Combatting the "We Aren't Relevant" Argument

It's not illogical to think your relevent even if your relvancy is illogical. :D

That had the potential to sound halfway smart if you had actually spelled things right and used the right form of your/you're/ur

ur cray, imo

im cray

246434_10200812408175236_1867009073_n.jpg

Go+to+your+room+_4ae25359640603a379e3526f493d1347.png

It's not illogical to think your relevent even if your relvancy is illogical. :D

That had the potential to sound halfway smart if you had actually spelled things right and used the right form of your/you're/ur

ur cray, imo

im cray

246434_10200812408175236_1867009073_n.jpg

u srs?

Sorry I ain't got me one of them there fancy edumaction like your hab.

/ wondering if there are threads on the tOSU or MeeChicken boards making fun of this thread....

Their opinions are irrelevant. Fact.

No, I'm pretty sure that's an opinion.

:)

So youre tellin me that the opinions of folks on the message boards of Michigan and Ohio St about the Relevant thread on huskerboard could quite possibly be relevant? When in fact, all opinions are irrelevant. That's why theyre opinions. Only facts are relevant. And the fact that what they think about our relavance is actually opinion proves that such opinions are in fact irrelevant.

Since this thread turned into a nonserious one pretty quickly. . . Accountability, I usually like reading your posts, but I have to adamantly disagree with your statement, and I am paraphrasing, "that opinions are always irrelevant."

/ wondering if there are threads on the tOSU or MeeChicken boards making fun of this thread....

Their opinions are irrelevant. Fact.

No, I'm pretty sure that's an opinion.

:)

So youre tellin me that the opinions of folks on the message boards of Michigan and Ohio St about the Relevant thread on huskerboard could quite possibly be relevant? When in fact, all opinions are irrelevant. That's why theyre opinions. Only facts are relevant. And the fact that what they think about our relavance is actually opinion proves that such opinions are in fact irrelevant.

Since this thread turned into a nonserious one pretty quickly. . . Accountability, I usually like reading your posts, but I have to adamantly disagree with your statement, and I am paraphrasing, "that opinions are always irrelevant."

That's just your opinion. And a relevant one.

>> Ralph Russo, national AP college football writer: “Nebraska has fallen into a weird place where it is not good enough to come up in the national championship conversation, and hasn't been for several years.

“But the Huskers aren't bad enough, as they were for a couple seasons under Callahan, for guys like me to lament, 'What has gone wrong with Nebraska?' They have the helmets and the history and the name recognition, but we're going on about a decade where the Huskers are just another team that consistently is in contention to win its conference, like Clemson or Georgia or Wisconsin.”

>> Bruce Feldman, CBSsports.com: “I think people outside of Nebraska probably would be surprised to see just how good of a record Pelini has had with all those 10- and nine-win seasons. The problem is there hasn't been any signature wins. Their record wasn't bad last year, but with that dreadful showing in the Big Ten title game, and then giving up 45 and losing by two touchdowns in the bowl, leaves some of us wondering if they can get this program back to being a legit top 10 team again.”

>> Chris Dufresne, Los Angeles Times and president of the Football Writers Association of America: “I have the Huskers at No. 16, a cut below upper echelon. The offense should be potent, but the defense is not where I thought Pelini would get it ... yet. Nebraska without a good D is like, well, Nebraska with Callahan. Ouch.”

>> George Schroeder, USA Today: “Nebraska's tradition ranks among college football's all-time best. But we live in a world that is outdated as soon as it is re-tweeted. Tradition that actually brings a tangible return is about 24 seconds old. Everything has changed, including the Huskers' uniforms.

“To be considered elite, programs must play in and win BCS bowls and contend for the crystal football. It has been far too long since Nebraska did either.”

>> Staples, SI: “All they need to do is prove they can play defense. We know they can score. If the D is improved, they'll shoot up the rankings.”

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130817/HUSKERS/130819062/1002#shatel-signature-wins-can-get-nu-out-of-rank-and-file

• Fire 1
The national media wants us to be relevant.

Many have tried and tried to inject Martinez into the Heisman conversation. Why would they do that if we don't matter?

