2-gapping preventing QB pressure?

35 1st downs - a new all time record against NU

Is this serious? Are you serious? Is this real life?

It is a fact. 74 snaps and 35 first downs.

tumblr_micjuygHEJ1rb64tdo1_400.jpg

I'm laughing when people mention their third down conversion percentage. They never f'ing faced a third down.

Interesting stat would be what opponents third down conversion rate is against Bo's defenses the last few years? It doesn't seem like we ever get stops.

I'm laughing when people mention their third down conversion percentage. They never f'ing faced a third down.

Interesting stat would be what opponents third down conversion rate is against Bo's defenses the last few years? It doesn't seem like we ever get stops.

Are you being serious here, because that's just false?

He's being serious. But he's using hyperbole. Let's just go one day without taking everything 100% literal. Read between the lines.

Make no mistake, we got a good push up front, but even with guys in his face he was able to complete passes into tight windows.

Maybe a dozen times out of, what, 78 plays? The vast majority of the time it was the same ol' patty-cake we've grown accustom to.

I've only rewatched the first half but we actually had pretty good pressure just rushing 4 guys. It was just a combination of things on different plays that let us down; either we played off coverage and he got the ball out quick, Smith moved around in the pocket well enough to buy time and get the pass off, or our rush was just uncoordinated and guys were hitting the same gap and running into each other. The newbies on the line pushed they're guys back almost all night, it's the salty old "veterans" that seemed to be struggling.

Thank you.

He's being serious. But he's using hyperbole. Let's just go one day without taking everything 100% literal. Read between the lines.

So everything a joke then got it... Let's all be facetious today!

So everything a joke then got it... Let's all be facetious today!

It was neither of those things.

I really don't give a carp. Yes the lack of 3rd downs is disgusting but when we did get them there we were dominate.

It's the first f'ing game. We can all go pout and bitch about how we've given up 600 yards the last three games, or we can realize it's the first game with a young vanilla defense against a pretty solid QB and things are going to go wrong. We have another tune up game left before we should really start pooping our pants. If anything this is probably the best result we could have asked for. There's a lot of film to learn from now. We'll see if they're really students of the game or not, because the talent is there it's just down to the execution again.

imo.

I really don't give a carp. Yes the lack of 3rd downs is disgusting but when we did get them there we were dominate.

It's the first f'ing game. We can all go pout and bitch about how we've given up 600 yards the last three games, or we can realize it's the first game with a young vanilla defense against a pretty solid QB and things are going to go wrong. We have another tune up game left before we should really start pooping our pants. If anything this is probably the best result we could have asked for. There's a lot of film to learn from now. We'll see if they're really students of the game or not, because the talent is there it's just down to the execution again.

imo.

Z, I understand where you're coming from, but the fact that worry's me is that we gave up over 200 yards to one of the worst rush offenses in the nation...

And what worries me more, is that there didn't seem to be any adjustments made to way the defense was run what so ever. If our D sucks in the first quarter, but changes are made and there's a noticeable improvement by the second quarter, then thats all you can ask for...

They kept doing the same thing that wasn't working, and they kept pounding a square peg into a round hole for almost 4 quarters, with the two series in the 3rd quarter where we thought they had made the adjustments...

imo.

Z, I understand where you're coming from, but the fact that worry's me is that we gave up over 200 yards to one of the worst rush offenses in the nation...

And what worries me more, is that there didn't seem to be any adjustments made to way the defense was run what so ever. If our D sucks in the first quarter, but changes are made and there's a noticeable improvement by the second quarter, then thats all you can ask for...

They kept doing the same thing that wasn't working, and they kept pounding a square peg into a round hole for almost 4 quarters, with the two series in the 3rd quarter where we thought they had made the adjustments...

Don't you think the coaches knew that as well? I'm sure the gameplan going in was based on them going 4 or 5 wide and throwing it almost every down. We were in our dime defense with four d-linemen and a backer in the tackle box, that was all we had to stop the run, and when you have a defense spread out as much as they did, there are going to be open running lanes everywhere.

Also, they had the entire offseason to prepare for this game. This was probably their entire season, much like when Boise plays that one good BCS team at the beginning of the year. I am going to wait longer than one game to determine if the defense is a loss cause or not.

I don't think the defense is necessarily a lost cause. There is more talent, at least based on the eyeball test (Gregory, McMullen, Valentine). I think a lot of these guys have the natural ability to be a lot better than what we've seen around here in recent years. But it might be a 2 year project. And whether or not we have the coaching staff to sculpt them into a stout defense remains to be seen. The staff that built the '09 defense is long gone.

I hear you Walks. But a lot of the big runs in the first half were do to poor gap integrity by the tackles and just poor play by the linebackers. In the beginning VV in particular was just bum rushing up the field and wasn't paying attention to where the ball was. He seemed to settle down in the second half where we only gave up 46 rushing yards. There was only on 9 rushes but the average gain went down as well, still an unimpressive 5ypc though.

The QB runs were bad but I'm never really concerned about those unless you have someone like Miller, Denard, etc. You're going to give up big chunks to a mobile guy in the spread but we've proven in the past (Gabbert at Mizzou, Locker at Washington...) that we can live with that.