Alonzo Moore

Speaking of, Westerkamp’s redshirt freshman cohort Alonzo Moore apparently also has no worries when the subject comes to vertical leaps.

Sure, junior wide receiver Jamal Turner will tell you, Moore still has a lot to do to pick up the plays.

“But athletically, the guy is crazy athletic," Turner said. "I’ve played basketball with him before and this guy could be on our basketball team, he’s that athletic. He has major ups and loves jump balls. If he can just improve on learning the plays, he’ll play for us. He’ll play with us next year.”

The last sentence of that quote hits on the major theme of this spring for wide receivers coach Rich Fisher.

It’s clear the Husker receivers are loaded at the top with Kenny Bell, Quincy Enunwa and Turner. But “developing the bottom half of the room” is a key mission of the spring for Fisher.

That means bringing along players like Westerkamp, Moore, Tyler Evans and walk-on Sam Burtch. (Taariq Allen and Tyler Wullenwaber, both out with injury for the spring, will also join the battle in the summer.)

All are capable, but there seems a particular interest this spring from fans and media in Westerkamp and Moore, two four-star prospects from the 2012 recruiting class.

Hidden behind the curtain last year as redshirts, the opportunity is there for both to work their way into important roles for this offense sooner than later.

Work remains the key word.

“I’m really excited about both them. I think both of them have a chance,” Fisher said. “We’re a real long ways away from getting them on the field, though.”

Read more: http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/westerkamp-moore-trying-to-add-depth-to-receiver-position/article_6810016b-9662-54bb-886e-edbe1b3dc3bc.html

I hate to be the negative nancy of the bunch this early, but one thing that is a teenie weenie bit concerning to me....

We are loaded at WR. We seem to be loaded at RB. We seem to be loaded at QB for the next few years. When are we going to see these sunpumping articles in regards to the O'line?

I hate to be the negative nancy of the bunch this early, but one thing that is a teenie weenie bit concerning to me....

We are loaded at WR. We seem to be loaded at RB. We seem to be loaded at QB for the next few years. When are we going to see these sunpumping articles in regards to the O'line?

On paper, this is our most experience OL yet, and should be our best. I watched some a couple of old games from 2008, 2009, and we're so much better now, outside of some pass protection (I'm looking at you ARod).

On paper, this is our most experience OL yet, and should be our best. I watched some a couple of old games from 2008, 2009, and we're so much better now, outside of some pass protection (I'm looking at your ARod).

They aren't getting to face a solid DL in practice so it will be very hard to tell until we get into the meat of the schedule.

• Fire 2

Who do you, or anyone else, have as the starting O-line in 2014 (after this season)? That is the reason...

Off the top of my head, I can think of something like:

LT: Finnin

LG: Cotton

C: Condolo

RG: Moudy??

RT: Sterup

They stretch out the OL articles for use when they want to make their quota in the comments section. Need a highly debated column? Go with Barney and the OL. Need to get the fanbase in an uproar? Say Martinez is either a good or bad QB. Those two are used sparingly for desperate times in online viewership. I don't expect many during the spring. They'll save the up for fall. :P

We can be loaded up with all the WR talent we want, but with the lack of pass protection we have had in the last 5 years, they won't see the ball as much as they should. I am excited to see the WR core play this year, but I just hope we have a much more improved OL. Less mental mistakes, better pass protection, better coverage with less untouched DE's getting to Martinez.

On paper, this is our most experience OL yet, and should be our best. I watched some a couple of old games from 2008, 2009, and we're so much better now, outside of some pass protection (I'm looking at you ARod).

OK, I admit I haven't kept up, but didn't we lose a ton of guys off the OL? How is it going to be our most experienced? I mean there's Spencer, but also a lot of new starters, right?

OK, I admit I haven't kept up, but didn't we lose a ton of guys off the OL? How is it going to be our most experienced? I mean there's Spencer, but also a lot of new starters, right?

I was kind of thinking the same thing. But I can certainly see where there is optimism. Year before last we lost Yoshi, Caputo, Tyler Moore, Marcel Jones. But, they were replaced by a lot of young guys (sophomores at the time) like Long, Qvale, Sirles, Pensick, ARod, etc. This year it's those same guys that were in the 2 deep way back then, starting for the second year in a row. If you look at the Georgia depth chart - we're only short Choi. Every other person (minus Thompson) that was in the 2 deep is back. (i know Jackson didn't play - but I think we have the talent to make up for that loss easily)

I'm more concerned about blocking off the edges from our TE's, and unfortunately Barney is over there now...so...

At the beginning of the year, Jackson beat Pensick out at Center by a small margin, and by the end of the year Pensick was too entrenched in the guard rotation that they kept him there. So in reality the OL is only replacing Choi, and there's a number of guys this spring and at least one in the summer to replace him.

I really wouldn't be surprised if we went more 3 WR sets this year to keep Bell, Enunwa, and Turner on the field. Keeping one of our strengths on the field while having our most experienced TE with them.

I read it in the OWH article from yesterday:

Offensive line

The vets: A trio of senior tackles in Jeremiah Sirles, Brent Qvale (right) and Andrew Rodriguez return as well as senior All-Big Ten guard Spencer Long. Also returning is senior center Cole Pensick, who might have been NU's most consistent lineman as a reserve in 2012. Overall, NU returnees have started 78 games, making this Bo Pelini's most experienced unit yet. Junior Jake Cotton is the leading candidate to start at left guard. If he's fully recovered from a knee injury and polishes his technique, he's an all-Big Ten candidate.

http://www.omaha.com...roster-analysis

I'm pretty excited to see what Jake Cotton brings to the table. Remember, there was talk of him starting ahead of Spencer Long before he was injured.

For the first time in a very long time, I'm excited about the offensive line, and concern is at a minimum. May be some depth issues, but the starters are solid.

I'm pretty excited to see what Jake Cotton brings to the table. Remember, there was talk of him starting ahead of Spencer Long before he was injured.

For the first time in a very long time, I'm excited about the offensive line, and concern is at a minimum. May be some depth issues, but the starters are solid.

I never thought I'd see the day under Bo where the defensive line (and the defense as a whole) is a GIANT question mark and most of us are feeling pretty good about the OL.