Redskins will "never" change name

Thank you guys for proving my point...

There are too many people, that have no direct connection to the situation, are deeming what is offensive, and what isn't. Daniel Snyder is essentially doing the same thing.

It's a term that is widely accepted as derogatory toward Native Americans. You don't have to be a f'ing Native American to know and accept that. You're basically saying that because I'm not black, I don't know that n****r is offensive and shouldn't comment on a team using that as their name. Wow...

Apparently you've not read anything I've posted up to now. My family on the res is more worried about eating and keeping their house warm this winter, than a name of a football team...

your truly

a f'ing Native American

PS - nice job on doing the reverse "Dan Snyder" telling me to be angry about a term that I could care less about

I'm not telling you to be offended by the word. Go ahead and point out where I did that. I simply said it doesn't require being a Native American to understand when a word (redskin in this instance) is considered racist and derogatory. I did NOT say everyone should consider it so. I was responding to your idiotic point about someone not being Native American having no ability to grasp the concept of "redskin" being derogatory. In addition, I've already stated Native Americans have bigger things to worry about, but that does not mean the small things should just be abandoned.

To the other person, I have been to a several reservations a number of times for multiple reasons. But that doesn't make me any more qualified to understand what a racist word is and that it should not be used as an NFL team name than anyone else.

But that is like you seeing me doing something in my yard, that has no effect on you, and you being offended by it, and then trying to stop me from doing it

I've heard older guys on the rez call each other, "you old 'skin". Now is that deragatory? Is that any worse or any better than black guys dropping the N bombs in conversation?

People are too worried about things that don't affect them...

No it's not, because once again, this is a national entity with a derogatory and racist name attached to it. That is the real problem. You're equating a nationally recognized team, participating in one of the biggest sports in the nation, with their name and image plastered all over the country, to what someone does in their backyard. Seriously...wtf? It's almost impossible to even hold a conversation with someone who attempts to bring up ponts like that. That's not a matter of opinion, it's just a complete breakdown of logical thought process. So when you return to cogent thoughts regarding that aspect, I'll be happy to address them once again.

Now, regarding minorities (or specific races in general) using derogatory terms meant for their race toward each other... That has essentially been socially acceptable for a long time. Is it derogatory? Of course it is, and that's a stupid question. Is it worse or better than what African Americans call each other? Nope, it's the same. However, it's generally considered socially acceptable within those minorities. Is that a good or bad thing? That's open for debate.

Ideally, all racist language could be removed from society. But we all know that's not going to happen. And minorities have typically been given the social leeway to "own" a slur against them, and thus use it amongst themselves. But I don't think any racist language should be used in public, even if it's a couple of African Americans calling each other "niggas" with the meaning of "brother" or whatever one might define it as.

But with the Redskins, we have a nationally recognized and celebrated entity using a racial slur. It doesn't get more public than that, even if that slur is not being directed at someone in particular. This isn't a case of a person in their backyard doing something that offends others. And I'm sorry, but this does affect pretty much everyone in the country. What are we saying about ourselves when we allow a racial slur to be kept as the name of a team in one of the biggest sports in the country...a sport we're trying hard to export to other countries?

And this whole idea of, "Very little has been done before, so f#*k it, why bother now?" is pretty awful. Or the argument of, "There's so much else wrong in the country/world/universe, why bother with this?" Humans are capable of tackling multiple problems at once. Entire societies even moreso. The absence of action or effort in the past does not, and should not, dictate what we do going forward.

• Fire 2

Thank you guys for proving my point...

There are too many people, that have no direct connection to the situation, are deeming what is offensive, and what isn't. Daniel Snyder is essentially doing the same thing.

It's a term that is widely accepted as derogatory toward Native Americans. You don't have to be a f'ing Native American to know and accept that. You're basically saying that because I'm not black, I don't know that n****r is offensive and shouldn't comment on a team using that as their name. Wow...