Maybe there is a lack of momentum right now, but if we blasted UCLA and T-Mart ran for three scores.... BOOM, suddenly there would be more talk about us.

OMG. I almost spit my coffee all over my iPad when I read Martinez and Heisman in the same sentence. NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!!

Regarding the relevance of the Husker football program, it depends somewhat of ones definition of relevance. One definition is "pertinent to the matter at hand." So what is the matter at hand? Is it being on TV? By some people's standards I suppose that's so. BTW- The Huskers have NOT played all their games on national TV the last two years. Many, if not most of those were regional broadcasts. Is relevance measured by jersey sales? I think not. Is relevance measure by "feel good stories" or ESPYs won? Hey, I have a Team Jack t-shirt that I wear proudly, but is that really a sign of relevance? Look I could go on and on but here's the deal. Relevance in college football to me means being a threat to win conference and national championships. In that regard, I offer a resounding NO, we aren't relevant. What I find particularly disturbing are people who feel a need to lower the bar of expectations to make it seem as though we ARE relevant. I can't stand those who keep spouting off about winning 9-10 games every year like its such a terrific accomplishment. Is it better than LOSING 9-10 games every year? Of course. But THIS IS NEBRASKA people. There was a time when we were, year in and year out a threat to win the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. Tell me. When was the last time the Huskers were LEGITIMATE contenders for the NT? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? How about a conference crown? Last year was our best chance in many many years and that was only because OSU wasn't eligible to play in the CCG. Here's the deal. For me personally, we are NOT relevant in the world of college football, at least not when compared to the decades of success we had that seemingly ended a little over a decade ago. And for me, THAT should be the measuring stick of where we're at as a program. Were we spoiled during the Devaney-Osborne era? Absolutely! Be that as it may, I refuse to lower the standard by which I judge this programs "relevance."

• Fire 5

>> Ralph Russo, national AP college football writer: “Nebraska has fallen into a weird place where it is not good enough to come up in the national championship conversation, and hasn't been for several years.

“But the Huskers aren't bad enough, as they were for a couple seasons under Callahan, for guys like me to lament, 'What has gone wrong with Nebraska?' They have the helmets and the history and the name recognition, but we're going on about a decade where the Huskers are just another team that consistently is in contention to win its conference, like Clemson or Georgia or Wisconsin.”

>> Bruce Feldman, CBSsports.com: “I think people outside of Nebraska probably would be surprised to see just how good of a record Pelini has had with all those 10- and nine-win seasons. The problem is there hasn't been any signature wins. Their record wasn't bad last year, but with that dreadful showing in the Big Ten title game, and then giving up 45 and losing by two touchdowns in the bowl, leaves some of us wondering if they can get this program back to being a legit top 10 team again.”

>> Chris Dufresne, Los Angeles Times and president of the Football Writers Association of America: “I have the Huskers at No. 16, a cut below upper echelon. The offense should be potent, but the defense is not where I thought Pelini would get it ... yet. Nebraska without a good D is like, well, Nebraska with Callahan. Ouch.”

>> George Schroeder, USA Today: “Nebraska's tradition ranks among college football's all-time best. But we live in a world that is outdated as soon as it is re-tweeted. Tradition that actually brings a tangible return is about 24 seconds old. Everything has changed, including the Huskers' uniforms.

“To be considered elite, programs must play in and win BCS bowls and contend for the crystal football. It has been far too long since Nebraska did either.”

>> Staples, SI: “All they need to do is prove they can play defense. We know they can score. If the D is improved, they'll shoot up the rankings.”

http://www.omaha.com...f-rank-and-file

Looks like Shatel got ahold of Huskerboard's thread.......hehe

Relevance in college football to me means being a threat to win conference and national championships.

Oh cool so we are relevant then. Considering we've played in three conference championship games over the last four years.

But THIS IS NEBRASKA people. There was a time when we were, year in and year out a threat to win the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

Yeah that happened during the 90's. and I guess for two years during the 70's. So you want to hold our program to a standard that it's only been at for a roughly combined 10 years of it's 100+ year existence? Even though the climate for being dominant is less favorable than ever, especially for a school with our disadvantages?

You're living a fairly tale.