Egypt - I guess that worked out well supporting M. Brotherhood

Most of the billions are for military aid. One of the more robust, stable military outfits we give $$$. I'm sure oil is part of the equation also.

Guess thats a billion and a half we can start saving...

Continuing monetary "aid" to Egypt is like throwing hundred dollar bills at a one legged stripper...

Egypt has been rather crucial in keeping the peace, more or less, in the Middle East, And $1.5 billion a year is well worth maintaining the stability in a region. And Egypt has been one of the more 'progressive' nations in that part of the world.

Most of the billions are for military aid. One of the more robust, stable military outfits we give $$$. I'm sure oil is part of the equation also.

Guess thats a billion and a half we can start saving...

Continuing monetary "aid" to Egypt is like throwing hundred dollar bills at a one legged stripper...

Egypt has been rather crucial in keeping the peace, more or less, in the Middle East, And $1.5 billion a year is well worth maintaining the stability in a region. And Egypt has been one of the more 'progressive' nations in that part of the world.

They were crucial in keeping the peace in the Yom Kippur War, and getting it handed to them in the 6 Day War. I'm guessing "progressive" means that they are on the lower end of the douchebag scale, as opposed to their neighbors?

So what are spending a billion and a half on again?

• 1 month later...

With everything going on over there, this entire situation is getting totally f**ed up.

You get rid of one dictator, a guy was elected through elections who we really don't want with his ties to the Muslim Brotherhood. Once in office, he started acting like a dictator again. Soooo....the military threw him out of office and wants to have new elections. The Muslim Brotherhood is all pissed off because they are claiming "their guy" was elected fairly..well...as far as we know...he was.

I know it's been said before but it needs to be said again. We need to stay as far away from this mine field as possible. If we get involved, we are either supporting the Muslim Brotherhood (for which we already looked like we were) or we are going against legally elected officials.

With everything going on over there, this entire situation is getting totally f**ed up.

You get rid of one dictator, a guy was elected through elections who we really don't want with his ties to the Muslim Brotherhood. Once in office, he started acting like a dictator again. Soooo....the military threw him out of office and wants to have new elections. The Muslim Brotherhood is all pissed off because they are claiming "their guy" was elected fairly..well...as far as we know...he was.

I know it's been said before but it needs to be said again. We need to stay as far away from this mine field as possible. If we get involved, we are either supporting the Muslim Brotherhood (for which we already looked like we were) or we are going against legally elected officials.

All this proves is that out intel gathering community is sh*tting the proverbial bed...

You'd think they'd have done some sort of background check to see where this guy came from. Another reason the "new" CIA needs to go back to it's old ways...

All this proves is that out intel gathering community is sh*tting the proverbial bed...

You'd think they'd have done some sort of background check to see where this guy came from. Another reason the "new" CIA needs to go back to it's old ways...

Completely...100% agree.

• 7 months later...

What I'm going to find really interesting is how the rest of the ME looks at Egypt sentencing 528 Muslim Brotherhood supporters to death.

With their views towards things like that against Muslims, I could see the entire region blowing up.

Maybe. I don't know that there is a whole lot of solidarity amongst Muslims in the various countries unless they have an outside force to rally against. In other words, they don't seem to care nearly as much about Muslim on Muslim violence as they would if it were some country from outside the Middle East committing the same acts.