Watched one of the Spring Practices

mwj98

I don't know if he will have a chance to win the #1 spot, as long as Abdullah is fine, but I do think he will get more carries next year.

That's the great thing about Fall Camp, is the excitement of who is going to start. With the pure talent we have, especially in the RB position, I don't think anyone knows for sure who is going to win it. For all we know, Newby will come in fall camp, understand the offense fully and be much better than Cross and Abdullah. This is going a little far, but you honestly never know, especially with the depth of talent we have. Cross and Abdullah will be a close race, I do think Abdullah (healthy) will win the #1 spot, but its not going to be by a landslide, like iowahusker09 thinks. A faster and shiftier Cross, is only going to benefit us as a program and help push everyone around him to be even better.

Any football fan, even if they knew nothing about nebraska or cross, could tell he is a short yardage guy. In the games he got more than 3 rushes, he avged 2.8 and 1.9 ypc. There is nothing that leads me to believe he would take carries from anyone?

Because he is suppose to break a 15 yard run up the middle, when his only job was suppose to get 1 yard for the first down? Come on dude. I am just giving MY OPINION, that you are COMPLETELY underestimating Cross. 15 lbs makes a SIGNIFICANT change in someones speed and quickness, especially going from 225 to 210, while working on all those things. Sure you can't teach quickness or speed, but you can enhance it. Something even Martinez has said about Cross. But then again, our own player who takes snaps with him must be wrong. In a quote from last week, Martinez states there is no speed difference in snaps with Cross in, over Ameer, and thinks Cross has a chance to take the starting roll. I really wish Martinez wasn't such a liar.

Anyway, I am done with condoning on ruining a perfectly good thread.

I'm not getting into this argument or taking sides, but Cross currently weights 221, which is a little below his target weight of 225. I have no idea where you're getting this 210 from.

I have to agree with el dudorino, As much as I like Cross i dont see him taking Ameer's spot unless he gets injured, then MAYBE he takes it for good but I doubt it. Bo likes to stick with his #1 guy, and unless Ameer gets seriously injured, or Cross is just flat out that much better than Ameer, We can expect to see #8 the started for the next couple years

I was under the impression when you lose 15 pounds, that allows you to gain speed that you didn't previously have. This puts him at around 210-215. Right where Adam Taylor is coming out of high school. Taylor is also bigger and slower than Newby. Your facts again are wrong.

I'm not getting into this argument or taking sides, but Cross currently weights 221, which is a little below his target weight of 225. I have no idea where you're getting this 210 from.

My first quote of me saying weight, I said 210-215. He graduated HS weighing 225, and many reports said he lost 15 lbs. If he is 220, so be it. I got tired of repeating myself, so I typed in 210. Either way, 210-215-220, that doesn't make him slow. Especially if its more muscle mass, which I would assume it would be, from working with Coach Dobson. I think he is going to shock a lot of these doubters next year. He ran a 4.6 @ 225, and he is now 220 and more athletic than he was before.

Anyway, this is my last post on this topic, before its a 15 post pissing contest once again.

I was under the impression when you lose 15 pounds, that allows you to gain speed that you didn't previously have. This puts him at around 210-215. Right where Adam Taylor is coming out of high school. Taylor is also bigger and slower than Newby. Your facts again are wrong.

My first quote of me saying weight, I said 210-215. He graduated HS weighing 225, and many reports said he lost 15 lbs. If he is 220, so be it. I got tired of repeating myself, so I typed in 210. Either way, 210-215-220, that doesn't make him slow. Especially if its more muscle mass, which I would assume it would be, from working with Coach Dobson. I think he is going to shock a lot of these doubters next year. He ran a 4.6 @ 225, and he is now 220 and more athletic than he was before.

Anyway, this is my last post on this topic, before its a 15 post pissing contest once again.

Nope, I wasn't saying you're dumb or trying to get into an argument. I was just trying to provide information because he recently had an interview talking about how he played at 235 last year. And wanted to lose 10 lbs to 225 but ended up at 221. I agree, he will be a primary factor in our back field for the next 3 years. He works too hard not to have a role.

There's no race. Abdullah is the starter.

Abdullah will probably be the #1 if healthy starting the season. But I'm hoping to see more sharing carries with him and Cross next fall. Seems to Ron Brown has a habit of keeping riding on his top guy til he wears him out. We rode Rex too hard in '11, and Ameer too much last year, and both were beat down by the end of those years. Spreading the wear and tear on more bodies throughout the year would make good sense.