Apparently you've not read anything I've posted up to now. My family on the res is more worried about eating and keeping their house warm this winter, than a name of a football team...

your truly

a f'ing Native American

PS - nice job on doing the reverse "Dan Snyder" telling me to be angry about a term that I could care less about

I'm not telling you to be offended by the word. Go ahead and point out where I did that. I simply said it doesn't require being a Native American to understand when a word (redskin in this instance) is considered racist and derogatory. I did NOT say everyone should consider it so. I was responding to your idiotic point about someone not being Native American having no ability to grasp the concept of "redskin" being derogatory. In addition, I've already stated Native Americans have bigger things to worry about, but that does not mean the small things should just be abandoned.

To the other person, I have been to a several reservations a number of times for multiple reasons. But that doesn't make me any more qualified to understand what a racist word is and that it should not be used as an NFL team name than anyone else.

But that is like you seeing me doing something in my yard, that has no effect on you, and you being offended by it, and then trying to stop me from doing it

I've heard older guys on the rez call each other, "you old 'skin". Now is that deragatory? Is that any worse or any better than black guys dropping the N bombs in conversation?

People are too worried about things that don't affect them...

Well if you were my neighbor and I saw you doing something offensive, like burning the flag or something, I would probably do something to stop you. It doesn't affect me personally. But it's still offensive.

To old guys on the rez calling each other that name is no different than blacks using the N word with each other. But it's still an offensive word, is it not?

You would have to be more defined in how you state "doesn't affect them". It affects people differently. Although I do not live on a reservation and my understanding of my Native American ancestry is limited at best, it doesn't mean I should have to accept the phrase. I don't want to have to explain to my children what the term means or why there is an arrogant billionaire a-hole that is dead set on using it as a name for a mascot.

Hey, walks, I don't think anyone thinks that this issue is more important than the issues of poverty facing Native Americans. Two things:

- we're debating this topic in this thread; we can (and we have!) debate the issues facing Native Americans, African-Americans, etc etc in other threads. And obviously I agree, one is more important, but let's not act like a race issue in the largest sports industry in the country isn't worthy of discussion. I know you have native american heritage, but most of us white folk aren't trying to be patronizing or whatever; most people who are against the name just genuinely want to do the right thing within the context of this issue alone

- you're going to get nowhere talking about how to end poverty on a conservative message board like this one

• Fire 1

Hey, walks, I don't think anyone thinks that this issue is more important than the issues of poverty facing Native Americans. Two things:

- we're debating this topic in this thread; we can (and we have!) debate the issues facing Native Americans, African-Americans, etc etc in other threads. And obviously I agree, one is more important, but let's not act like a race issue in the largest sports industry in the country isn't worthy of discussion. I know you have native american heritage, but most of us white folk aren't trying to be patronizing or whatever; most people who are against the name just genuinely want to do the right thing within the context of this issue alone

- you're going to get nowhere talking about how to end poverty on a conservative message board like this one

This board is conservative?

Solid points homie...

It was worthy of discussion, and the only reason it keeps coming up, is because the owner of the team is a complete moron. I'm sorry I get tired of the convenient activism that seems to be rampant in this country as of late. There are just bigger fish to fry, and with what I've seen growing up, I just prioritize things differently.

You're probably right, but it is mind boggling to me that people, who really have no stake in the argument, get riled up over something that doesn't involve them. Especially when there are bigger things to worry about. I apologize for my pragmatism...

i really wonder what this issue would look like if washington had any other owner. snyder certainly has a way of making everything worse.

Honestly, I don't think it would. If they had a savvy owner, he'd have scholarship programs set up, donating money to infrastructure, fund raising, etc...

i really wonder what this issue would look like if washington had any other owner. snyder certainly has a way of making everything worse.

Honestly, I don't think it would. If they had a savvy owner, he'd have scholarship programs set up, donating money to infrastructure, fund raising, etc...

yeah. someone who could say, "we understand that this word offends some, but that is not the meaning we give it. and it is important that we prove that by continuing our efforts within the native american community." something more polished than that, but with that intent. just someone to change the narrative and focus on something positive rather than intensifying the polarization by just seeming stubborn for the sake of being stubborn and spoiled.