NSA leaker Edward Snowden: Hero or Traitor?

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If convicted of Treason he could face the death penalty. We haven't actually executed anyone convicted of treason in the past 100 years or so, so I would doubt he gets that. Likely he'll get a 25-year to life sentence. Even those people receiving such sentences in the past century or so have been paroled or pardoned, though.

If he's convicted of spying he'll get a lengthy prison term, like 15-25 years, but likely paroled. Recent examples are Steven Lalas (1993) and Irvin Scarbeck (1960s).

It's highly unlikely Snowden would get the death penalty, but he's looking at several years in jail, minimum.

I remember when Steven Lalas was arrested. There was another guy in the 90s I should remember but I'm drawing a blank on his name. I can see his face but that doesn't help much in a google search. :D

Robbert Hanssen?

YES! Man, that was bugging me.

Hanssen got life in prison without possibility of parole, but he'd been selling secrets for years. Hard to say how they'll interpret Snowden's actions.

I remember when Steven Lalas was arrested. There was another guy in the 90s I should remember but I'm drawing a blank on his name. I can see his face but that doesn't help much in a google search. :D

Robbert Hanssen?

YES! Man, that was bugging me.

Hanssen got life in prison without possibility of parole, but he'd been selling secrets for years. Hard to say how they'll interpret Snowden's actions.

Yeah, Hanssen. I'd forgotten about that guy. He was the FBI's version of Aldrich Ames. Made the FBI look like a bunch of bumbling fools.

Wow what a world turned upside down - here I am agreeing with the Venezuelan President!! :ahhhhhhhh

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100859635

Also on Tuesday, Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro said Snowden had not applied for asylum in that country, although he added the world community should support the former CIA contractor's work exposing "the imperialist elite of the United States."

"They spy on friend and foe," he told reporters after a gas exporters' conference in Russia. "They have created a semi-Orwellian system." (TG comment: no semi about it!)

In a statement released late Monday through WikiLeaks, Snowden said the White House was pressuring other countries to deny him asylum.

"The Obama administration has now adopted the strategy of using citizenship as a weapon," his statement said. "This kind of deception from a world leader is not justice, and neither is the extralegal penalty of exile. These are the old, bad tools of political aggression. Their purpose is to frighten, not me, but those who would come after me."

screw him. people act like we are the only country that spies on other countries.

Hopefully this is in the correct thread.

Yeah—spying on both friends and foes. IIRC, both Israel and France have been caught spying on us in the past. Not that that makes it right. Probably a lot of countries do it. To some extent.

screw him. people act like we are the only country that spies on other countries.

Yeah—spying on both friends and foes. IIRC, both Israel and France have been caught spying on us in the past. Not that that makes it right. Probably a lot of countries do it. To some extent.

It is widely thought that all Air France first class seats are bugged. Since most large french corporations are either wholly or partially owned by the government this makes for good business.

Also didn't we deport half a dozen Russian spies a few years ago?

It is widely thought that all Air France first class seats are bugged. Since most large french corporations are either wholly or partially owned by the government this makes for good business.

Also didn't we deport half a dozen Russian spies a few years ago?

Yeah. But that's expected. I mean, is Russia really our trusted friend now? Despite the demise of communist USSR?