Nebraska Wrestling

Big one tomorrow night for the boys. Hosting Michigan at 6pm on BTN. Should be a dynamite atmosphere in what should be a really close dual. Assuming both teams roll out their 'A' lineups we should get Ridge/Gomez at 149 which should be an awesome matchup. Wrestlestat has it as a 16-16 draw but I think both squads with have a couple of changes. If nothing else, for the love of all things I hope Robb beats Lewan at 157. I hate the way Lewan wrestles. 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, MLB 51 said:

We had only lost one match by 1 point until the HWT match. Hutmacher really isn't that good. I knew he would struggle against the ranked HWT's. Absolutely solid showing tonight.

He has not wrestled in 4 years.  Isn't that good is very incorrect. In the month or 2 that he has been back on the mat, he has been improving.

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

He has not wrestled in 4 years.  Isn't that good is very incorrect. In the month or 2 that he has been back on the mat, he has been improving.

Maybe that's a bit harsh on my part. Simply put, he isn't very good because he hasn't wrestled in 4 years and his level of conditioning still isn't where it needs to be. I hate seeing him struggle after the first period. I think his size strength helped him tremendously when he was in high school. I wish he had more practice time before the season started.

1 hour ago, MLB 51 said:

Maybe that's a bit harsh on my part. Simply put, he isn't very good because he hasn't wrestled in 4 years and his level of conditioning still isn't where it needs to be. I hate seeing him struggle after the first period. I think his size strength helped him tremendously when he was in high school. I wish he had more practice time before the season started.

You're right, his conditioning isn't up to where he needs it to knock off Top 20 guys, but it's getting there. I really wonder how good he could have been if he were able to wrestle every offseason. I think it's also important to remember that we're in the top wrestling conference in the country and, until last night, he was holding his own pretty well against conference opponents. 

1 hour ago, MLB 51 said:

I agree in HS he was a bully, a man among boys.  In college, his competition is stronger & quicker.  He is never going to be fast, but needs to learn to be patient.  It really depends on how committed he is.

That was a great dual to watch. Easily the best Nebraska has looked collectively all season long. Yuge test this week going to Happy Valley.

My .02 on Hutmacher, I think this is pretty much what we all expected right? Davison is legit, 4x NQ, 2x AA. To expect Hutmacher to even be competitive against a guy like that I think is wishful thinking. My stretch expectations for him (assuming he actually gets the nod which to me is still a reach) is NCAA qualifier is his ceiling and that would be a tremendous accomplishment. It doesn't matter who goes on Sunday unfortunately because Kerk, the PSU HWT is dismantling dudes. Whoever gets rolled out there is giving up bonus points.

As for Sunday versus Penn State, I just want to see the guys be competitive. Unfortunately, I think we might see a little ducking on both sides. 

• Plus1 2