Combatting the "We Aren't Relevant" Argument

The argument that we have been irrelevant on the recruiting trail is soft-witted. We are going to field one of the best offenses in the country this year, and that doesn't happen through the path of irrelevancy when it comes to recruiting. These past few recruiting classes, Nebraska has held their own very well. As EZ said, I wouldn't trade these past two classes with anyone in the conference. I don't know why, as a fan, you would base our recruiting relevance on whether a "scout" pundit thinks our class is good or not. A kid's offer sheet is largely what they base their "stars" on anyways, and if Bo and his staff have proven anything with recruiting, it's that they are prone to being first to a kid, and when we offer, other big time offers seem to follow. This staff finds recruiting gems that other programs, and the recruiting sites were never high on (Martinez, Abdullah, Bell) and from this past class still to be proven (Gerry, Collins, Maurice, Joseph, Carter, Mixon).....

We are anything but irrelevant on the recruiting front, especially these past couple years....

I think you are using the term "relevance" as a synonym to "success" which isn't the point of the discussion. No one is saying that the recruiting classes are bad. No one is saying Nebraska football is bad. It's just not as relevant on the national stage as some think it is. That "scout" at rivals or 247 is also usually a journalist, and they are the ones that are feeding the hype that feeds the national discussion which results in national relevance and exposure. When it comes to recruiting, on signing day few if anyone outside of the state of Nebraska is discussing Pelini's class. Doesn't in any way indicate the potential for success is low, just that the exposure is low, and the excitement it's generating nationally is low.. Perhaps we all have a difference of opinion on what relevance means. "bearing upon or connected with the matter in hand;pertinent:" If that's the definition you go by, the only thing discussing Pelini's recruiting would be pertinent to, is a discussion of the perceived gap between Michigan/Ohio State...and Nebraska. Which happens to be how Nebraska recruiting generally enters the national discussion.

/ wondering if there are threads on the tOSU or MeeChicken boards making fun of this thread....

After MU was 8-5 last year Id hope they were wiser than that.

and they are still more relevant than us.

If your name is Desmond Howard.

national relevancy is a media construct, obviously. notre dame gets as much attention for being bad as they do for being good, similarly as the yankees.

Exactly, all the national media cares about is how many butts are sitting in front of a TV watching their programming. Nebraska not being relevant is what makes sense in their minds because they can't understand how a small market share state could be really good at something. When Nebraska is really good they have to cover them, but when they aren't at the top end they don't have to so much.

This in itself really doesn't make sense though because Nebraska has a fairly large national following, and Nebraska fans are loyal to the core. They like to show our games because we always get a good market share, but they don't want to talk about us.

I know these two things are contradictory, but people that have lived on the East Coast their whole life think anything west of Pittsburg is the end of civilization. Nebraska is a fly over state.

/ wondering if there are threads on the tOSU or MeeChicken boards making fun of this thread....

After MU was 8-5 last year Id hope they were wiser than that.

and they are still more relevant than us.

If your name is Desmond Howard.

michigan gets way more national love than our beloved 'skers, and it has been that way for some time now. among their popular rivalry with osu, playing nd, and whatever else, they seem to keep at least espn interested.

nebraska is at a disadvantage when it comes to relevancy. we are a small market on the great plains. we have to earn all the attention we get. part of the reason i was so glad we joined the B1G was because the B1G will always have a national presence. if we are competitive within the league, we should too. and although we won our division last year, the national audience probably did not see us as all that competitive of a team, especially considering how weak the B1G was.

This in itself really doesn't make sense though because Nebraska has a fairly large national following, and Nebraska fans are loyal to the core. They like to show our games because we always get a good market share, but they don't want to talk about us.

this is paradoxical, but it makes sense. we have a large audience watch our games perhaps, but i doubt we move the meter when it comes to daily programming. also, daily programming is more to get the attention of the casual, national sports fan. not the fans already dedicate to cfb.

I think there's also a lot of jealous envy from the National media as well of Nebraska. You could really feel it in the 90's when we were on our big run. I think it stems from the fact that all the additional challenges we face in numerous areas should not allow us to be any good, yet Nebraska's found a way to be very good if not great, to even elite for all-except maybe 4-6 years-of the last 5 decades. Nebraska as a program always has to overcome lack of in-state high school talent, lack of population base, lack of a large recruting draw (that's changed recently with the facilities of course) and so on and so on. The other programs simply do not have those challenges to overcome.

Their opinions are irrelevant. Fact.

No, I'm pretty sure that's an opinion.

:)

So youre tellin me that the opinions of folks on the message boards of Michigan and Ohio St about the Relevant thread on huskerboard could quite possibly be relevant? When in fact, all opinions are irrelevant. That's why theyre opinions. Only facts are relevant. And the fact that what they think about our relavance is actually opinion proves that such opinions are in fact irrelevant.