Like him or not, Steve Pederson's vision...

Why are you guys even responding to Formerfan? Just give it up. The guy is stubborn and doesn't have 1 ounce of a positive outlook on his face. Whatever you say, he will just keep referring back to the 10-3 season. He would not have any ammo had NU not gone 10-3 that year. I personally wish NU had gone 1-10 that year just to shut him up, but it didn't happen..so just ignore him and move on.

The reason that TO was reluctant about his name being used on the new facility was because that naming came soon after the firing of TOs pupil and his hand picked successor, FS. Since then ,it has been reported that FS mishandled his assistants contracts' extentions at the dismay of the administration. Was his drinking a problem while he was still at NU? This loyalty stance is somewhat understandable, but TO tabbed the wrong guy, i.e., he made a mistake.

I've never understood how the AD could have let him go "gracefully." The need to move him had to be before the bowl game. He could have fired him before rather than after the last regular season game,. It couldn't have been done any later, because of the recruiting of athletes and the contacts made for his replacement. The same scenario, for the same reasons, is played out in the other schools. Exactly the same timing was employed by CU for Barnett. The only difference is that they found the replacement much sooner.

This topic has sure brought a lot of comments considering all Pederson has done so far is fire the football coach. If you travel 50 miles either side of this state you would see the Football team hasn't returned to any national prominence.  Time will tell if this guy has any vision or not.  The fact that he can't get people to contribute to a building that Osborne wasn't even sure he wanted his name on shows that many people are not ready to blindly follow this guy.

whether you like Pud or not, donations for the athletic facility is a reflection on the fans, NOT THE AD OR THE COACH......IMHO........we need to support the team and the building of world class facilities.....we can always get another AD or coach later if need be.......

hunter

I'd have to disagree with you and agree with what roadrat says. It simply means not everyone is ready to blindly follow this guy. If people are unsettled enough to close their wallets, then something needs to be fixed. But like everyone says, winning cures everything. I'm sure if BC manages a Big 12 North title next year (which I think should be the measure of weather next season is a failure or not), then the donations will come rolling in. But don't insinuate that people are bad fans just because they don't want to keep donating even when they don't agree with what is going on. Or they want more assurance that this is going in the right direction before they write checks.

which I think should be the measure of weather next season is a failure or not

Just a FYI, weather is a description of the conditions outside. I think you meant Whether

Second of all, the donations are not going to Bill Callahan or Steve Pederson. If people want to use the excuse of "i don't agree with what is going on at Nebraska" then why the hell are some people paying for season tickets to begin with or even paying to go to the games. It hypocritical for someone to say "i don't support what's going on" and then turn around and buy a ticket to watch a team whose management he can't support. That's not directed at you, it's directed at everyone who is being hypocritical

Just a FYI, weather is a description of the conditions outside. I think you meant Whether

Second of all, the donations are not going to Bill Callahan or Steve Pederson. If people want to use the excuse of "i don't agree with what is going on at Nebraska" then why the hell are some people paying for season tickets to begin with or even paying to go to the games. It hypocritical for someone to say "i don't support what's going on" and then turn around and buy a ticket to watch a team whose management he can't support. That's not directed at you, it's directed at everyone who is being hypocritical

You were just waiting for that spelling error so you could pounce, weren't you? Well, thanks for the tip. I never have been a good speller. Certain words always get me, like whether and weather.

The "all-or-nothing" mentality is what I disagree with. I am unsettled by the direction of the football program. If I had money to be a big booster, I would approach it this way: I'm still a fan so I'm not going to completely desert the team. I'll buy tickets to the games when I can and maybe some merchandise. But I can't justify writing a multi-thousand dollar check. It would be my way of voicing my displeasure. If I was completely disgusted and wanted nothing to do with it, I wouldn't buy tickets or anything. What about the people who waited to write their checks for the facility until Solich was fired? Were they being hypocritical? Shouldn't they give all the support they can even if they didn't think Solich should be retained? I don't think so. They didn't agree with how the program was going and chose to show it by witholding the big dollars.

Dang it...I did it again. Starting........Now.

so in '03 when we lost to kansas state frank didnt get outcoached outmanned etc?  by UT?  by Mizzou?

I guess its better than getting beat 40-15 by KU, or getting beat by S Miss.

It happened 3 times in 03, 6 times last year by some not so good teams.

Besides, it was just the NEW assistants first year. They hadnt even been there ONE year, they needed time.........

I think one of the things I always gather from your viewpoint is that you are ultimately upset because of the record, 5-6 and 7-4. Not up to the standards you see fit for Huksers football. Correct? Is this number 1 on your list?

so in '03 when we lost to kansas state frank didnt get outcoached outmanned etc?  by UT?  by Mizzou?

