Good news for us re: Obamacare/ACA

I hope the government stays shut down so this bill doesn't get funded.

Obamacare is funded despite the shutdown. I'm surprised, given your fact filled post, that you don't know this.

But hey enjoy your free healthcare when there are no doctors to treat you because they either quit because they aren't getting paid anymore (you think the government will pay the going rates for procedures...if you think insurance companies refuse to pay doctors the government won't even get an arguement when they refuse payment) or the young person will choose a profession that will pay.

Riiiiiiiight. No one wants to be a doctor because of Obamacare. :ahhhhhhhh

DC would run a kid's neighborhood lemonade stand so deep into the red the entire country would have to be taxed to dig our way out of the smoking crater left behind.

If you're still carrying the banner for either of these entrenched, predatory parties then YOU are the problem. Not the GOP, not the "progressives," (God, what a beautifully manipulative moniker!) YOU.

Obama, by the way, is going to be regarded as one of the worst presidents in US history. That's two double term train wreck administrations in a row. Don't thank Obama. Thank your dyed-in-the-wool Republican/Democrat neighbors.

I find it bitterly hysterical that anyone seriously believes having the American government run anything as large and unwieldy as health care is a good idea. These f'ing people don't even pretend they don't have ulterior motives anymore.

God Bless the Queen.

• Fire 1

DC would run a kid's neighborhood lemonade stand so deep into the red the entire country would have to be taxed to dig our way out of the smoking crater left behind.

i disagreed with a lot of that rant (i think i liked the spirit of it), but i just wanted to point out that it would be hard for anyone to successfully run a kid's lemonade stand. those margins are razor thin. it is a very subsidized industry.

Other than those with pre-existing conditions, has Obamacare actually provided cheaper rates for anyone? I ask that in all honesty as people point to quotes from their respective party lines/media sources etc......

My sister-in-law and her husband are missionaries here in the US. Truly have no income. Dependent upon the ministry they serve. To insure her family (7) on the lowest possible price (bronze) it is going to cost approximately $2200/month. They do receive a $10k tax credit, BUT will still have to pay $15k out of pocket for coverage. With no income, how is this affordable.

Another friend currently pays $354/month for a family of 5 with a $5,000 deductible. Once this is met, insurance pays 100%. The exchange goes into effect and now the same plan will cost him approx $1500/month, with a $10,000 deductible and will then only pay 60% once met. Again, how is this affordable.

I just do not see how this is benefitting anyone?

If someone can explain, without the BS political tirade, smart a$$ responses that would be great.

Thanks

• Fire 1

Obama has placed in the top third of presidents by political and historical experts

I generally think that it's best to wait a few years (maybe even longer than that) to attempt to rank a president . . . but I'd guess that he'll fall somewhere slightly above average. Still plenty of time to move up or down.

Edit: I need to proofread.

Obama has placed in the top third of presidents by political and historical experts

I'm generally think that it's best to wait a few years (maybe even longer than that) to attempt to rank a president . . . but I'd guess that he'll fall somewhere slightly above average. Still plenty of time to move up or down.

I agree.

I don't know about a thing about the ACA. Where do I start learning about it?

Trust me, you don't want to know anymore than you absolutely have to. Seriously. If you aren't responsible for health insurance decisions for people other than yourself/your family, don't go through the brain damage. This may seem like a smartass, glib answer but I mean it.

Most people can find all they need to know by locating your states health insurance exchange online and seeing what plans/rates/assistance you qualify for.

If you're a glutton for punishment, look up PPACA and read the whole bill. I read most all of it quite awhile back.

• Fire 1

Well, an update for those that may care to know. I did not cancel/drop our company provided health insurance plan as I thought I would. I went with the December 1st early renewal (direct with broker and not through the health exchange) and kept the exact same plans we have now for one more year. After looking at the health exchange, similar coverage under the ACA beginning January 1st would've cost more than 25% more. I've given our employees a heads up already that, barring significant positive changes to the ACA or health insurance market, we will be discontinuing this company benefit effective December 1, 2014. At that time we'll probably give everyone about a $1.50 to $1.80 per hour bump to help replace the value of the benefit we were providing. I really hope some of them qualify for premium assistance otherwise they will be in for a rude awakening. The kick in the head is that the pay raise we give them will likely decrease the amount of any assistance they qualify for. The good news is, I won't have to worry about it and research plans anymore. Yippee-seriously, it's a pain in the arse.

• Fire 1

Spoke about my sister-in-law above. My brother-in-law, after again trying to apply on line, got stuck in the glitch for the past 2 days. Finally talked to a human and they advised him to contact Medicaid! This is on the SC exchange. Wow.

Needs to enroll to avoid the tax for "not being insured". Once this is done, with no insurance, they will have to apply for medicaid.

My insurance broker, who has also been trained to provide assistance/support for people using the health exchange, says the online system still is not working for groups. Individuals have been having intermittent problems but nobody has been able to get a group quote out of the system yet. Is this a good place for another "Thanks Obama"?

Is this the same group that gave him the peace prize with out really doing anything?

Well things are adjusting. He was deemed the greatest President ever prior to even being elected to the position.