that's fast. Bo once again has his choice of DC and now he gets to work first hand to develop this D into one that's more like we expect from him. Ahhhh, to think, an offense that's cooking and a defense that's steaming, can't wait!!!! As you can tell by my comments, I'm no longer on the fence, I witnessed Coach Osborne go through similar pressures, fans wanting his head. Bo is the right choice. Given the time, Bo will bring home the hardware on a consistant basis, or be playing for them in heart stopping contest. GBR

This was my take going into last season, throughout last season's defensive struggles, and now this offeseason. He came and took over a sh**ty defense (twice-dont forget '03) and turned it around. Then he put focus to an inept offense and has turned it around. There should be NO doubt whatsoever that he cant do it again with the defense, especially since he's putting players and coaches in place that are of his choice.

I am in 100% agreement with you. Excellent point.

There's no way in hell the Wisconsin was not prepping for the ccg game 3 weeks in advance when they knew they were in it. Not trying to spin it into an excuse but it's pretty obvious to me anyway that they were pointing to that game for a while.

Also rematches are tough mentally for the team that wins the first. You have a tendancy to let of the gas a tad while youre opponent is comin in with their hair on fire. Plus, we had that 6 week marathon of heartstoppers that once we got through it and back to the title game, it seemed like we let out a giant exhale but couldtn start breathing again. It was pretty much a perfect storm that reared it's ugly head in the form of a sick-to-my-stomach feeling the first time that Wisconsin freshman went weaving down the field for a 50+ yard score on the 4th or 5th play of the game.

I couldn't agree more with you. I'd even go further and say they had roughly a month of prep time for the CCG, as I never thought Indiana ever had a chance against them...and they had a bye the week before. That's plenty of time to dissect each and every vulnerability we had. They counted on the lack of speed and discipline(this especially) from our defense to be a factor along with more than usual defensive pressure from their end banking on confusing TM, and they were right. Throw in that they had nothing to lose and Bilema knew he was out the door. Not saying we would have won, but the that game was greatly skewed in their favor. Not many teams get essentially that much time with "live" scrimmages every week in between. For me, after taking a step back, there were other losses that bothered me more.

There's no way in hell the Wisconsin was not prepping for the ccg game 3 weeks in advance when they knew they were in it. Not trying to spin it into an excuse but it's pretty obvious to me anyway that they were pointing to that game for a while.

Also rematches are tough mentally for the team that wins the first. You have a tendancy to let of the gas a tad while youre opponent is comin in with their hair on fire. Plus, we had that 6 week marathon of heartstoppers that once we got through it and back to the title game, it seemed like we let out a giant exhale but couldtn start breathing again. It was pretty much a perfect storm that reared it's ugly head in the form of a sick-to-my-stomach feeling the first time that Wisconsin freshman went weaving down the field for a 50+ yard score on the 4th or 5th play of the game.

I couldn't agree more with you. I'd even go further and say they had roughly a month of prep time for the CCG, as I never thought Indiana ever had a chance against them...and they had a bye the week before. That's plenty of time to dissect each and every vulnerability we had. They counted on the lack of speed and discipline(this especially) from our defense to be a factor along with more than usual defensive pressure from their end banking on confusing TM, and they were right. Throw in that they had nothing to lose and Bilema knew he was out the door. Not saying we would have won, but the that game was greatly skewed in their favor. Not many teams get essentially that much time with "live" scrimmages every week in between. For me, after taking a step back, there were other losses that bothered me more.

I'm tired of hearing this crap that they had a month. They changed their offense and their staff personnel. Yes their starting qb went out and they became more of a running team. Fact is Wisconsin came out ready and we didn't. It's not the first time a Bo Pelini team came out flat.

I'm tired of hearing this crap that they had a month. They changed their offense and their staff personnel. Yes their starting qb went out and they became more of a running team. Fact is Wisconsin came out ready and we didn't. It's not the first time a Bo Pelini team came out flat.

Their offense changed a little but concepts and principles remained the same. Wisconsin's starting QB went out a couple of times that season, O'Brien and Stave, but Wisconsin has always been a running team. Again, I still feel we would have tough go at a win because they were playing well all together. Our defense was slow and beat up and they were banking on those things. I also never said Bo and co didn't get outcoached but they were bringing a knife to a gunfight in more ways than one. At the end of the day, what's done is done.

but its not their fault :sarcasm

Their offense changed a little but concepts and principles remained the same. Wisconsin's starting QB went out a couple of times that season, O'Brien and Stave, but Wisconsin has always been a running team. Again, I still feel we would have tough go at a win because they were playing well all together. Our defense was slow and beat up and they were banking on those things. I also never said Bo and co didn't get outcoached but they were bringing a knife to a gunfight in more ways than one. At the end of the day, what's done is done.

sorry but Bo has had problems winning the games when they matter the most. Besides some trick plays they basically ran all over us. They weren't doing anything special most of the game. They made the plays and once again we didn't.

Duh. That's the WHOLE point. Only difference is, there are some that put substance to their points.

sorry but Bo has had problems winning the games when they matter the most. Besides some trick plays they basically ran all over us. They weren't doing anything special most of the game. They made the plays and once again we didn't.

I agree that Bo has not been very good in big games, but Dec 1st was much different than anything else. UW threw the kitchen sink and the fridge at NU and it worked almost too perfectly. Not a coincidence if you ask me. They knew we had safeties that struggled to make tackles in space, along with LB that weren't consistent at that also, with a small DL with terrible DE play. The way they called that game made it clear to me that they knew they had an exam coming up, with a practice test and ample time to study what was on the test. Their coaches did a masterful job but let's not act like they didn't have any help. If it were me, I'd spend my time on figuring out why the D gave up 653 yards to UCLA and 63 points to Ohio State. Just my 2 cents, but I understand how you feel.

There was a stretch in that game where Wisconsin for multiple possessions in a row to blow the game open ran stuff every single play out of formations that we hadnt seen from anyone all year. Very hard to prepare for, and a huge credit to Bielema.

Absolutely...and you can do that when you have that much time to prepare.