Great new Husker Football Book coming out soon

What I find interesting is all the talk about the guys having each others backs and being there for one another. The whole "TEAM" menality that they had was just tremendous and everyone has brought it up as one of the reasons they were so good. this book trulely is a great read and look into what it takes to be a champion.

• Fire 1

I'm in the middle of Volume 1, and what stands out to me so far are the anecdotes about Tom Osborne. The tones of the former players who speak of him in the book range between "reverential" and "awestruck", and the book confirms everything we've always believed about Tom Osborne the coach and the man: the rare sports figure whose iconic status was actually earned and deserved, and whose exceptional leadership stemmed from both the genuine caring for his players and the quiet strength he consistently--flawlessly--projected.

• Fire 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks VA Husker Fan! If you could....if EVERYBODY who has the book could... please give the book a rating on Amazon.com, will you? I'd appreciate having all of you guys's opinions and comments and ratings up there on the site. Right now there are a measly 3, but at least they are all 5 star ratings. It looks like I put my mom, my wife and little sister up to it. LOL The more ratings the better.

Thanks so much...keep the comments and reactions coming...I have a few surprises scattered throughout the book.

• Fire 1

Paul,

I'm glad this thread bumped up. I wanted to say thanks for all the work you put into these books.

The interviews are FANTASTIC! I am especially loving the behind the scenes stuff with folks like Mary Wininger, Tom's secretary. Reading that interview, and realizing that EVERY person on staff had an impact is very cool and enlightening. And the team supported the support staff as much as it went the other way. Behind players and coaches there are typists, janitors, maintenance people. Until reading their interviews, I had no idea how much impact every last detail helped those championship teams.

Very well done! I am nearly finished with Volume 1 and will start Volume 2 immediately thereafter. The words from former players are exceptional, as well. It seems like Tom definitely deserved the reputation he had and continues to have.

• Fire 1
  • 3 months later...

I got these books for Christmas and am impressed by the amount of material in them. These books are massive, and from the little that I've been able to peruse so far, each of the million pages (approximately) are filled from top to bottom with fantastic insight. Great job Mr. Koch. Very impressive collectino of info.

I got these books for Christmas and am impressed by the amount of material in them. These books are massive, and from the little that I've been able to peruse so far, each of the million pages (approximately) are filled from top to bottom with fantastic insight. Great job Mr. Koch. Very impressive collectino of info.

It truly is astounding the volume of information this man has put together. It's a heck of a two-volume set.

I bought these for my dad and grandfather for Christmas. They have every other possible thing for Husker memorabilia so this was about what was left. I had no idea that the books would be that full of text. Not sure if they will ever get through them.

Might have been nice to mix in some more photos of the people he was interviewing just to break it up a little.

Pictures would be nice but the book is already huge and chock full of great stories! The nice thing is you can read an interview at a time so even though it's a lot to get through it's not a problem to put down and come back to later.

My only complaint is that at least on the kindle version there are a lot of formatting issues. Words run together, as do paragraphs sometimes, so you will have both the Q and A in the same paragraph. Also I think the conversations could've been edited a bit better. In one interview he asked the person how to pronounce his last name, and is told. That conversation is related verbatim, with no phonetics, so the reader still has no idea at all how to pronounce the name! Either give us some help or just leave that snippet out.

Anyway, it's easy to overlook the editing issues because the interviews are so good. It's more than just a collection of great war stories. Koch asks the right questions to draw focus on what made those teams champions more than just talent, and at the end of each interview draws some conclusions on what is learned. Every interview adds something to the picture, and we see it from every angle--players (from stars to scout teamers), coaches, support staff, even a fan and sportswriter or two.

I highly recommend this book.