DE Rohan Blackwood [South Florida - Signed LOI]

Really liked Wisconsin said he thinks he found a home..... on twitter. Must not have liked it here, can't please em all, on to the next guy.

I can't help but wonder if he saw all the young talent on the DL and thought to himself that he would likely have to wait a long time to get on the field. I think it is going to be difficult to recruit for the front 7 this year for that reason. Not that we can't find kids who don't care about that but they are going to have to be the right kind of kids to commit into that kind of situation.

If he were to have committed and was better than any of the DL already here, Pelini would play him. This mythical "depth chart getting in the way" excuse is tired.

he probably saw that Madison is one of the best 3-4 college towns in America; that UW is one of the top 10 academic public institutions in America; that UW has 3 conference championships in the past three years and that they have a new, exciting coach (and new always sells). I doubt the NU depth chart was a factor.

This is not to dis NU. Lincoln is a nice place, NU has solid academics. But stacking up against Madison and UW's academics ... well, NU comes in behind. Their football success over the time frame a recruit cares about --- the past 3-5 years also heavily favors UW.

So... recruiting against them is not easy.

Really liked Wisconsin said he thinks he found a home..... on twitter. Must not have liked it here, can't please em all, on to the next guy.

I can't help but wonder if he saw all the young talent on the DL and thought to himself that he would likely have to wait a long time to get on the field. I think it is going to be difficult to recruit for the front 7 this year for that reason. Not that we can't find kids who don't care about that but they are going to have to be the right kind of kids to commit into that kind of situation.

If he were to have committed and was better than any of the DL already here, Pelini would play him. This mythical "depth chart getting in the way" excuse is tired.

I don't know what made you assume I am making an excuse. You honestly believe kids don't look at depth charts? I have heard too many kids interviewed who say that they chose a school for that exact reason. Obviously some kids believe that no one can be better than them. Other kids are more realistic and understand that very very few freshman DLineman end up playing nationally. Some might look at a guy like Gregory and a guy like McMullen who will be here for 2 and 3 more years respectively and and think "I don't know if I am going to see the field as much and as quickly as I would like here." Granted I have no inside knowledge of Blackwood that let's me know how he feels about it, but I promise you it will affect some Dlineman we recruit.

I don't know what made you assume I am making an excuse. You honestly believe kids don't look at depth charts? I have heard too many kids interviewed who say that they chose a school for that exact reason. Obviously some kids believe that no one can be better than them. Other kids are more realistic and understand that very very few freshman DLineman end up playing nationally. Some might look at a guy like Gregory and a guy like McMullen who will be here for 2 and 3 more years respectively and and think "I don't know if I am going to see the field as much and as quickly as I would like here." Granted I have no inside knowledge of Blackwood that let's me know how he feels about it, but I promise you it will affect some Dlineman we recruit.

The players that don't want to compete are the ones that look at depth charts. The fact that some of our true freshmen are playing and starting shows their willingness to look past the depth and work harder. And in the case of Adam Taylor, they accept a redshirt.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...