When was the last off season that was this lackluster among fans

Nobody,

I was pretty young but I do remember some pretty gloomy feelings following the 1990 season. There was the incident where TO almost called quits then due to some heart complications. The season ended with 2 straight blowout losses and there was wonders if it would ever get done. And also as mentioned the 67 and 68 seasons. It takes these down times to recognize the shortcomings in order to correct and improve. Remember, Alabama just posted records of 6-7 in 2006 and 7-6 in 2007 (Saban's first year). Then in 2008 and on, they've been on the MNC scene and now appear completely invincible.

Some nice wins, an ugly loss to a team we shouldn't lose to, and a blowout or two on the road. That's the history from 2008 to now. I see no reason to expect a change.

2009 and 2010 had blowout losses on the road? I missed those. Wait, no I didn't, they didn't exist. So 2 years without, 3 years with (one being his first year). Hardly the history from 2008 to now.

You're right the Tech blowout loss in 09 was at home and the Washington loss in 2010 was neutral (and yes, I consider that a blowout, because we were never in it). But that's the ONE part of my statement that you can parse out. The rest? All completely true.

That's the ONE part of your statement that is the crux; everything else revolves around that, and as you said yourself, I am right, and you are wrong.

Nobody,

I was pretty young but I do remember some pretty gloomy feelings following the 1990 season. There was the incident where TO almost called quits then due to some heart complications. The season ended with 2 straight blowout losses and there was wonders if it would ever get done. And also as mentioned the 67 and 68 seasons. It takes these down times to recognize the shortcomings in order to correct and improve. Remember, Alabama just posted records of 6-7 in 2006 and 7-6 in 2007 (Saban's first year). Then in 2008 and on, they've been on the MNC scene and now appear completely invincible.

I understand where your coming from and all. But listen to this and see my main concern.

Tom Osborne learned and progressed. Though it took time, he tried numerous things to find an edge. When it came down to it, he ended up pretty much recruiting an entirely different type of player than what he normally would have. He changed. He adapted. It took willingness for him to admit that what he needed to change. He went back to the drawing board a few times.

Bo has got to reach this point. And unfortunately this day in college football does not allow a coach to take nearly as long to adapt and change. You must learn quickly or find yourself out the door. Everyone is in a win now mentality, including players. If you don't win games, players don't want to play for you. Nebraska faces enough challenges in the recruiting game, the winning tradition must stay alive here. It sets us above most.

Ive heard talk about changes Bo has made about the type of athletes we are recruiting. The more important thing is I've heard talk about SIMPLIFYING the scheme. Now I don't buy into this b.s. off season talk, but I've been preaching about simplification since the day Bo was hired. Now if he is finally coming around to that then hallelujah! I think he will succeed. If he doesn't simplify and adapt though I believe he will fail.

Why must Bo simplify to succeed? His scheme has been proven to work. Right? Wrong. His scheme has worked when he had NfL talent. It has largely failed when the players have been subpar. This is the duty of a coach. To adjust his expectations to the limitations of his players. This is why they practice. To find out what those limitations are. Saban is the king of this. If you don't want to adjust your expectations, well then Head Coach, focus more time, and money, and SUV's, and houses for famiy members to get the recruits that make your scheme look like a world beater. Saban also is the king of this.....But since we are so focused on doing things the "right" way and going through the " process" , Maybe we should just stick to Keeping It Simple.

• Fire 1

A balance has to exist between the talent and scheme. I think even with a simplified scheme, Nebraska wasn't going to have a stand-out defense the last couple of years. It's because Pelini and his staff aren't capable of making up for a lack of talent at this point. They could get there in time, but until then, I think talent is going to be of paramount importance.

Bill Snyder and Co. can make up for a lack of talent becaues of the experience and savvy Snyder brings to the table. We don't have that luxury, which is why I think talent is going to be fairly important until Pelini and the staff get better.

• Fire 1
I think people forget that TO was a head football coach for 25 years, not 3.

If that's in response to me them you completely didnt read my entire post. Now go back and re-read it. If you believe coaches have the same amount of time to get it right as they once were afforded, well then you've been missing a few things.

• Fire 1
A balance has to exist between the talent and scheme. I think even with a simplified scheme, Nebraska wasn't going to have a stand-out defense the last couple of years. It's because Pelini and his staff aren't capable of making up for a lack of talent at this point. They could get there in time, but until then, I think talent is going to be of paramount importance.

Bill Snyder and Co. can make up for a lack of talent becaues of the experience and savvy Snyder brings to the table. We don't have that luxury, which is why I think talent is going to be fairly important until Pelini and the staff get better.

Great point. It makes you wonder what Snyder and staff focus their time in teaching compared to us as a staff. I'm not gonna lie, I hate Kansas state but to me coach Snyder is the second best coach I've seen in my lifetime.

If that's in response to me them you completely didnt read my entire post. Now go back and re-read it. If you believe coaches have the same amount of time to get it right as they once were afforded, well then you've been missing a few things.

It was a general response. However, comparing Bo's first five years to TOs last five are very unfair. While not a lot of people are privy to what was simplified to fit our players last year, you have to realize it was done. I'm not in those meetings and there isn't anyone here that was, however if you look at the caliber of athlete that was playing linebacker for us last year and the clear cut lack of quality depth at DE/DT it is a wonder how we won 10 games last year and had a good opportunity to win a few more. When you go back and look at our linebacker play we were slow, weak, and just flat out not very good. That is just one example. So we were able mask a lot of our issues with our defensive personnel that allowed us to win 10 football games. That isn't up for debate. We made of work.