There's no race. Abdullah is the starter.

Abdullah will probably be the #1 if healthy starting the season. But I'm hoping to see more sharing carries with him and Cross next fall. Seems to Ron Brown has a habit of keeping riding on his top guy til he wears him out. We rode Rex too hard in '11, and Ameer too much last year, and both were beat down by the end of those years. Spreading the wear and tear on more bodies throughout the year would make good sense.

This is what bugs me....we obviously have the talent at the RB position so use it! We could have 4-5 backs this year that can tote the rock. Abdullah, Cross, Frazier, Taylor, Newby. No reason for us to ride Abdullah like we did last season. If they would have kept Abdullah a bit more fresh last season it most likely would have resulted in more carries for Heard and him still here.

Nope, I wasn't saying you're dumb or trying to get into an argument. I was just trying to provide information because he recently had an interview talking about how he played at 235 last year. And wanted to lose 10 lbs to 225 but ended up at 221. I agree, he will be a primary factor in our back field for the next 3 years. He works too hard not to have a role.

Oh, I know you weren't doing either of those things, but I just didn't want to strike up a whole convo with someone else about this. I never saw that article, so I could have very well be wrong about how much he weighed. I just know what we recruited him at, and what he lost. I put into consideration he probably gained 5 lbs, but leaned out for most of his Fresh season. Your right though, the kids work ethic is amazing. Seems to be the same attitude all of our offense has, now we just wait for it to rub off to the defense :)

This is what bugs me....we obviously have the talent at the RB position so use it! We could have 4-5 backs this year that can tote the rock. Abdullah, Cross, Frazier, Taylor, Newby. No reason for us to ride Abdullah like we did last season. If they would have kept Abdullah a bit more fresh last season it most likely would have resulted in more carries for Heard and him still here.

I don't think the carries Heard had last year, had anything to do with him leaving this year. It was what happened after the season, not before. Switching him positions was a key reason. Heard would have also had more carries if he wasn't dealing with a Hammy issue. There are rumors (and just that rumors, could be or could not be true) that he was close to not being able to play academically. I find it to be a little more favorable, as he had a hard time getting here. If he doesn't transfer to a D1AA school, this would make me believe it was true, and not just a rumor.

Does Ron Brown get to choose who goes in and who goes out to run the ball? I don't think we over worked Ameer at all. There were only 4 games last year, where he had over 20 carries, 2 over 30. Both to Arky St and PSU. Reason we had him rush that many times against PSU, was because the toss was so effective and he was gashing them. I also don't he looked tired at all. The other 9 games, I think we used him effectively and limited. 226 isn't over worked IMO I guess... That's normal when you have another back or two. Now, Le'Veon Bell at 382 rush attempts, that's over worked! Jefferson at Nevada (375) and Monte Ball (356) can be added to that over worked group.

While I understand the points made by all on the Cross discussion here, I'm being a 100% in saying none of know jack sh#t about his current capabilities and potential, and his performance and usage of a year ago dont mean crap right now. Personally? I think those trying to pose the argument that Cross wont be as effective are going to be joyfully wrong. Just from what I've heard. Maybe not if Abdullah didnt get hurt, but with that injury, Cross has a huge HUGE shot at faster development. Seriously, who else on the RB depth chart that is here right now is getting legitimate work?

Just a comment on the bolded part. It's spring ball. They better all be getting "legitimate work".

You got me there. I should have worded that different. Of the running backs that are here and getting work, who besides Cross actually have a shot at being a legitimate contributor?

Well....we have heard a lot about King Frazier. I'm hoping that with Ameer out, he is getting more work with the 1s and 2s.

I hope that one or both of our incoming freshmen (Newby and Taylor) redshirt. I know we will continue to get high quality RBs in future recruiting classes due to the style of our offense, but it would help down the road IMO if we redshirt at least one of those guys, as long as they are not needed this year.

I hope that one or both of our incoming freshmen (Newby and Taylor) redshirt. I know we will continue to get high quality RBs in future recruiting classes due to the style of our offense, but it would help down the road IMO if we redshirt at least one of those guys, as long as they are not needed this year.

Question is which one do you think we should redshirt?

Question is which one do you think we should redshirt?

Whichever one is less game-ready. :dunno