I guess its better than getting beat 40-15 by KU, or getting beat by S Miss.

It happened 3 times in 03, 6 times last year by some not so good teams.

Besides, it was just the NEW assistants first year. They hadnt even been there ONE year, they needed time.........

I think one of the things I always gather from your viewpoint is that you are ultimately upset because of the record, 5-6 and 7-4. Not up to the standards you see fit for Huksers football. Correct? Is this number 1 on your list?

In all honesty, I dont like the record, thats no secret. I also dont like it that NU IMO doesnt play particularly well. For instance, the 94 OB vs FSU, I wasnt happy that NU lost, but I could not have been more proud of the team for the way they played against FSU, a team that had much more talent than NU did.

I want to see improvement in the caliber of play on the field, when that happens, the wins will come. Yes, there have been some slight improvements in some areas this year, but as I have said, the team isnt that much better overall than they were at game one last year. Yes the CU game was a complete game, but I would have hoped for more of that, especially this year.

There are other things that are important: academics, traditions, doing things "the right way (ie not having thugs on team-which is one thing that I think billy c has done well, at first glance-Incognito, etc.).

Its not just one thing, there are so many variables that go into it. If one or two of the variables are gone or changed, thats understandable, and I could live with that. But it seems like there is nothing that resembles NU of just a few short years ago, with the exception of TO Field, and the N on the helmet.

This topic has sure brought a lot of comments considering all Pederson has done so far is fire the football coach. If you travel 50 miles either side of this state you would see the Football team hasn't returned to any national prominence.  Time will tell if this guy has any vision or not.  The fact that he can't get people to contribute to a building that Osborne wasn't even sure he wanted his name on shows that many people are not ready to blindly follow this guy.

whether you like Pud or not, donations for the athletic facility is a reflection on the fans, NOT THE AD OR THE COACH......IMHO........we need to support the team and the building of world class facilities.....we can always get another AD or coach later if need be.......

hunter

I'd have to disagree with you and agree with what roadrat says. It simply means not everyone is ready to blindly follow this guy. If people are unsettled enough to close their wallets, then something needs to be fixed. But like everyone says, winning cures everything. I'm sure if BC manages a Big 12 North title next year (which I think should be the measure of weather next season is a failure or not), then the donations will come rolling in. But don't insinuate that people are bad fans just because they don't want to keep donating even when they don't agree with what is going on. Or they want more assurance that this is going in the right direction before they write checks.

:yeah

Besides, that is the way that the common fan will be able to voice his opinion. If you dont like the way a company is ran, dont spend your money there.

i hear what you are sayin FF and i do feel that they have changed some things but they still emphasize academic excellence, teamwork, sportsmanship, hard working ethic, and winning. to me those traditions will never change no matter what offense is being run, what the field turf looks like, and what color herbie husker's hair is.

He would not have any ammo had NU not gone 10-3 that year.

Incorrect, NU had 4 other very good years under FS prior to that.

I personally wish NU had gone 1-10 that year just to shut him up, but it didn't happen..so just ignore him and move on.

Wow, I guess thats what REAL fans do :dumdum

That would be as ignorant as me wishing that NU would go 1-10 just to prove how bad of a coach billy c is :wacko:

He would not have any ammo had NU not gone 10-3 that year.

Incorrect, NU had 4 other very good years under FS prior to that.

I personally wish NU had gone 1-10 that year just to shut him up, but it didn't happen..so just ignore him and move on.

Wow, I guess thats what REAL fans do :dumdum

That would be as ignorant as me wishing that NU would go 1-10 just to prove how bad of a coach billy c is :wacko:

1998: 9-4 Losses to OK St., home streak snapped, and a first time loss in over 20 years (Maybe? a long time for sure) to K st. And a Holiday Bowl loss to a Arizona team that was grossly exposed the following year

1999: 11-1 Pretty damn good, I guess you could quibble that Solich threw the Texas game away with his clock management, but again he didn;t fumble the ball all those times. Awesome defense, and McBride retires

2000: 10-2 Impressive bowl game beat down but Stoops fed Solich his clipboard in thier first meeting and yet another loss to Kst.

2001: 10-2 a great season completely erased by the last two abortions of a game. Sorry but that's the truth

2002: 7-7 Ack. Horrible. Looked lost the whole year. Lost to K St. and Colorado IN THE SAME YEAR

2003: 9-3 He was fired before the bowl and this year was pretty hollow. Loss to Mizzou for first time in over two decades, overmatched against Texas and a disgusting, awful, horrid, job costing loss to K St (4th in his career)

I'll give you 1999 but that was the only "very good" season under Solich. Granted that's one more "very good" season Callahan has had, but you preached patience with SOlich.... Callahan may not be the answer, but if he beats Michigan I'll eat my words I screamed after the KU loss