Combatting the "We Aren't Relevant" Argument

I think you've lost your own point in your own argument. So I'll quote your original post and your arrogant comment to the rest of us who think we've fallen out of the picture a bit when I tell you don't you think it's about time you shut your mouth?!

I haven't lost it - it was three pages ago. That's what happens on threads in messageboards. The topic and the focus and the arguments change.

As far as the original point, the article Shatel wrote that tschu linked sums up my position pretty eloquently. We're still a national brand - recruits still consider us a major offer with some mystique. At the same time, we have a ways, not miles, but some distance to go before we are demanding mass coverage for our on-the-field results.

Haha, sometimes the timing of articles makes you really wonder how much these guys read Huskerboard, Huskermax, Red Sea Scrolls, etc. You just really wonder...

Any time I see one of the media guys in public I'm always tempted to walk up and say, "Hey, I'm Landlord of Memorial Stadium." and see if I can read their facial expression for a tell that they know exactly who that is.

I'll throw the floor open to those of you who were alive and aware of what was happening around them in the 1980s - were we a part of the national championship discussion most of that decade? Did you expect to be every year? Did opponents prepare for us like we were a contender each year?

I think you've lost your own point in your own argument. So I'll quote your original post and your arrogant comment to the rest of us who think we've fallen out of the picture a bit when I tell you don't you think it's about time you shut your mouth?!

I haven't lost it - it was three pages ago. That's what happens on threads in messageboards. The topic and the focus and the arguments change.

As far as the original point, the article Shatel wrote that tschu linked sums up my position pretty eloquently. We're still a national brand - recruits still consider us a major offer with some mystique. At the same time, we have a ways, not miles, but some distance to go before we are demanding mass coverage for our on-the-field results.

Haha, sometimes the timing of articles makes you really wonder how much these guys read Huskerboard, Huskermax, Red Sea Scrolls, etc. You just really wonder...

Any time I see one of the media guys in public I'm always tempted to walk up and say, "Hey, I'm Landlord of Memorial Stadium." and see if I can read their facial expression for a tell that they know exactly who that is.

Yea I don't blame you. When someone did you a favor of changing the direction of this thread, my next comment would have been quick and completely in that opposite direction too. Can't blame you a bit, it wasn't going well for you.

Well to be fair I was going to nitpick Landlord's original statement compared with what Shatel wrote and point out how there are some distinct differences between the two standpoints (although there are similarities) but I think by and large we have all made Landlord aware that we by and large disagree with him and beating that dead horse any longer would probably be a waste of everyone's time. So I thought I would derail the trainwreck, so to speak, if you're into railroad analogies that don't make a lick of sense.

Well to be fair I was going to nitpick Landlord's original statement compared with what Shatel wrote and point out how there are some distinct differences between the two standpoints (although there are similarities) but I think by and large we have all made Landlord aware that we by and large disagree with him and beating that dead horse any longer would probably be a waste of everyone's time. So I thought I would derail the trainwreck, so to speak, if you're into railroad analogies that don't make a lick of sense.

I can "get on board " with this. I think your right. Point has been made.

I mean, you don't actually get on a board do you? All aboard!

• Fire 1

In 1984 through 1987, Nebraska was ranked (AP) #1, #2, #5, and #1 respectively going into the Oklahoma game (final regular season game). Not only was Nebraska in the NC hunt in each of those 4 years, but they were playing in a "play-in" game so-to-speak for National championship game. This is in addition to actually playing for National title in 1981 and 1983, and Nebraska was ranked #3 going into the bowl game in 1982. Until 1988, Nebraska spent most of (meaning pretty much all) that decade in the National title hunt.

• Fire 1

I don't know I'm feeling a bit lacking in patience today and saw a post about this.

To anyone that is spouting off at the mouth and/or actually believes that Nebraska is an afterthought in the national spotlight, that we aren't relevant on the national stage, that nobody has Nebraska in mind or whatever similar train of thought you want to throw in there - can you just shut your mouths?

It's simply not true.

We ranked 14th in the nation in merchandise sold.

We've played every single game on national television for the last two years - and every single game on some kind of television for the last five.

20 of our last 27 games have been on ABC, ESPN or FOX.

We've been ranked in the top 10 nationally 14 weeks over the last three season.

We've been ranked in the top 25 nationally 37 out of 46 weeks over the four seasons.

We've played for three BCS conference championship games in the last four seasons - losing two of them by a combined 4 points.

One of our very own just won the ESPY award for "Sports Moment of the Year"

The team's Harlem Shake video has gone viral with several million views and ESPN features.

We just won ESPN's "Ultimate Team Championship" tournament or whatever the hell it's called.

Yeah I know I know.... "we get embarassed every time we are on national primetime" - I know that. Everybody knows that. The thing is, if we weren't relevant, nobody would know about it.

So just stop. Stop being obtuse and stop depracating on our program, coaches and players. We are plenty relevant.

Those are some uplifting stats. I feel a little glowy now.

Comparing the 80s teams with teams now is a joke for a lot of reasons and it starts with the game being different on and off the field.

I agree. Comparison is not reasonable. But I was just showing that Nebraska actually was in the NC hunt year in, year out-late LATE into the year I might add-during that stretch.

Also, I believe we are relevant. Nebraska still gets talked about on the national stage for various reasons. That's relevance.

Comparing the 80s teams with teams now is a joke for a lot of reasons and it starts with the game being different on and off the field.

I agree. Comparison is not reasonable. But I was just showing that Nebraska actually was in the NC hunt year in, year out-late LATE into the year I might add-during that stretch.

Also, I believe we are relevant. Nebraska still gets talked about on the national stage for various reasons. That's relevance.

I suppose relevance is all relative.

I see relevance differently than some. I dont see it as having to be champions or being in such a mix year in year out to be relevant. Nebraska gets talked about. Whether it's our fans, Team jack at the ESPY's, facilities, conference move, or even Bo's tantrums, Nebraska gets talked about. That's being relevant in my opinion. Indiana? Purdue? Kansas? Iowa St? That's irrelevant.