When was the last off season that was this lackluster among fans

Geez grumpy pants. What was all this talk about NEGATIVITY?

RUSSIANMACHINE+twitter.gif

If youre responding to me True, I wanna make it clear that I wasnt responding to your comments exclusively. It's why I didnt quote your post. I was commenting on a pretty common perception that we see and/or have.

If you weren't responding to me, ignore this post and I'll carry on with being an idiot. :P

As far as losing 2 regular season games goes, hell I'll put money on losing 3. It's probably going to happen folks. Lot of youth on that D, and frankly, our offense is probably not going to be this generational juggernaut that it's being talked up to being. And again after such, the sky will fall, the world will end, everyone will crawl out of their shelters and we'll be right back here exactly one year from now having these exact same discussions.

I really think this is the point of the thread. There isn't as much off-season excitement because we know what to expect each year. The program has kind of stalled and isn't advancing the way we felt it was after the '09 or '10 seasons.

So you are expecting us to go 10-4 agan this year? Or are you thinking worse?

I think the schedule sets up really well for Nebraska this year. Still, the defense figures to be pretty bad, and the offensive heroics aren't likely to break the same this year as last...I'd put us in the regular season at 10-2 or 9-3 (If I were betting, losses to UCLA, Michigan, possibly Northwestern), if that gets us to the Big 10 title game again, we'll lose to OSU as well (10-3 or 9-4). I don't want to predict bowls, way too hard to say who the match-up would be.

As far as losing 2 regular season games goes, hell I'll put money on losing 3. It's probably going to happen folks. Lot of youth on that D, and frankly, our offense is probably not going to be this generational juggernaut that it's being talked up to being. And again after such, the sky will fall, the world will end, everyone will crawl out of their shelters and we'll be right back here exactly one year from now having these exact same discussions.

I really think this is the point of the thread. There isn't as much off-season excitement because we know what to expect each year. The program has kind of stalled and isn't advancing the way we felt it was after the '09 or '10 seasons.

it wont be worse. I'm legitimately predicting a 2 loss reg season one way or another. Birth in the Big 10 title game will depend on Michigan's performance, for I think that game could be a loss. Personally, I think Michigan's overrated as hell. What I do believe is even though this season may be status quo in terms of straight wins and losses, I do believe that by mid to late season, the athleticism of our young defensive studs will start to come together with their experience and show us some things to be really excited about for the future. But unfortunately, the offense will probably be in somewhat rebuild mode for 2014 with a new quarterback.

No, I dont think there's gonna be any blowouts this year. They may be stinging losses, but nothing like the last couple years.

I think the schedule sets up really well for Nebraska this year. Still, the defense figures to be pretty bad, and the offensive heroics aren't likely to break the same this year as last...I'd put us in the regular season at 10-2 or 9-3 (If I were betting, losses to UCLA, Michigan, possibly Northwestern), if that gets us to the Big 10 title game again, we'll lose to OSU as well (10-3 or 9-4). I don't want to predict bowls, way too hard to say who the match-up would be.

I think the offense will be better, the linebackers will be better, and I'm not sure if the safeties will be any better, but they certainly won't be any worse. Hard to say with the defensive line, there's a chance it could be better than last year, but there's also a chance it could be. . . gulp . . . worse. Although he disappeared at times, Eric Martin was the closest thing we had to a playmaker on the defensive line. Without his presence there's actually a very good chance it could be worse. Valentine seems to be our only hope of having an improved defensive line, but by all accounts he's lazy, and he probably won't be in any kind of shape to play 60 snaps per game.

Anyways, I think this year will be a better team playing an easier schedule, but it just seems standard we'll find a way to lose 4 games, doesn't it?

I guess I'm confused as to your point... That I forgot that in 2009 the blowout was at home rather than on the road, my entire statement has no merit? I have no interest in arguing semantics with you. If you want to have an actual, rational discussion about the football team, lets do. If you want to say "HA! I caught you getting a detail wrong, that means I'm right!", then I really don't have interest in the debate. Regardless of where the 2009 Texas Tech game was played, my point still stands.

I think fans (at least this fan) are excited for the season from the standpoint of "you never know..." but don't expect a huge season. The program under Pelini has dictated what fans should expect. Some nice wins, an ugly loss to a team we shouldn't lose to, and a blowout or two on the road. That's the history from 2008 to now. I see no reason to expect a change.

So, I'm excited to watch some football this fall, and I'll yell really loudly... but in this offseason, I'm finding it hard to be super excited for another year without a conference championship.

Your point still stands.....what was the point, again? As mentioned, your point here is that every season under Bo has been the same, with three distinguishing elements (nice wins, ugly loss to a team we should beat, and one or two road blowouts). We've already broken down how this point is incorrect, but have you revised your point into something else? I might have missed it, but have you actually made any kind of statement since then? What is the point you are trying to make?