TO lost 0, 1, or 2 games a year from 1979 to the time he retired in 1997. He finished ranked in the top ten 15 of those years. Even the so called rocky years of Osbornes were 3 loss seasons. So not only is nobody comparing TO's last five to Bo's first five, but hell, in my opinion, you won't ever compare their entire careers.

TO lost 0, 1, or 2 games a year from 1979 to the time he retired in 1997. He finished ranked in the top ten 15 of those years. Even the so called rocky years of Osbornes were 3 loss seasons. So not only is nobody comparing TO's last five to Bo's first five, but hell, in my opinion, you won't ever compare their entire careers.

Actually, TO lost 1,2, or 3 games every year from 1979 till he stepped aside in 1997, with the exception of 3 seasons with zero losses.

A little irrelevant, but factual.

Nobody,

I understand where your coming from and all. But listen to this and see my main concern.

Tom Osborne learned and progressed. Though it took time, he tried numerous things to find an edge. When it came down to it, he ended up pretty much recruiting an entirely different type of player than what he normally would have. He changed. He adapted. It took willingness for him to admit that what he needed to change. He went back to the drawing board a few times.

Bo has got to reach this point. And unfortunately this day in college football does not allow a coach to take nearly as long to adapt and change. You must learn quickly or find yourself out the door. Everyone is in a win now mentality, including players. If you don't win games, players don't want to play for you. Nebraska faces enough challenges in the recruiting game, the winning tradition must stay alive here. It sets us above most.

Ive heard talk about changes Bo has made about the type of athletes we are recruiting. The more important thing is I've heard talk about SIMPLIFYING the scheme. Now I don't buy into this b.s. off season talk, but I've been preaching about simplification since the day Bo was hired. Now if he is finally coming around to that then hallelujah! I think he will succeed. If he doesn't simplify and adapt though I believe he will fail.

Why must Bo simplify to succeed? His scheme has been proven to work. Right? Wrong. His scheme has worked when he had NfL talent. It has largely failed when the players have been subpar. This is the duty of a coach. To adjust his expectations to the limitations of his players. This is why they practice. To find out what those limitations are. Saban is the king of this. If you don't want to adjust your expectations, well then Head Coach, focus more time, and money, and SUV's, and houses for famiy members to get the recruits that make your scheme look like a world beater. Saban also is the king of this.....But since we are so focused on doing things the "right" way and going through the " process" , Maybe we should just stick to Keeping It Simple.

Yes. TO adjusted and changed. But he took over in 1973 and it took until 1980 until he decided he needed to change a little offensively, got Turner Gill and transformed into what was seen at that point. The program was dominant again. Now, it obviously didnt fall under as "hard" of times as we are experiencing right now, but obviously, the accomplishments throught 1990 were lackluster. Thanks to OU later on Colorado, we didnt even win the Big 8 majority of the time. Osborne made another adjustment in 1991ish to 92 going with more speed and so on and so on (we all know the fairy tale ending). But it did take time to realize what has to be done. Bo is at that crossroads right now, or maybe he was at that crossroads last offseason, but the changes dont produce results overnight. As I said, even Saban and Bama went 7-6 in Nick's first year there. Frazier didnt come to Lincoln and blow the nation away and win a National title in 92. Bob Devaney didnt win it all in 62. It just takes time and adjusting on the fly. Not to mention we're tryin to it with a first time HC and rebuilding a house that was completely burned to the ground.

Also. TO never had to contend with changing conferences. He never had to completely start over with finding familiarities with a whole new schedule of opponents. He never had to deal with something completely new, week in and week out. This will always be the most undersold reason-not excuse, reason-for the struggles of the past few years. Sometimes if you step back and look at things like lack of talent, kids doing well in school and graduating, changing conferences, dealing with a completely rapid fanbase and local media, and still getting the 9 to 10 wins, maybe Bo aint so bad afterall. Hell, maybe he's a damn fine coach, but I'll bet no one's as dissatisfied as Bo himself.

Posters frequently cite that 9 wins is not what it used to be due to the extra games being played now days, which is fair. What is unfair is that people are just assuming that if there was an extra game (against a higher quality opponent as our leagues have 12 teams not 8) and a championship game that TO would have won those games. The fact is TO would have had some 4 loss seasons in there if there was a championship game in the beginning and he likely would have had a 5 loss season or two if there was an extra game against a team that was a quality opponent such as a Texas, TT, OKst (current day OKst, not that weak sauce they used to bring). We have to compare apples to apples.

• Fire 1

Recruiting is fine. Trust me.

It's ok everyone. EZ-E says it's fine. Don't question him, he knows everything.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic. If not, you remind me of some people who caused timm-may to leave HO. EZ brings quality insights to the board. You don't like it, go past it just like I'll be skipping right by your every post from now on.

:rolleyes:

It makes one wonder, when will the excuses run out? So far, there has been plenty of excuses and in all acutality, they are mostly legitimate excuses. But if we are waiting for the landscape of college football to stop changing before we win another CC or NC well then my friends, we may be in for quite a wait. It's been changing every year, and will continue to do so. Yet some teams, namely Alabama, and recently Texas AnM somehow has dealt with these same changes and found a way to look pretty impressive. I don't know. I want to see Bo succeed, but only a blind man couldn't see that he has quite a ways to go, and unfortunately we have been trending downward instead of upward. GO BiG RED.