Husker Camp Countdown: NU’s top 50 players heading into 2013

Speaking of Cooper ...

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 12 Corey Cooper

By Rich Kaipust, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED MONDAY, JULY 22, 2013 AT 7:00 AM

Corey Cooper | 6-foot-1 | 210pounds | Jr. | Safety

His size and versatility serve him well at one of the most important positions in a Bo Pelini defense. So far, Cooper has not only played safety but dabbled at cornerback and both dime and nickel roles. Also, Cooper will have the same position coach (Terry Joseph) for the second straight season for the first time in his Husker career.

LINK

He's about the same size as Eric Hagg from couple years ago, a bit bigger than DeJon Gomes. I think he's faster than either of them. I just hope he has Gomes' nose for the ball.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 11 David Santos

By Rich Kaipust, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED TUESDAY, JULY 23, 2013 AT 7:00 AM / UPDATED AT 8:59 PM

David Santos | 6-foot | 225 pounds | So. | Linebacker

<snip> Santos played the weakside position last season — starting against Michigan and making a career-high 10 tackles — but was trained at the middle spot before the Capital One Bowl and during spring practice. “He gives us a really quick Mike linebacker,” NU assistant Ross Els said back in March.

LINK

I hope that arm injury is healed. Because he's gonna get thrown into the mix right away.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 10 Zaire Anderson

By Jon Nyatawa, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED WEDNESDAY, JULY 24, 2013 AT 7:00 AM

Zaire Anderson | 5-foot-11 | 220pounds | Jr. | Linebacker

Hard to imagine that the brief glimpse coaches and teammates had of Anderson’s on-field ability last year was hampered by an previously torn ACL. He didn’t show many signs of a significant injury, so it makes one wonder what kind of potential Anderson has when fully healthy.

LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 9 Cole Pensick

BY JON NYATAWA, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED / 7:00 AM, THURSDAY, JUL. 25

Cole Pensick | 6-foot-2 | 275 pounds | Sr. | Center

<snip> he’s expected to start at center — his responsibilities as a pulling blocker likely will not. He’s one of the strongest players on the team, too, so he has the ability to hold his own while taking on mammoth-sized defensive tackles.

LINK

Already got his degree. I wonder what he'll do now that he can concentrate more on football. He can already play three spots on the line. Center and both guard positions.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 8 Jason Ankrah

BY JON NYATAWA, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED FRIDAY, JULY 26, 2013 / 7:00 AM

Jason Ankrah | 6-foot-4 | 265 pounds | Sr. | Defensive End

The dude who’s looked the part physically for three years now has played in 36 career games, starting 18. Ankrah’s overflowing with upside — but he’s never quite found the balance between aggression and hesitancy. Ankrah had the best spring of his career this offseason, said defensive coordinator John Papuchis.

LINK

Here's hoping for breakout seasons for Ankrah and Gregory (although, I guess technically Gregory might have a break-in season).

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 7 Jamal Turner

BY JON NYATAWA, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED SATURDAY, JULY 27, 2013 / 7:00 AM

Jamal Turner | 6-foot-1 | 185 pounds | Jr. | Wide Receiver

The turning point, arguably, occurred last offseason, when he acknowledged his flaws and buddied up with veterans for tutelage. Confidence ballooned from there, and was exposed fully when he caught the winning touchdown in the final seconds at Michigan State.

Now that Turner has grasped Nebraska’s offensive system, the elusiveness and explosiveness that defined his sensational improv days as a dual-threat quarterback in high school can be fully utilized in the Huskers’ attack. Watch for him on special teams, too.

LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 6 Quincy Enunwa

By Jon Nyatawa, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED SUNDAY, JULY 28, 2013 AT 7:00 AM / UPDATED AT 7:21 PM

Quincy Enunwa | 6-foot-2 | 225 pounds | Sr. | Wide receiver

<snip> He was most effective in the deep middle last year, separating from cornerbacks by using his rare blend of speed and strength. And at times, he’d simply sky over the defender and haul in the catch.

It’s his athleticism that makes Enunwa a matchup nightmare and a potential candidate to be featured in a hybrid-type fashion this fall. One thing’s for sure: He’ll be showcased somehow.

LINK

Enunwa, Bell and Turner make a great combination. A real matchup nightmare for defensive coordinators. No doubt the best three receivers we've ever had at Nebraska at the same time.

The suspense is killing me!!!

Who is going to be #1??!!1!!

Ha ha! Well we know who #1 will be. It's #2 and #3 three I'm wondering about. Oh the suspense! :lol:

We'll still see Martinez, AA, Bell, Enunwa and Long which means the top seven and eight of the top nine will be on offense. (Apparently the OWH isn't as excited about the D). Not that that's a surprise.

I'd say the rest of the countdown will be Enunwa, Long, Bell, AA, Martinez just because we're run-heavy but I wouldn't be surprised to see AA and Bell switched.

Ha ha! Well we know who #1 will be. It's #2 and #3 three I'm wondering about. Oh the suspense! :lol:

We'll still see Martinez, AA, Bell, Enunwa and Long which means the top seven and eight of the top nine will be on offense. (Apparently the OWH isn't as excited about the D). Not that that's a surprise.

I'd say the rest of the countdown will be Enunwa, Long, Bell, AA, Martinez just because we're run-heavy but I wouldn't be surprised to see AA and Bell switched.

So Ciante Evans is playing on offense this year?

So Ciante Evans is playing on offense this year?

True. I counted Enunwa in two spots and thought I had enough guys to fill out the list.

I'll revise my prediction to Long, Evans, Bell, AA, Martinez.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 5 Spencer Long

By Sam McKewon, Omaha World Herald, PUBLISHED MONDAY, JULY 29, 2013 AT 7:00 AM / UPDATED AT 7:47 PM

Spencer Long | 6-foot-4 | 315 pounds | Sr. | Guard

<snip> Long, the former walk-on from Elkhorn who may become a brain surgeon someday, could be the leader who changes it. A consistent, tough-minded, mentally-sharp guard, he anchors what could be NU’s best line since 2001. He pulls with efficiency. He doesn’t give up sacks. He doesn’t commit dumb penalties. He’s what the Pipeline, as a whole, used to be — and what the Huskers would like the offensive line to become again.

LINK

Getting guys like the Long brothers--it's what the walkon program is all about. We're lucky to have this guy.