Thread to brag about Newby

Hayseed

Newby is a solid #3 back for us, but I don't see him jumping over Abdullah or Cross. I think he was played the second half in order to put fresh legs up against a tiring defense and it worked.

It could be my memory failing, but didn't we also have a fullback in during a lot of his carries?

Again, Newby looked good, but certainly not any better than the two backs in front of him. I remember Ahman Green and Roger Craig suffered from the same fan wisdom in that they should move aside and let the "real talent" on the field...

I agree, but I think he will be special and be better than our backs that we have recently had. Not saying they are bad, but he has the potential to be really really good.

We saw what the coaches saw. He's young, but that meant nothing. He played excellent. A lot of times he was doing it with minimal blocking too. I thought Cross was probably the most impressive of all the RB. AA had a hell of a game as well. Really excited to watch all three of these guys the rest of the year. I hope this offensive line shows us a bit more effort the rest of the year.

all three guys would be a very, very good #1 back. That we have a Jr, a So, and a fr --- each of whom can be trusted and upon whom we can place a major load and trust that they will excel --- well that is a great thing.

This is a talented team in general (though not at every position by any means... but generally, this team has some talent) --- and the WR and the RB positions are doubtless the most talented positions we have.

Obvious why they were good with Taylor shirting. Not only is a four-back juggling-act damn hard to pull-off but Cross has improved and Newby is obviously the goods. Expected a high school running-style out of him but the kid doesn't just look to juke and cut everything outside. He'll find the seam and put his head down to take what's there, broke some tackles too.

Can anyone remember a true frosh Husker RB who looked better than Newby? I can't.

He's gonna be goooood! :thumbs:

Calvin Jones and Ahman Green.

But this kid is the real deal.

Those guys were more straight ahead....LP comes to mind as far as slippery quickness, plus both of those guys were a lot bigger than Newby and Phillips were as frosh

This is the thread to brag about Newby, not to detract from anyone else. I'm sure there are a lot of people like me who didn't expect to see what we saw and are pretty excited about our talent at I-back. I remember when Osborne had the We-backs...now we have three great backs with unique styles who should be able to get the job done in any situation.

Video please. I didn't see the 4th quarter

I'm sorry I didn't bring my GoPro last night. :P

I brought mine, but my 4 year old had enough at the end of the 3rd so I had to leave. I only saw him in on one play, and as usual our perimeter blocking sucked so he just ran out of bounds.