Egypt - I guess that worked out well supporting M. Brotherhood

The "things" I was talking about were conditions in Egypt and the perception of US foreign policy in that part of the world.

Not sure how you get there from here . . .

Maybe if we pretend that the Egyptian people are happy with our politics, then things will get better.

The "things" I was talking about were conditions in Egypt and the perception of US foreign policy in that part of the world.

Not sure how you get there from here . . .

Maybe if we pretend that the Egyptian people are happy with our politics, then things will get better.

Why? Do you not view our foreign policy and meddling in other countries affairs as part of our politics? I do.

Do you not view our foreign policy and meddling in other countries affairs as part of our politics?

Not really. "Politics," imo, carries a domestic affairs connotation.

When I hear "politics" I think elections, domestic policy, politicians, etc. Egyptian opinions and the conditions in Egypt are awfully far down that list if they're on it at all.

Do you not view our foreign policy and meddling in other countries affairs as part of our politics?

Not really. "Politics," imo, carries a domestic affairs connotation.

When I hear "politics" I think elections, domestic policy, politicians, etc. Egyptian opinions and the conditions in Egypt are awfully far down that list if they're on it at all.

Well I guess that explains the disconnect between my politics comment and a couple of the rather strange responses to it. I sure didn't intend to throw a monkey wrench into the discussion.

Most of the billions are for military aid. One of the more robust, stable military outfits we give $$$. I'm sure oil is part of the equation also.

Guess thats a billion and a half we can start saving...

Continuing monetary "aid" to Egypt is like throwing hundred dollar bills at a one legged stripper...

Doesn't matter if they're an "ally" or not, they're on the edge of the cauldron of sh*t that is the middle east, and why in the hell are we giving them 1.5 billion a year???

middle-east-oil-and-clash-of-two-civilizations.jpg.crop_display.jpg

Egypt is 28th in oil production, which is 0.8% of the world's production. Just ahead of the state of North Dakota.

https://en.wikipedia..._oil_production

Maybe N Dak should demand 1.45 billion in aid?

Regional. Not just Egypt.

I think that I had to point that out in the Syria thread as well . . . :P

Edit: found it. http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/65372-the-palin-doctrine-let-allah-sort-it-out/page__view__findpost__p__1173289

• Fire 1

Doesn't matter if they're an "ally" or not, they're on the edge of the cauldron of sh*t that is the middle east, and why in the hell are we giving them 1.5 billion a year???

middle-east-oil-and-clash-of-two-civilizations.jpg.crop_display.jpg

Egypt is 28th in oil production, which is 0.8% of the world's production. Just ahead of the state of North Dakota.

https://en.wikipedia..._oil_production

Maybe N Dak should demand 1.45 billion in aid?

Regional. Not just Egypt.

I think that I had to point that out in the Syria thread as well . . . :P

Edit: found it. http://www.huskerboa...ost__p__1173289

And it goes back to what I said (which I'm not going to link), if they want to off each other in droves, then have at it. Not sure why people have it stuck in their noggins that because we're going to go over there, it's going to stop the 1000+ years of animosity that they have for each other...

And it goes back to what I said (which I'm not going to link), if they want to off each other in droves, then have at it. Not sure why people have it stuck in their noggins that because we're going to go over there, it's going to stop the 1000+ years of animosity that they have for each other...

I don't think we can put out the fires . . . I think the idea is to keep them contained and keep the oil flowing.

Then again, it's quite possible that I have an overly simplistic view of foreign policy.

FWIW, I agree with you about the 1,000+ years of animosity. The middle east will probably be a powder keg into the distant future. Too many religious radicals combined with $$$$

I don't think we can put out the fires . . . I think the idea is to keep them contained and keep the oil flowing.

Then again, it's quite possible that I have an overly simplistic view of foreign policy.

FWIW, I agree with you about the 1,000+ years of animosity. The middle east will probably be a powder keg into the distant future. Too many religious radicals combined with $$$$

I concur, I think the "fires" will be put out. As for keeping them contained, I think that will be next to impossible with what has happened up to this point and peoples perception of things...

The only way I could even see keeping them contained would be a complete disarmament of the middle east, and that will never happen...