MY point is that we don't know what to expect. There have been some common themes from 2008 until now, sure, but there have plenty of differences also. 2008 was an outlier as a first year, climbing out of the deepest pit imaginable. We didn't lose to anybody that we shouldn't have that year, being the underdog in all four losses, and three of them being against the #4, #4 and #7 ranked teams in the country (going into OT against #7). 2009 was a pretty dependable unit, at least after bringing back the reigns on the offense, and had a number of gutsy performances, and no blowout losses on the road. Those are two brief examples.

The state of our football program is like any other. There are some things that are trends (for good and bad), and there are some things that are inconsistent (for good and bad). The only way we'll have any idea how 2013 will shape out is by looking in hindsight after it's over.

It would be funny, and a real possibility, to back-door into a BCS Bowl.

We could only lose 1 game to have a shot a BCS bowl and that ain't gonna happen. that 1 loss would have to be to the legends winner.

You mean, like maybe at Michigan?

I guess I'm confused as to your point... That I forgot that in 2009 the blowout was at home rather than on the road, my entire statement has no merit? I have no interest in arguing semantics with you. If you want to have an actual, rational discussion about the football team, lets do. If you want to say "HA! I caught you getting a detail wrong, that means I'm right!", then I really don't have interest in the debate. Regardless of where the 2009 Texas Tech game was played, my point still stands.

I think fans (at least this fan) are excited for the season from the standpoint of "you never know..." but don't expect a huge season. The program under Pelini has dictated what fans should expect. Some nice wins, an ugly loss to a team we shouldn't lose to, and a blowout or two on the road. That's the history from 2008 to now. I see no reason to expect a change.

So, I'm excited to watch some football this fall, and I'll yell really loudly... but in this offseason, I'm finding it hard to be super excited for another year without a conference championship.

Your point still stands.....what was the point, again? As mentioned, your point here is that every season under Bo has been the same, with three distinguishing elements (nice wins, ugly loss to a team we should beat, and one or two road blowouts). We've already broken down how this point is incorrect, but have you revised your point into something else? I might have missed it, but have you actually made any kind of statement since then? What is the point you are trying to make?

MY point is that we don't know what to expect. There have been some common themes from 2008 until now, sure, but there have plenty of differences also. 2008 was an outlier as a first year, climbing out of the deepest pit imaginable. We didn't lose to anybody that we shouldn't have that year, being the underdog in all four losses, and three of them being against the #4, #4 and #7 ranked teams in the country (going into OT against #7). 2009 was a pretty dependable unit, at least after bringing back the reigns on the offense, and had a number of gutsy performances, and no blowout losses on the road. Those are two brief examples.

The state of our football program is like any other. There are some things that are trends (for good and bad), and there are some things that are inconsistent (for good and bad). The only way we'll have any idea how 2013 will shape out is by looking in hindsight after it's over.

Fine, there will be a loss to a team we shouldn't lose to, a blowout loss (home, road, or neutral site), and some decent wins. Feel better now?

It would be funny, and a real possibility, to back-door into a BCS Bowl.

We could only lose 1 game to have a shot a BCS bowl and that ain't gonna happen. that 1 loss would have to be to the legends winner.

You mean, like maybe at Michigan?

yeah. I think this year and next year the schedule is too weak for us to have 2-3 losses and make a bcs bowl game. Only the SEC gets away with having a multiple loss team in a BCS bowl game or national title game.

Geez grumpy pants. What was all this talk about NEGATIVITY?

RUSSIANMACHINE+twitter.gif

If youre responding to me True, I wanna make it clear that I wasnt responding to your comments exclusively. It's why I didnt quote your post. I was commenting on a pretty common perception that we see and/or have.

If you weren't responding to me, ignore this post and I'll carry on with being an idiot. :P

Well it wasn't so much a response, just tossin' some sh#t your way. Your not an idiot, you just might be a little more sunshine and daisies than me. I'm at the point now where I'll believe it when I see it. This staff has done way too much talking. The recruiting classes in the past were all told to be great classes, full of talent, yet now that they haven't panned out, there are too many people acting like they knew it all along. That's a joke to me. It's to easy to go back and say you saw things coming after they have already happened. But where were these question marks when these guys were signed?

I'll say this. I actually think the schedule this year is very weak. I don't think we should lose more than two games even in worst case scenario. 3 if you count a CC game loss, which I believe will likely be the case. Really though, this offense has absolutely no reason to fail. The defense clearly has an increase in talent this year in my opinion. Will talent translate to success? Again, wait and see. Somehow, poor recruiting, multiple turnovers, stupid penalties that are usually repeated over and over again at costly times, and downright lack of discipline in tackling and fundamentals is somehow being interpreted only as a lack of talent on the players. Well, not I sir, those things are failures by this staff. And until they get cleaned up, we will continue to lose games we shouldn't lose. So you just never know what to expect.

At least once per year to Nebraska in the Pelini era. That's exactly my point.

And every other school in the country as well. Football isn't an exact science.

Schools may lose games to teams better than they are, but every other school in the country doesn't have an upset per year. For example, Oklahoma lost a few games last year, but none of them were really upsets, and they were all to top 10 teams. Upsets do happen, but not to the same team every year.