Plano City Council Honors Rex Burkhead

Nexus

Courtesy of Big Red Report:

Rex Burkhead's impact goes far beyond what he accomplished on the field. Plano (TX) Mayor Phil Dyer and the city council recognized Burkhead for his accomplishments as a Nebraska Cornhusker and also his work with pediatric brain cancer patient Jack Hoffman.

The City Council meeting in downtown Plano, Texas was in session was set to honor one of their hometown sons. Rex Burkhead was back in town in time to get some special recognition from the Plano Mayor, Phil Dyer, and the rest of the City Council for Burkhead's work on the field at Nebraska but especially off of it and being recognized as the Uplifting Athletes Rare Disease Champion Award winner.

Continue Reading

• Fire 1

"I have been thinking about it, but I definitely want to stay involved with pediatric brain cancer especially with Team Jack and the Uplifting Athletes chapter at Nebraska. I can help promote things a little more than they can now, but I will definitely be in contact with them. I would like to get a charity or an organization formed bringing those two things together and build something huge."

In the years I've followed NU football we've had a lot of great guys go through the program. Men of great character. And Rex ranks right up there with the best. Maybe even *the* best.

"I have been thinking about it, but I definitely want to stay involved with pediatric brain cancer especially with Team Jack and the Uplifting Athletes chapter at Nebraska. I can help promote things a little more than they can now, but I will definitely be in contact with them. I would like to get a charity or an organization formed bringing those two things together and build something huge."

In the years I've followed NU football we've had a lot of great guys go through the program. Men of great character. And Rex ranks right up there with the best. Maybe even *the* best.

Amen - couldn't say it better.

Man, I would have gone if I didn't get the information about this event less than a day before--my daughter has been wanting to meet him for some time now.

Sad to say, but our NTX Nebraskans Alumni group has kind of fallen down on the job the past few years. Ever since losing Cape Buffalo, really...

...regardless, congrats to Rex--great example of what Nebraska is all about.