Redskins will "never" change name

"Chief" and "Braves" and whatnot are not inherently offensive terms, although yes, naming a team after an ethnicity is pretty questionable as it is. Obviously "Redskins" is in another stratosphere because it's a derogatory term.

Plenty of teams are named after groups of humans - Pirates, Raiders, Patriots, Vikings, Sooners, so on and so forth. But the difference is that these names describe occupations or other groupings unrelated to race.

I get the feeling that the NFL (should they figure their own sh#t out) will force the Redskins to change it somehow within 3-4 years if Snyder won't do it on his own

"Chief" and "Braves" and whatnot are not inherently offensive terms, although yes, naming a team after an ethnicity is pretty questionable as it is. Obviously "Redskins" is in another stratosphere because it's a derogatory term.

Plenty of teams are named after groups of humans - Pirates, Raiders, Patriots, Vikings, Sooners, so on and so forth. But the difference is that these names describe occupations or other groupings unrelated to race.

I get the feeling that the NFL (should they figure their own sh#t out) will force the Redskins to change it somehow within 3-4 years if Snyder won't do it on his own

So, when North Dakota had to stop using the "Fighting Sioux", that was derogatory? What about all the college teams that had "Redmen"? How is that any different from the "Chiefs", "Indians", "Blackhawks", or "Braves"?

You can't pick and choose what is construed as racist and what isn't...

I mean, right in my post I said that those type of names are questionable at best. I was agreeing with you. If it were up to me none of those names would exist as sports team names. But you can also see how "Chiefs" gets less outrage than "Redskins"

I mean, right in my post I said that those type of names are questionable at best. I was agreeing with you. If it were up to me none of those names would exist as sports team names. But you can also see how "Chiefs" gets less outrage than "Redskins"

No worries, I was trying to expound on what you'd said...

I've gotten to the point, where I don't really care about the name. And this outrage, seems more like convenient activism by those who would use it for publicity or monetary gain...

• Fire 1

Thank you guys for proving my point...

There are too many people, that have no direct connection to the situation, are deeming what is offensive, and what isn't. Daniel Snyder is essentially doing the same thing.

It's a term that is widely accepted as derogatory toward Native Americans. You don't have to be a f'ing Native American to know and accept that. You're basically saying that because I'm not black, I don't know that n****r is offensive and shouldn't comment on a team using that as their name. Wow...

There are too many people, that have no direct connection to the situation, are deeming what is offensive, and what isn't. Daniel Snyder is essentially doing the same thing.

It's a term that is widely accepted as derogatory toward Native Americans. You don't have to be a f'ing Native American to know and accept that. You're basically saying that because I'm not black, I don't know that n****r is offensive and shouldn't comment on a team using that as their name. Wow...

"Most Indians Say Name of Washington “Redskins” Is Acceptable

Apparently you've not read anything I've posted up to now. My family on the res is more worried about eating and keeping their house warm this winter, than a name of a football team...

your truly

a f'ing Native American

PS - nice job on doing the reverse "Dan Snyder" telling me to be angry about a term that I could care less about

Edited by walksalone
  • Fire 1

The FCC has done squat to find anything morally offensive in the last twenty years. Did someone wake up the people in that office or was he told he better rule on this question or lose his job? How many people who have their panties in a wad over this issue have ever visited an Indian Reservation? Once again we deem it more important to not be offended by a word than to make sure a native child or senior citizen has the basics of life for survival.

• Fire 1

The FCC has done squat to find anything morally offensive in the last twenty years. Did someone wake up the people in that office or was he told he better rule on this question or lose his job? How many people who have their panties in a wad over this issue have ever visited an Indian Reservation? Once again we deem it more important to not be offended by a word than to make sure a native child or senior citizen has the basics of life for survival.

I cannot +1 that enough...

Why specify native in this sentence? That's just a true statement in general. And it goes for a lot of things. Like the latte salute. People are offended by the latte salute because it is somehow disrespectful of the military, yet most of those people have already forgotten about the VA fiasco. If you ask me, the VA system is more disrespectful of the military than some presidential salute getting off of a plane. Again, nothing of consequence matters, this is all just stupid gamesmanship to win a political point.

Apparently you've not read anything I've posted up to now. My family on the res is more worried about eating and keeping their house warm this winter, than a name of a football team...

your truly

a f'ing Native American

PS - nice job on doing the reverse "Dan Snyder" telling me to be angry about a term that I could care less about

So you aren't offended, that's fine. Some people are, and reasonably so. Dan Snyder doesn't have to change the name of the team (unless the NFL tells him to), but I am also free to tell him he is a racist dickbag for using it.

• Fire 1

your truly

a f'ing Native American

So you aren't offended, that's fine. Some people are, and reasonably so. Dan Snyder doesn't have to change the name of the team (unless the NFL tells him to), but I am also free to tell him he is a racist dickbag for using it.

This is exactly what needs to happen with these kinds of things! You and everyone else has to right to feel certain ways and to speak your minds. That is the beauty of this country. Don't associate with people/things/etc. that you find offensive and don't wish to support!

Enough people do this and pocketbooks are affected, changes WILL be made, but getting "offended" because media tells you to be "offended" and not focusing on real sources of and solutions to problems is disrespectful to those who we wish to "help".

This topic is so maddening. I'm sick to death of all this political correctness. The Washington Redskins will eventually be forced to change their name. It's a power struggle more than anything and I can't for the life of me figure out what the PC crowd has to gain by this other than continuing to force people to do what they want. I mean they could change their name to the Native Americans and then they'd get mad about the logo. And after Washington has changed everything....who's next?

These people offend me. Can we shut them down?