IRS Believes They Don't Need a Warrant to Search Electronic Communication

IRS attorneys have asserted in internal documents that the Fourth Amendment does not protect email and that a warrant is not needed to plant a GPS location tracker on a car in its owner’s driveway.

In documents obtained from the IRS by the ACLU under the federal Freedom of Information Act and posted on the website Wednesday, the agency’s attorneys adopt an extremely aggressive posture toward the requirements the Fourth Amendment might place on its criminal investigators who want to read email or text messages, or use GPS location tracking.

“The Fourth Amendment does not protect communications held in electronic storage, such as email messages stored on a server, because Internet users do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in such communications,” states a 2009 “Search Warrant Handbook” from the IRS Criminal Tax Division's Office of Chief Counsel.

Washington Times Article

I'm with tschu on this one. Things are changing faster than our laws and constitution can keep. If folks just keep their noses clean then there's nothing to hide.

Really???? Wow....that is a scary thought. Hey....keep your head down, nose clean and don't give the government people any reason to do anything bad to you.

Those comments bring thoughts to my mind from of countries we defeated in the 1940s.

I'm with tschu on this one. Things are changing faster than our laws and constitution can keep. If folks just keep their noses clean then there's nothing to hide.

I'm curious what your thoughts are about the Stop and Frisk law in New York City? It's no different than what you are suggesting. If you aren't doing anything illegal then why should you care if the police come by and pat you down.

Don't agree with this at all. Didn't agree with illegal wire-tapping from the Bush administration either. I view them as kind of the same thing.

Not as timely as it could of been, these things were FB gold a few months ago... But I think this sums it up very well...

When it comes to domestic privacy that's spot on. When it comes to transparency Obama is probably worse.

(I support his policies in a lot of other ares . . . but the above two are definitely sore spots.)

Don't agree with this at all. Didn't agree with illegal wire-tapping from the Bush administration either. I view them as kind of the same thing.

Not as timely as it could of been, these things were FB gold a few months ago... But I think this sums it up very well...

When it comes to domestic privacy that's spot on. When it comes to transparency Obama is probably worse.

(I support his policies in a lot of other ares . . . but the above two are definitely sore spots.)

although he has not dragged us into multiple wars, his foreign policy is pretty status quo, which is to say disappointing.

although he has not dragged us into multiple wars, his foreign policy is pretty status quo, which is to say disappointing.

At least he is ending wars . . . I'm not convinced that Bush/Cheney wouldn't have us in Iran at this point.

looking at a map, it definitely seemed as though they were trying to tighten a noose around iran.