Nebraska Wrestling

Inexcusable decision by Lovett there. I have no idea what he was thinking. I didn't see the CKLV match so I'm not sure if Henson just rode him but damn man if you choose top you basically have to turn him or ride him for the whole 2 minutes otherwise you're going to OT.

No idea why the coaches urged Smith to take the bottom position against Barnett especially since Smith secured the 1st TD. Just dumb! Give your guy a fighting chance.

Bummed about Pinto. He's a live by the sword die by the sword guy and we've seen him put himself into weird situations all year but he's always usually able to muscle out. Didn't work this time and he still almost came back.

I predicted 5 AAs initially so I'm feeling a little smart but man, Nebraska is 2 dumb decisions away from 6 AAs and sitting in 3rd right now. Feels weird.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1

On 3/23/2024 at 11:31 AM, Wistrom Disciple said:

Kind of crazy to be disappointed when we had five All-Americans, but it does feel like the guys fell short of their potential in most cases. Lots of young guys got some good experience this year so the future still looks bright. 

The only ones you could be truly disappointed in were Lovett, Van Dee, and Pinto. Robb could have won one more. 125 was tough! Hardy getting 3rd is great. Taylor placing at 165 is great! Allred ran into the only guy in the round of 12 he didn’t want to. Any of the other 3 draws in R12 he would have placed. The three I mentioned above cost Nebraska a Top 3 performance. 

• Plus1 1
45 minutes ago, SODAKSKERSFAN20 said:

The only ones you could be truly disappointed in were Lovett, Van Dee, and Pinto. Robb could have won one more. 125 was tough! Hardy getting 3rd is great. Taylor placing at 165 is great! Allred ran into the only guy in the round of 12 he didn’t want to. Any of the other 3 draws in R12 he would have placed. The three I mentioned above cost Nebraska a Top 3 performance. 

I'm not sure that I was disappointed at individuals specifically, but more so the team coming out with such a strong start the first day and then getting the reality checks in the quarters. There were some very tough draws so I don't blame anyone in particular. With half the lineup reaching AA status, that's an impressive feat alone. However, pairing that with finishing outside the top 5 is kind of a letdown. Whole lot of progress this year though and should have a great group returning. Hopefully the team can shore up a few spots and make a run at the title next year. 

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, SODAKSKERSFAN20 said:

With you on Lovett and Pinto as disappointments. Hard for me to get there on Van Dee. He was pretty soundly beaten against Orine (Van Dee maybe should've been awarded an escape but it wasn't conclusive). In the consis, I agree that I thought he should've gotten past Wells but he wasn't aggressive enough. Even if he beats Wells though he would've had his hands full with Latona of VT. 

6 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

With you on Lovett and Pinto as disappointments. Hard for me to get there on Van Dee. He was pretty soundly beaten against Orine (Van Dee maybe should've been awarded an escape but it wasn't conclusive). In the consis, I agree that I thought he should've gotten past Wells but he wasn't aggressive enough. Even if he beats Wells though he would've had his hands full with Latona of VT. 

I should have clarified. I actually thought he wrestled tough against Orine. I expected more from him against Wells. The team race was tight for 2nd. My point was I thought those 3 left the most points on the table. Wells won against Latona. Van Dee had looked like he was getting better and better and then just dropped an absolute stinker. 

Lovett not going down in the 3rd will never make sense to me. Nobody can sell me on it. Brooks,  Starocci, etc the best of the best aren’t that naive to pick top in a 0-0 match and it’s your choice. Beyond stupid 

• Plus1 2