Thanksgiving weekend in the Big Ten

With the new divisions being set what is the ideal rivalry weekend to get the best buzz going on in the conference?

I would start with Penn State vs Rutgers on Thanksgiving in the Meadowlands every year. Right after the Macy's parade.

Wisconsin vs Nebraska on black Friday.

The Game(OSU v scUM)

Bucket game(IU vs PU)

Floyd(Minny vs UI)

the Lincoln trophy thing( NU vs UIUC)

and Sparty vs UMD. Terps already hate Sparty for knocking them out of the NCAA tourney a fews years back.

I would be more than fine swapping Wiscy for Iowa on Black Friday. Iowa would probably be happy with it too, as they had to be heavily pressured into a time slot for a national TV audience. The ChickenEyes will never be as good a rival as Wiscy could be. One actually wants to win, they other seems strangely content with missing bowls here and there.

With not all of the (ahem) traditional match-ups protected, will the Husker-Hawkeye matchup even be a possibility?

I think all the traditional matchups are protected. Not technically, but they are by being inner-divisional matchups if I'm not mistaken. I bet if it were checked out, this would be that case, which is why the only supposed "exception" was made to protect Purdue/Indiana.

Also, unfortunately, I'm betting Nebraska/Iowa will remain on black friday just because it's a game that has been givin a name and trophy.

With not all of the (ahem) traditional match-ups protected, will the Husker-Hawkeye matchup even be a possibility?

I think all the traditional matchups are protected. Not technically, but they are by being inner-divisional matchups if I'm not mistaken. I bet if it were checked out, this would be that case, which is why the only supposed "exception" was made to protect Purdue/Indiana.

Also, unfortunately, I'm betting Nebraska/Iowa will remain on black friday just because it's a game that has been givin a name and trophy.

Minnesota and Penn State have a trophy. Neither side really cares

victory_bell.jpg

Minnesota and Penn State have a trophy. Neither side really cares

victory_bell.jpg

I didnt not know that. But also, Penn St joined in '93, so in relation, this is a fairly new "rivalry" and simply does not have the meaning the rest do would be my guess. Of course their could be other ones. I'm basically just speculating on this cuz it seems most of the games are between neighboring states. I dont know that Iowa and Ohio St play a rivalry game for a trophy, if you know what I'm trying to get at here.

With the new divisions being set what is the ideal rivalry weekend to get the best buzz going on in the conference?

I would start with Penn State vs Rutgers on Thanksgiving in the Meadowlands every year. Right after the Macy's parade.

The Game(OSU v scUM)

Bucket game(IU vs PU)

Floyd(Minny vs UI)

and Sparty vs UMD. Terps already hate Sparty for knocking them out of the NCAA tourney a fews years back.

Why would NU play on two consecutive days?

I would be more than fine swapping Wiscy for Iowa on Black Friday. Iowa would probably be happy with it too, as they had to be heavily pressured into a time slot for a national TV audience. The ChickenEyes will never be as good a rival as Wiscy could be. One actually wants to win, they other seems strangely content with missing bowls here and there.

I agree with swapping Wiscy with Iowa and I'd guess MOST fans would be on board as well.

The potential problem is it seems logic often takes a back seat to whimsy when edicts emanate from Dr. Delaney and/or Central Planning.

The Game(OSU v scUM)

Bucket game(IU vs PU)

Floyd(Minny vs UI)

That's something I never understood.

http://www.unl.edu/

University of Nebraska-Lincoln........NU? :dunno:confucius

The Game(OSU v scUM)

Bucket game(IU vs PU)

Floyd(Minny vs UI)

Simply because the don't want to be a prefix. UN does not look or sound good, to say nothing of the fact that right now if you say UN, everyone will think you are talking about the global political body

The Game(OSU v scUM)

Bucket game(IU vs PU)

Floyd(Minny vs UI)

It's a Big 8 conference thing. KU, MU, OU, NU, etc.

None are proper abbreviations.

The Game(OSU v scUM)

Bucket game(IU vs PU)

Floyd(Minny vs UI)

Personally I like N for Nebraska - like we are not monolithic enough already