OG Alex Lewis

Look, I don't have an issue with guys "having an edge" on the field. But, they need to understand that it needs to "stay on the field". Giving guys a pass on beating someone up after a few drinks just because he's a football player is parthetic. I have no idea what Alex Lewis did during this incident, and I will let the criminal process play out. But, if he beat the crap out of some guy after having a number of drinks, I think it's pretty pathetic.

Grant Wistrom played with a certain edge on the field, but I don't remember anything about him being a punk off the field. There is a difference.

it's not about giving them a pass. And it's not about saying that Wistrom shoulda been that way. But it is about saying that in many instances this is the case. Not all football players are, but a lot are (not most, not a majority-but a lot) are like this. I've been to a couple football player parties too at measly Hastings College............

A lot of these guys are just a different breed. Cuz in many instances, it takes a different breed to do what they do at the level that they want-or need-to do it.

Look, I don't have an issue with guys "having an edge" on the field. But, they need to understand that it needs to "stay on the field". Giving guys a pass on beating someone up after a few drinks just because he's a football player is parthetic. I have no idea what Alex Lewis did during this incident, and I will let the criminal process play out. But, if he beat the crap out of some guy after having a number of drinks, I think it's pretty pathetic.

Grant Wistrom played with a certain edge on the field, but I don't remember anything about him being a punk off the field. There is a difference.

it's not about giving them a pass. And it's not about saying that Wistrom shoulda been that way. But it is about saying that in many instances this is the case. Not all football players are, but a lot are (not most, not a majority-but a lot) are like this. I've been to a couple football player parties too at measly Hastings College............

A lot of these guys are just a different breed. Cuz in many instances, it takes a different breed to do what they do at the level that they want-or need-to do it.

I agree that football players tend to have violent tendencies, because the sport itself is so violent. I know that many football players will get into fights and try to use their size to intimidate people. But, is society supposed to excuse this type of behavior? I just don't understand the thoughts of people saying "we need more people who are willing to get in fights off the football field" because that's what the message seems to be in previous posts.

I agree that football players tend to have violent tendencies, because the sport itself is so violent. I know that many football players will get into fights and try to use their size to intimidate people. But, is society supposed to excuse this type of behavior? I just don't understand the thoughts of people saying "we need more people who are willing to get in fights off the football field" because that's what the message seems to be in previous posts.

Guys, athletes are competitive and passionate. These types of behaviors have ALWAYS been common place. It is nothing new. Athletes drink, they fight, they apologize, they move on.

It is when they do it to somebody that can't defend themselves that it becomes a problem. I say we stop passing judgement on the kid on the internet and the court of public opinion and let the real courts system iron this out.

Alcohol intensifies personality. If you are already a fiery person, alcohol makes it worse. There are more Alex Lewis types out there than Grant Wistroms. Understand this...

Wistrom was the exception, not Lewis.

Nobody is "excusing them". You said yourself that you will let the justice system work this out. I believe that is what everyone else is doing. Hey, if the judge sees it necessary to throw the book at him....fine. If this is a repeated issue with him where he is constantly getting into trouble and has problems with this off the field, then fine....I would support him being gone from the team. BUT, if this is an isolated incident where we (or at least I) don't know the situation behind the fight, then I will leave that judgement up to people closer to the situation to make that judgement.

The message does seem that way. I understand that. But i"m not trying to come off as it being that. I'm really not. I'm just trying to make light that it is pretty commonplace. Sometimes it's dealt with, and sometime it isnt. But it is not anything that is new or different. And that's the point im making is that there are many people that want a view of this side of things, and then become all shock and awe and try to go all right do'er when they see something from behind the scenes. My whole line of thought is not about whether it's right or wrong. Whether it should be held accountable or not. But of the fact that those who see things they dont wanna see, shouldnt put themselves in a position to see them, cuz there's nothing going on that is out of place. It's just the way it is. like high gas prices and crooked politics. It's not gonna change. It's just a intangible of the sport.