Racism Alive and Well

My wife watching Entertainment Tonight last night when they showed an interview with Oprah Winfrey. She said that when she was in Switzerland she went into a store and asked to look at a bag. The woman politely said no and that the bag was too expensive.

She immediately assumed it was because she was black and no on e had ever heard of her. At no point did she think that they don't want ANYONE touching the garment because it is too expensive or made out of a rare textile that they can't have people constantly touching.

She then blasted the town so bad that the mayor of said town came on her show to personally apologize.

Racist or no?

My wife watching Entertainment Tonight last night when they showed an interview with Oprah Winfrey. She said that when she was in Switzerland she went into a store and asked to look at a bag. The woman politely said no and that the bag was too expensive.

She immediately assumed it was because she was black and no on e had ever heard of her. At no point did she think that they don't want ANYONE touching the garment because it is too expensive or made out of a rare textile that they can't have people constantly touching.

She then blasted the town so bad that the mayor of said town came on her show to personally apologize.

Racist or no?

i read this somewhere and it stuck with me:

Whites’ assertion that race doesn’t matter reflects their independent side, which believes that people are unique and separate from their race, culture, and history. In contrast, people of color’s assertion that race matters very much reflects their interdependent side, which is aware that other people see their color first, and their individual qualities second, if at all.

white people do not know what it is like to always have to wonder if a negative interaction with another person is because of the color of their skin or something else. i mean, surely white people have been profiled, but not because of the historical context of their race and current negative stereotypes. it would be more likely because of their style or behavior, which they can control and change.

as far as oprah, according to you, the sales lady did give her a reason. she said it was too expensive. why would she have assumed that? is a lot of their products too expensive for their customers? sounds like a bad business plan. maybe oprah overreacted by having the mayor on her show, i do not know the full story. but if i was at a store and wanted to look at something because i was interested in it or buying it, i would be offended if a sales person said no because it was 'too expensive'.

Assuming she is telling the truth. I mean, we only have one side of the story and she could conceivably have reason to not tell the truth so we should probably assume she's lying, right.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

The difference being that the store clerk is physically capable of sharing her side of the story if she desires. And really, if you can't comprehend the difference between a handbag and a murder trial, well, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Racist or no?

i read this somewhere and it stuck with me:

Whites’ assertion that race doesn’t matter reflects their independent side, which believes that people are unique and separate from their race, culture, and history. In contrast, people of color’s assertion that race matters very much reflects their interdependent side, which is aware that other people see their color first, and their individual qualities second, if at all.

white people do not know what it is like to always have to wonder if a negative interaction with another person is because of the color of their skin or something else. i mean, surely white people have been profiled, but not because of the historical context of their race and current negative stereotypes. it would be more likely because of their style or behavior, which they can control and change.

as far as oprah, according to you, the sales lady did give her a reason. she said it was too expensive. why would she have assumed that? is a lot of their products too expensive for their customers? sounds like a bad business plan. maybe oprah overreacted by having the mayor on her show, i do not know the full story. but if i was at a store and wanted to look at something because i was interested in it or buying it, i would be offended if a sales person said no because it was 'too expensive'.

Being that it was Switzerland, I would guess that it might have been racially motivated. But the other side of the coin could have been that of say an antique store or something like that where they have certain items that are look but don't touch until you buy it. It has happened to me before.

Being that it was Switzerland, I would guess that it might have been racially motivated. But the other side of the coin could have been that of say an antique store or something like that where they have certain items that are look but don't touch until you buy it. It has happened to me before.

i understand what you are saying. and i am not trying to be combative or argumentative. however, when it happens to you, you probably do not wonder if it was because the person was judging you based on your race. i do not know what that would be like, but i think i would be offended. and, right or wrong, with oprah's power, stature, ego, i do not think you want to offend her.

i understand what you are saying. and i am not trying to be combative or argumentative. however, when it happens to you, you probably do not wonder if it was because the person was judging you based on your race. i do not know what that would be like, but i think i would be offended. and, right or wrong, with oprah's power, stature, ego, i do not think you want to offend her.

You're right 100%. I didn't take your comments as combative or argumentative. I usually base personal situations like this on my looking poor. Which I do...and am.

Assuming she is telling the truth. I mean, we only have one side of the story and she could conceivably have reason to not tell the truth so we should probably assume she's lying, right.

The difference being that the store clerk is physically capable of sharing her side of the story if she desires. And really, if you can't comprehend the difference between a handbag and a murder trial, well, I'm not sure what to tell you.

What difference does it make if we are able or not to get the other side of the story as long as we don't have it? We still only have the testimony of one party.

What is the appropriate level of crime confrontation at which the line can be drawn to differentiate where we can believe someone or not?

Edit: changed my wording to be more encompassing considering the two situations that are being referenced.

Edited by Mavric

What difference does it make if we are able or not to get the other side of the story as long as we don't have it? We still only have the testimony of one party.

Maybe the silence from the offending party is your answer.

EDIT: To be clear, I don't give a flying crap about the Oprah story one way or the other. I simply think that the comparison between this and the Zimmerman trial is, to put it nicely, beyond absurd.